Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 06:01 AM

48,630 posts, read 35,099,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Sweating has absolutely no direct impact on fat loss
There may be a short-term loss, but it's in the form of water weight, not fat. Heat increases your body temperature, which makes you sweat, but it won't increase the number of calories you burn
While I agree that the food you eat impacts more, are you saying someone who hikes 8 miles, or goes to the 8 hours a week doing lots of cardio and weights will not lose more weight than a couch potato?

Then I would disagree.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 10:59 PM

289 posts, read 250,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
While I agree that the food you eat impacts more, are you saying someone who hikes 8 miles, or goes to the 8 hours a week doing lots of cardio and weights will not lose more weight than a couch potato?

Then I would disagree.
No of course not, but some people are under the misunderstanding that if your sweating your burning more calories, when in effect its just your body calling itself down.

The more active you are throughout the day the more calories you will burn, the most significant part or your total calories burned will usually come from NEAT
(NEAT), which is basically any movement that isn't intended as exercise. You can burn an extra 100-150 calories an hour by increasing NEAT.

There are plenty of overweight people that go to the gym five plus hours a week, if you go to the gym and then sit on your butt for the rest of the day you probably still wont get the results that you want.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 553 times
Eat small portions 3-4 times a day + count calories. And try to eat less fast carbohydrates

Old 08-09-2019, 10:06 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,439,804 times
Soda contains a lot of sodium and can make someone bloated. I never drink sodas the night before I weigh in at Weight Watchers.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:44 AM

1,763 posts, read 1,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switz View Post
It's falling off now. Almost a pound a day. Now down 4 pounds since Monday.
Good deal! Guess it took some time to catch up with ya. That's a good lesson for the rest of us though. Don't give up. If you're doing everything right, sooner or later it will come off.

Good for you, starting a year ahead of time. Slow but steady will give you the tools to learn how to keep it off.

When you're ready to give up the soda I recommend flavored seltzer. Once you get used to the idea that it's not gonna be a sweet hit to your tastebuds, it's quite enjoyable. No sodium, no calories, no artificial sweeteners.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:32 PM

13,484 posts, read 7,471,944 times
Quote:
I get there are 50 better ways to go about this that would give better results. And unless things change then that's the route I'll head.

Bit main question still applies. How is it biologically feasible to not lose weight when calorie count is reduced to 1100-1400 per day. I can't be the only one who's tried this method. As others have said, maybe it's water weight or maybe metabolism or both even. But it feels like eventually the weight should start coming off.
How much activity do you get when your awake are you on your feet most of the day or sitting behind a desk working on a computer? If you sitting most of the day you will need to do 30 minutes of walking a day that will jump start your diet. The body works like a storage device when you sit it sends food to storage when you exercise it sends food to muscle to be burned. If I go to the gym I walk on treadmill 30 minutes at 3 MPH 6% grade every day the weight comes off. If I don't go I start going the other way what I find is the more I don't exercise the more cravings I get for high carb/sugar foods. If you want to drop weight without exercising have to drop more carbs.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:44 PM

289 posts, read 250,132 times
If you are losing a pound a day you will be losing lean body mass not a great idea.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 PM

11 posts, read 6,363 times
losing weight takes time. the big kicker is maintaining a calorie deficit while still eating whole, nutritious foods. but in doing so, you cannot expect the weight to come off in a week. CONSISTENCY IS KEY. make sure what you are putting into your mouth is rich in nutrients like broccoli, chicken, brown rice, asparagus, etc. things that are considered volume food. you can still eat plenty of food without starving yourself as long as it is whole not processed.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 PM

4,588 posts, read 5,468,064 times
Quote:
Hi all, dieting for wedding. Figured I'd hit it hard quick to "get it out of the way". But now almost 2 weeks in and not even a pound lost.

My "diet":

- Breakfast - Slim fast drink
- Lunch - Nothing
- Supper - Whatever fiance cooks. Full plate of food, but not cramming.
- Before bed - Another Slim Fast drink

* 2 cups (measurent) of soda
* 2 litters of water

- I am not doing any excercise. I realize that will help, but figured the meagre food hitting my belly would be enough to lose at least 2-3 pounds already. Anyone else have a similiar diet and can offer input/expectations if I keep going as is?
The BOLD parts are the problem areas you need to fix ASAP. What is your current starting weight? What is your goal weight? When is the wedding?

Answering these questions would make it a bit easier to provide you with useful info that would work for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss