Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Same with the pharmaceutical companies. They pretend to care about the public, but their real efforts center around generating as much revenue as possible, the absolute maximum.
I wasn't going to mention pharma but since you did, lol, oh well.

It's not in the pharma's industry's best interest to "cure" anybody. They treat symptoms and in reality want to keep doing it as long as possible, otherwise, they would be out of business.

Another reason they are against all natural remedies and discredit them every chance they get. Their usual MO is "not enough evidence". A favorite of the medical industry when talking about anything other than pharma drugs. It's also rather ironic that many pharmaceutical drugs are based on natural plants and compounds. It's off topic, I know, so I will move on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I wasn't going to mention pharma but since you did, lol, oh well.

It's not in the pharma's industry's best interest to "cure" anybody. They treat symptoms and in reality want to keep doing it as long as possible, otherwise, they would be out of business.

Another reason they are against all natural remedies and discredit them every chance they get. Their usual MO is "not enough evidence". A favorite of the medical industry when talking about anything other than pharma drugs. It's also rather ironic that many pharmaceutical drugs are based on natural plants and compounds. It's off topic, I know, so I will move on.
Yes, we would all be better off if we viewed ad campaigns with a critical eye. If you study Marketing from the professional perspective, the greater good of the general public is not the real objective, but rather, the pretense of that. On!y when people demand better foods, do the companies respond out of self-interest.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:40 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,374,503 times
I think this is more of an issue for those who aren't fat-adapted. So jumping in with 18:6 or 20:4 and such would probably come with "hunger pains" (the hormone ghrelin letting you know it's your usual time, based on your past routines, to eat). I don't really get hunger pains, or if I do they last maybe a few minutes during day two and nothing on day three, four, and five. I feel fantastic throughout extended fasts. No headaches, brain fog or fatigue. I also take electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, and Himalayan sea salt).

Old 07-15-2019, 04:26 PM

289 posts, read 248,695 times
May be the truth for rats and mice but doubt there are many on these forums.
From the first linked study.

Numerous physiological indicators of health are improved in laboratory rats and mice maintained on IF diets including alternate day fasting and time-restricted feeding.

You can eat any time you wish the only thing that will help you lose fat is a calorie deficit.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 PM

249 posts, read 196,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I get migraines if I fast for too long, so yes. It is actual pain.
THIS! I've found I can take glucose tablets to avoid migraines due to low blood sugar, but I have to take one as soon as I feel it coming on or have an aura. I do not do IF, but I'm keto, so my blood sugar falls too low every few days.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
THIS! I've found I can take glucose tablets to avoid migraines due to low blood sugar, but I have to take one as soon as I feel it coming on or have an aura. I do not do IF, but I'm keto, so my blood sugar falls too low every few days.
Many people equate a "faint" feeling or similar to low blood sugar, that is not necessarily the case.

Just curious and not that I don't believe you, did you actually test your blood sugar with a glucometer?

Old 07-17-2019, 11:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Many people equate a "faint" feeling or similar to low blood sugar, that is not necessarily the case.

Just curious and not that I don't believe you, did you actually test your blood sugar with a glucometer?
A migraine is not a faint feeling. It is typically stabbing pain behind the eye or for some a visual disturbance. Fasting is a well known trigger of headaches for people with headache disorders. They are usually instructed to eat regular meals instead of doing fasting.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A migraine is not a faint feeling. It is typically stabbing pain behind the eye or for some a visual disturbance. Fasting is a well known trigger of headaches for people with headache disorders. They are usually instructed to eat regular meals instead of doing fasting.
I know what a migraine is. She mentioned low blood sugar. These are symptoms of low blood sugar, there are a lot of them and headache is listed but not migraine. This is from a diabetic website. Unless you are diabetic or suffer from hypoglycemia, low blood sugar is not that common. The body has ways of protecting itself which I will not get into. I am a diabetic and have experienced it. I felt light-headed and confused. It is a dangerous condition which can be fatal. You cannot be sure unless you use a meter, bottom line. I know from experience.

Feeling shaky
Being nervous or anxious
Sweating, chills and clamminess
Irritability or impatience
Confusion
Fast heartbeat
Feeling lightheaded or dizzy
Hunger
Nausea
Color draining from the skin (pallor)
Feeling Sleepy
Feeling weak or having no energy
Blurred/impaired vision
Tingling or numbness in the lips, tongue, or cheeks
Headaches
Coordination problems, clumsiness
Nightmares or crying out during sleep
Seizures

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-...low-blood.html

Old 07-17-2019, 03:43 PM

249 posts, read 196,354 times
Quote:

I'm hypoglycemic according to my neurologist, so I know the feeling; I get my blood work done monthly because I have occipital lobe seizures (epilepsy) and control it through ketogenic diet, which doesn't help my blood sugar, though it definitely works to control seizures when meds won't.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:18 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
I'm hypoglycemic according to my neurologist, so I know the feeling; I get my blood work done monthly because I have occipital lobe seizures (epilepsy) and control it through ketogenic diet, which doesn't help my blood sugar, though it definitely works to control seizures when meds won't.
Wonder if CBD oil would help you. See:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/suppl...oint-pain.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss