Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:14 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

He is 6'1", 250 lbs., and has a sedentary job. The only exercise he gets is walking out senior dog -- which means he hardly gets any exercise at all.

When I met him when he was 27, he was very fit and weighed about 185 lbs. He's large boned -- yes, really -- and his doctor didn't even suggest that he should lose some weight until he went over 230. The weight came on with age, no exercise, and the fact that he loves to both cook and eat. We have both gone on many kinds of diets (Keto, Paleo, and most often, reduced calorie) before, and he lost 10 pounds or so, but the weight always came back. Btw, we eat a well-balanced and mostly healthy diet (very little sugar, almost no processed foods and no sodas, chips or frozen entrees at all except maybe three or four times in an entire summer, and we have only one or two desserts per week).

He wants to lose about 30 pounds, and so I am going to start limiting his portions (with his agreement), and he says that he will start going to the gym and/or start swimming at our local community pool -- but at his age and weight, I am afraid of him overdoing it and having some kind of stroke or attack. (He is on both blood pressure and cholesterol meds.)

Any advice appreciated, and thanks in advance!

P.S. He must get up at 5:15 a.m. for his job, so he/we can't exercise before work, and when he gets home at about 5:00 p.m., it is too hot for us to do any kind of outside exercise. (The weather here doesn't usually cool off on a reliable basis until mid-October.)

Last edited by katharsis; 07-23-2019 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 01:51 PM

249 posts, read 196,211 times
What about a treadmill? I have one that we use daily because I live in the deep south now, and it's tough to do anything out there from June-Oct, but I can get that outdoor walking feel with a channel on YouTube called Treadmill TV, which has great city, trail, and country walks. I just set the iPad or notepad on the display and put on headphones and watch. I found another walking channel recently on YouTube called ProWalks, and I really love these types of videos for the treadmill. My SO likes watching the news or TV shows when he walks.

Your husband could increase the incline and speed as he improves.

The good ones are more expensive, and I've found this is the one purchase I will spend a couple thousand on because they will last 10+ years. It's also one item I will buy an extended warranty with; I've had repair people out several times over the years at no cost.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:50 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
He is 6'1", 250 lbs., and has a sedentary job. The only exercise he gets is walking out senior dog -- which means he hardly gets any exercise at all.

When I met him when he was 27, he was very fit and weighed about 185 lbs. He's large boned -- yes, really -- and his doctor didn't even suggest that he should lose some weight until he went over 230. The weight came on with age, no exercise, and the fact that he loves to both cook and eat. We have both gone on many kinds of diets (Keto, Paleo, and most often, reduced calorie) before, and he lost 10 pounds or so, but the weight always came back. Btw, we eat a well-balanced and mostly healthy diet (very little sugar, almost no processed foods and no sodas, chips or frozen entrees at all except maybe three or four times in an entire summer, and we have only one or two desserts per week).

He wants to lose about 30 pounds, and so I am going to start limiting his portions (with his agreement), and he says that he will start going to the gym and/or start swimming at our local community pool -- but at his age and weight, I am afraid of him overdoing it and having some kind of stroke or attack. (He is on both blood pressure and cholesterol meds.)

Any advice appreciated, and thanks in advance!

P.S. He must get up at 5:15 a.m. for his job, so he/we can't exercise before work, and when he gets home at about 5:00 p.m., it is too hot for us to do any kind of outside exercise. (The weather here doesn't usually cool off on a reliable basis until mid-October.)
I tried a variety of diets without any long term success until I read The Plant Paradox and followed the advice on eating. I lost all of the fat that I had (47 lbs.) and all of my terrible blood numbers reversed into great numbers in the process....it has worked magic for me for almost 2 years now and I'm currently near your husband's age with under 10% bodyfat and over 45% muscle mass.

Also, I started the diet when I wasn't working out and lost most of the weight while not doing any exercise but after I lost more and more weight and started feeling better, I upped my exercise and I continue to do that.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:39 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Want some hope?

I'm a 60 year old Type 2 diabetic, 5'9" and weighed 247 lbs, on insulin, cholesterol and BP drugs.
I have a desk job (engineering) and get up at 5am to go to work.
I got down to 231 lbs by going on a low carb diet and doing group exercise at the Y. That's where I go stuck.

Today I weigh 170 lbs. I got there by adding OMAD IF with occasional longer fasts thrown in.
I lost 60 lbs by lowering my blood sugars & insulin usage and fasting. All of this created a persistant caloric deficit.

It took almost a year, so he'll have to stick to it.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:48 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
My husband told the Dr. "But I only eat healthy food".

She responded "Well healthy food makes you fat if you eat too much of it."

He stopped taking second helpings and stuffing on bread & potatoes.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times
I just turned 69 and though vegan, was around 40 lbs. overweight a year ago. I'm 6'3" so didn't look too awful but wanted the health benefits of being slender. Like my friend Eaton, I did IF OMAD starting last August and lost the weight--despite intense personal and professional stress. Wasn't perfect but in general, no sugar, very occasional glass of wine, and light on the bread and pasta.

I'm always going to recommend plant-based, though a lot of people aren't ready. Even going in that direction can result in weight loss, with lots of side benefits.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
My friend KZ has been very diligent... and she has a lot going on in her life.
Just goes to show that if you want to do it you can, whatever the circumstances.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Cut the carbs and sugars BIG TIME...this works...and adopt that lifestyle of eating.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:31 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
THANKS TO ALL!! Much appreciated!

P.S. I had to look up "OMAD". It stands for One Meal A Day.

https://www.health.com/weight-loss/omad-diet

Old 07-23-2019, 11:28 PM

289 posts, read 248,588 times
He will struggle if he doesn't do some form of exercise if it's too hot outdoors what about a gym membership or swimming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss