Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:21 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes, they're the exceptions! I'm happy to say that both kept their athletic builds after they got office jobs so I suspect they scaled back their eating accordingly.
When I was younger I worked out with school sports for 4 hours every day after school and on weekends. I didn't exercise the entire time but a lot of it.

Unfortunately when I went to college I didn't scale back and gained 40 lbs. Never been able to use it with college and then working.

But always tried dieting 80% reducing calories.

And that just hasn't worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 06:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
That's one of the problems with depending on exercise.
At some point you're going to have an injury, so you need to have your diet down so you don't blow up.
I don't depend on exercise. Exercise buttresses diet. Sure you could lose by diet alone...but, at least for me, I wanted more. I want to be lean, firm, and muscular, not thin and saggy.

The injury prevents me from doing weightlifting not exercise entirely.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
When I was younger I worked out with school sports for 4 hours every day after school and on weekends. I didn't exercise the entire time but a lot of it.

Unfortunately when I went to college I didn't scale back and gained 40 lbs. Never been able to use it with college and then working.

But always tried dieting 80% reducing calories.

And that just hasn't worked.
that's why diet AND exercise are the magic combination. Cutting calories works, sure. It has to be done. But sooner or later you'll hit a brick wall aka plateau. Thanks to diet and exercise, over the course of a 70 lbs loss, I only plateaued once.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:21 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
that's why diet AND exercise are the magic combination. Cutting calories works, sure. It has to be done. But sooner or later you'll hit a brick wall aka plateau. Thanks to diet and exercise, over the course of a 70 lbs loss, I only plateaued once.
Preach it girl. One without the other is just not as effective.
I also think and I am sure you will agree that exercising while dieting lifts self esteem tremendously. It reinforces commitment when the effects start to show and how good you start to feel.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:27 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
I have yet to plateau since August, 51 lbs lost. I've done cardio a couple days a week though most of it.
I doubt a plateau is going to happen since I'm only about 15 lbs from my goal.

If I did plateau at this point, I'd probably fast my way out of it instead of trying to run through it.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Well, not totally but, most of my dieting attempts have been cutting back on food and then, if I did exercise, not doing it until I started to get stuck. However, I think this process has simply it.
Yup.
Does. Not. Work.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I have yet to plateau since August, 51 lbs lost. I've done cardio a couple days a week though most of it.
I doubt a plateau is going to happen since I'm only about 15 lbs from my goal.

If I did plateau at this point, I'd probably fast my way out of it instead of trying to run through it.

ymmv.....though I think you did mention a plateau some time ago. Who knows.

if not eating at all is how you'd handle it, so be it, really. It's whatever works for you.

but being largely sedentary or minimally active is not a good thing, especially as a middle aged person, whether you can lose by other means or not.

i owe my body to working out AND eating a proper diet. i've never solely relied on exercise, but as I said, I want to be lean, firm, and muscular...not saggy and thin. i haven't gained weight because I've become injured, but I have lost muscle mass since I am not lifting much with my upper body.

the nice thing about working out (weightlifting specifically) is that I look firm and good even if I would gain...

Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Preach it girl. One without the other is just not as effective.
I also think and I am sure you will agree that exercising while dieting lifts self esteem tremendously. It reinforces commitment when the effects start to show and how good you start to feel.
Yup, working out gave me supreme confidence from day one. I started because I wanted to help my weight loss but over the course of two years, it became a craft. It made me keep going when I wanted to quit...if you've eaten poorly for years, who really wants to eat less? Working out made me a better dieter...

People who are really serious about fitness don't overeat and rely on exercise.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:29 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
ymmv.....though I think you did mention a plateau some time ago. Who knows.
I was on low carb for years and lost 20 lbs but I got stuck.
Since I started IF in August and then OMAD, I haven't been stuck since.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times
Quote:
I was on low carb for years and lost 20 lbs but I got stuck.
Since I started IF in August and then OMAD, I haven't been stuck since.
Is there a distinction between plateau and stall? I'm within acceptable numbers for my height and age, so my goals are to feel well and continue OMAD/autophagy. Even if I may go down a few 10ths of a lb. every few days, there's no rush and I'm going to let it go where it goes.

What I noticed recently, presumably from the effects of autophagy, is more definition in the shape of my arms and legs. Pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss