Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:24 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switz View Post
Calories from yesterday which is probably slightly on the high side a little in regards to diet the past two weeks. Even a little worse than normal due to what was for supper.

-2 cups soda (225 Calories)
- Half box of Hamburger Helper w/nothing else added (900 Calories)
- 2 Slim Fast shakes (260 calories)

So that's about my average since I started. That's what, around 1100-1400 calories per day
That’s nearly 1400 calories. That’s more than I can eat personally, and lose weight… But I am an older female, and most likely have a smaller calorie requirement than you do. Your are male correct? What is your weight and height? What is your activity level? All of those things are factors and play a part in your calorie burn.

And frankly - that’s just one day. And that’s if you are being honest. I’m not trying to offend you, but most people miss a lot of calories in their accounting. They forget about a taste of this and a taste of that and a small piece of something else. As I said earlier, the only way to do this correctly, for you, would be to start journaling regularly throughout the day. Use an app as suggested earlier. Enter all your information, and be HONEST. There is no one to cheat but yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 08:08 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,269,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Hamburger Helper is trash. Don’t eat processed foods like that. Same with Slim Fast.
Yeah, seriously... you're not gonna lose weight eating that crap.
You know what I eat a whole lot of?

Chicken!

You can go to the grocery store and buy a whole grilled chicken for cheap.
I eat half of one at a time. Taking the skin off the breast and thigh saves a lot of calories. I don't bother doing that with the leg and wing.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:30 AM

8 posts, read 13,201 times
I get there are 50 better ways to go about this that would give better results. And unless things change then that's the route I'll head.

Bit main question still applies. How is it biologically feasible to not lose weight when calorie count is reduced to 1100-1400 per day. I can't be the only one who's tried this method. As others have said, maybe it's water weight or maybe metabolism or both even. But it feels like eventually the weight should start coming off.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:47 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,831,741 times
Quote:
Calories from yesterday which is probably slightly on the high side a little in regards to diet the past two weeks. Even a little worse than normal due to what was for supper.

-2 cups soda (225 Calories)
- Half box of Hamburger Helper w/nothing else added (900 Calories)
- 2 Slim Fast shakes (260 calories)

So that's about my average since I started. That's what, around 1100-1400 calories per day
You need to clean up your diet. This is not a healthy way to eat by any measure.
Get rid of the soda and drink water instead. Ditch the hamburger helper and any other box food preparation. Slim fast is full of crap too.

Eat REAL food. I don't see any vegetables at all - learn to love them.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:49 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,831,741 times
Quote:
I get there are 50 better ways to go about this that would give better results. And unless things change then that's the route I'll head.

Bit main question still applies. How is it biologically feasible to not lose weight when calorie count is reduced to 1100-1400 per day. I can't be the only one who's tried this method. As others have said, maybe it's water weight or maybe metabolism or both even. But it feels like eventually the weight should start coming off.
Water weight only accounts for so much. You are more than likely not accurately counting calories. Get a small food scale.
Frankly people who are serious about losing weight do not eat the crap you are eating. I hate to be blunt, but if you want to lose weight you are going to have to get more serious about your diet.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Because you are CONSUMING MORE THAN YOU ARE BURNING. That’s it. No magic. No mystery.

The suggestion of a food scale is good. I’ve used one for 15 years. I eat 3.5 to 4 oz of grilled chicken for lunch...most days. I weigh it, every morning. Every recipe, every thing I buy...I weigh.

Add a 45 minute walk to your day. You should be able to cover 3 miles, and that’s around 250-300 calories depending on your weight.

And stop drinking sugared soda. Seriously. That’s just dumb.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:35 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,445,068 times
Quote:

First, I think you are overestimating how many calories you are really taking in. Is this literally EVERYTHING you ingest, including drinks? Coffee, anything? Are you weighing/measuring everything?

Second, although theoretically a calorie is a calorie, but I don't think that's necessarily true. And science is starting to say the same thing. Here's a link to a study done at Princeton (there are more too). They gave rats the exact, same number of calories. The only difference is that one group got their calories from high fructose corn syrup. THe other didn't. Guess what happened? The group that had the HFCS was 30% heavier. 30%. That's a lot. And they ate the same number of calories. Guess what's in all that processed crap you're eating?

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2010/...-syrup-prompts

Eat real food. Everyone is telling you that. What you are doing is obviously not working. Maybe you should listen to the advice and try it.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
First, I think you are overestimating how many calories you are really taking in. Is this literally EVERYTHING you ingest, including drinks? Coffee, anything? Are you weighing/measuringit.
No...he is UNDERESTIMATING.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:51 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,328,666 times
Quote:

If you stick to 1400 cal diet - your weight will start dropping off.
The comments on your food choices- eating like you do will not provide enough nutrients for you- vitamins, micronutrients, etc.
You will soon start seeing a weight loss- unless you are very small frame- why not get a calorie calculator from websites- how much calories do you need according to calculators?
Weight loss could come in waves- loss- plateau- loss...
I have read the same study on a HFCS- your soda is full of it.
Check the ingredients in slimfast( you know that it is a marketing name? Right?)
Eat white chicken and green beans instead..better for you
Why do you prefer to keep soda binges? Tea, coffee, lemon water, decaf tea, water- cucumber, lemon, blueberry- much better
Are you sure you don’t inhale cookies?

Last edited by Nik4me; 05-30-2019 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,500,220 times
Watch a couple episodes of the British show Secret Eaters. It's on Youtube. Seriously, it will change your entire outlook on how you are really eating.

If you were really eating 1100-1400 calories a day, you would be losing weight. There are no medical marvels, you can't beat physics. You COULD theoretically have a slow metabolism, where you have to eat like 50 calories less a day than some other random person at your height and weight, because things like age, muscle mass, and hormones do play a role. But at 1200 calories (the recommended minimum for women, men is 1500), you would be losing weight regardless of other issues, unless you are both very short and already at the low end of the weight scale. The thinner you start, the slower you would lose, but you would be losing something. Therefore, you are eating more than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss