Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 11:18 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
My favorite for some time now are "Greek" salads and I also fill up a very large bowl.

A large quantity of greens as you describe and I do often buy them at Sam's. I add cucumber, red/yellow/orange bell pepper, cherry or grape tomatoes, pepperocini and black olives. I then top with feta cheese and my own homemade vinaigrette.

The broccoli and cauliflower I prefer cooked and soft, also topped with feta cheese.
Sometimes I cut up a pack of the Aldi's equivalent of Buddig lunch meat and toss it in. I have 'em all... whatever one I feel like that day.
There are so many possible variations of this that I never get tired of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 01:46 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
6.4 pounds after 10 days. My wife is in Brazil visiting her family. Boy, is she in for a surprise when she gets back. I know I can't keep up the pace of loss already experienced but, I'm within 6.8 pounds of my goal of 200 lbs. I'll reassess my situation if and when I get to 200 to see if I'm up for going lower. If it continues to be as easy as the last 10 days, why not?

Tomorrow's bike ride will be interesting. All of the groups I normally ride with are doing rides that don't interest me. I did find an 0600 start, for 50 miles, that, for the most part, will be over at 24 miles when the ride peaks. I say "over" because the hard work will be done! The return will be trending sharply downwards for 4-5 miles and then simply sloping negatively for the last 20 miles. I'll fly back to the start and I'm hoping to have a great ride without the additional weight esp for the first half of it. lol

Old 10-18-2019, 02:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Had 1/2 package of bacon and salad yesterday and gained about 1/2 pound after meal. Woke up, I dropped 1.5 lbs over night. So weight fluctuates due to water but my energy level today is great and haven't eaten anything since 9pm last night and I don't feel hungry.

Took the keto urine test and shows very good ketones detected.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times
It’s been twelve weeks on 18:6 IF for us, along with an increase in exercise (>10,000 steps a day). I’ve lost 18 pounds and DH 15 pounds and we both have more energy. We aren’t vegetarians or doing keto and haven’t eliminated any foods, just less of them. We do eat healthier and we stay satisfied for longer than when we have processed foods. While we keep to a schedule of eating from 11 to 7, we aren’t slaves to it and start later or earlier if our schedules need it.

It’s working well for us; we’ve both had recent physicals with our doctor and she is impressed with our weight loss, changes in our cholesterol levels and my blood pressure numbers. She has friends doing IF and never eats breakfast herself, so she’s has no objections to IF for us. She’s dropped my BP med to 2.5 mg and it’s likely I will not need it as I continue with IF and being more active.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-19-2019 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-19-2019, 11:44 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Today was a fasting day.

I also did my typical 19.5 mile bicycle ride during my lunch break. I wasn’t sure how I’d do with cycling on the same day. Typically, my goal is to manage 20 mph during this ride but I backed off a little due to the fasting. I ended up with 19.68 miles at 19.1 mph burning just over 500 calories. That’s not a bad average for someone riding solo in his early 60’s. Lol
That's damn good, to average that kind of speed is certainly something many people half your age cannot do. I have a couple Cervelo's myself, one is an aluminum alloy frame and the S3 is a carbon fiber frame. I have barely rode this summer for the first time in the past 8 years. I could never average 20 mph over any distance.

I'm looking forward to IF starting for me on Monday, my plan is alternate days, for the induction phase, I'll be drinking nothing but protein shakes 3X a day, for a total of around 600 calories, and the induction phase lasts two weeks. Then I can raise my up day intake to around 1200 calories, and eat normally on my down days.

I've been reading about how your cells repair themselves during a fast, so for at least one day a week I would like to not eat anything for 24 hours.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
6.4 pounds after 10 days. My wife is in Brazil visiting her family. Boy, is she in for a surprise when she gets back. I know I can't keep up the pace of loss already experienced but, I'm within 6.8 pounds of my goal of 200 lbs. I'll reassess my situation if and when I get to 200 to see if I'm up for going lower. If it continues to be as easy as the last 10 days, why not?
Well, I hit 200 lbs yesterday and 199.6 today. I haven’t seen my weight beginning with a leading “1” since the late 80’s. I am pretty darn proud of my efforts....so is MrsK7.

I did make a small change though. I switched to the 16:8 diet after the losses pretty much stopped on the previous iteration. I’ve seen this in the past. Great, fast initial losses and then it slows or stops. The 16:8 suits me better and while the per day losses are small, I am losing weight, the process is easy, I’m not hungry all the time, my energy is high and ....it’s working!

The new goal is now 190. I’ll be back with an update at 195. The holidays will slow me down a bit. I’m traveling in mid-Dec and know of at least two dinners which will be unavoidable.

I’m also visiting an aunt and she’s agreed that we won’t have any dinners at her house. In fact, she reminded me of an old saying: “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper”. Her smallest meal is dinner anyway so not feeding me won’t hurt her feelings! Lol

Old 11-26-2019, 09:10 PM

I pulled out an old fatigue shirt I wore when I got out of the service almost 40 years ago. I was shocked - this one was fitted and while it was a little snug, it wasn’t too tight. I can wear it!

I also went to the store today to get new jeans. I’m down to a 36” waist. I haven’t worn pants that size since the 80’s. The 40s will be donated and the 38s aren’t too far behind.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
The Arnold ehret fast is the most effective but most drastic can mess with your health and nervous system
I prefer the Kaiser 24 hour fast a loss of 1-4 lbs a week

Old 11-27-2019, 07:37 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
I pulled out an old fatigue shirt I wore when I got out of the service almost 40 years ago. I was shocked - this one was fitted and while it was a little snug, it wasn’t too tight. I can wear it!

I also went to the store today to get new jeans. I’m down to a 36” waist. I haven’t worn pants that size since the 80’s. The 40s will be donated and the 38s aren’t too far behind.
I'm in the same boat. I am down to 36" as well, I haven't worn 36 inch pants since high school, also almost 40 years ago. Most of of my clothes are baggy, even XL shirts are a bit loose.

I will have to put up with it for a while, it's not cheap to replace an entire wardrobe. I will do it a little at a time.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'm in the same boat. I am down to 36" as well, I haven't worn 36 inch pants since high school, also almost 40 years ago. Most of of my clothes are baggy, even XL shirts are a bit loose.

I will have to put up with it for a while, it's not cheap to replace an entire wardrobe. I will do it a little at a time.
Great job. I only purchased two pair of jeans yesterday. Holy smokes....jean cost more than they used to. Lol my wife told me that I should have purchased another pair. I’ll do that after the holidays using a $30 coupon the store gave me. That’ll helps a little.

Shirts? Yep....XL to large also. My wife purchased a very, very nice polo shirt for me for an early, and likely only, Christmas gift. I was surprised that it fit so well. Even the sleeves are long enough. She told me to buy another but I’ll wait until our credit card resets. Got to stick to the monthly budget!

My buddy is down to 177 from 230. I’m not sure I want to go that low. At my height, I can carry even my current weight, 196.2, this morning with ease.

I’ll reassess when I hit 190 but I’m thinking 185 or maybe 180 at the most. Then, get back to the gym and firm up with weights and maybe add a yoga class, the easy kind, for fun.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I’ll do my best not to overdo it but my wife is cooking a pecan pie using my grandmother’s recipe so it’ll be a challenge. Ok, maybe a small piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss