Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halli3699 View Post
heard a lot of back and forth on not using real sugar because it's awful for you but artificial sweetener is just as bad. what is the better option?
Refined sugar basically has no nutrients, just calories, no nutrients.

Cane sugar, honey, molasses and other natural sweeteners may have some fiber.

My understanding is that artificial sweeteners play havoc with your intestinal flora, which, I may add, is no joke and affects how you feel right now if you are sensitive too it. Long-term, some say it may contribute to development of cancer.

I would say the better option is natural sweeteners (not refined) in moderation. Repeat, in moderation, as some posters have already mentioned. Even better is to eliminate them altogether because you will ingest enough sugars naturally occurring in many healthy foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 08:19 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
IMO sucralose is a useful artificial sweetener because the amounts needed are tiny.

A relatively new, natural (extracted from the Bocha squash) non-glycemic sweetener is a product called Bochasweet. It looks and tastes like sugar, has about 3/4 the sweetness of sucrose. The only real drawback is the cost.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:04 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Your body treats honey just like sugar.
I think honey is better than sugar but I only eat 1 tbl per day.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Let's face it, people like sweet. It's one of the five basic tastes for pete's sake. Instead of beating yourself up, how about just learn how to enjoy sweet things in moderation? Artificial sweeteners and sugar alike. Don't go overboard and I'm sure you'll be all right.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:19 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think honey is better than sugar but I only eat 1 tbl per day.
Honey may have some nutrients where sugar doesn't. But your body processes both the exact same way. I prefer honey to sugar.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:22 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halli3699 View Post
heard a lot of back and forth on not using real sugar because it's awful for you but artificial sweetener is just as bad. what is the better option?
****e.

Avoid.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:19 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Come on. Food is food. Get a grip, people..

Old 09-06-2019, 07:28 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,771 times
I learned several years ago to like food unsweetened. The sweetest thing I eat as a regular part of my diet is fresh fruit. No artificial sweeteners at all. I do use 2 tsp of sugar in my cole slaw dressing which is bitter without any, but much healthier than the 1/2 cup the recipe calls for.

I used to chug artificial sweeteners. Lots of diet soda, packets in my hot tea and cold cereal, making hot chocolate with cocoa powder and AS, etc.

I still have something sweet (with real cane sugar only) about once a week as a dessert with my treat meal.

I've found it much easier to control my weight since I cut out the artificial sweeteners. Coincidence? I doubt it very much. I do believe there's something to the research that says there's something about them that makes many of us lose the ability to feel the signal our body gives us when we're full. I personally find it much easier now to stop eating when I've had enough.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:06 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Unless I'm mistaken, organic stevia is the safest, non-calorie sweetener. Both real sugar and artificial sugars are associated with health issues.

Apparently, businesses have fought over the introduction of stevia into the US, though the product is common in Europe. Truvia is readily available now, but only after a long fight. And it may be less healthy than the organic variety.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:17 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
For those of us who have to watch our sugar load, I have found there is nothing better than xylitol granules. It looks and tastes nearly exactly like sugar (though it will not carmelize when cooked). It is good for dental issues and also acts as a prebiotic. Unlike the other "tols" it will not give one gastric issues unless consumed in excess of 40 grams per day. It also keeps the mouth moist if you have "dry mouth syndrome" I have been using it for years and will never be without it. The only drawback is cost, but a couple pounds lasts me a long time because I don't really cook with it, only rarely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss