Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 10:30 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times

Advertisements

People also die from this surgery. Very, very bad idea IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 05:20 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,142 times
Anything that disrupts the natural functioning of the gastric system isn't a great idea, IMO. I know people who have had various kinds of gastric surgery, and without exception, they have wound up with problems that I definitely don't want. Some have lost weight, but the misery that they have been through makes me doubt that it is worth it.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:40 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,959 times
At 260 lbs, I don't think it made sense for him to have the surgery. I thought it was more for people who are hundreds of pounds overweight... I would just hate how sick you would get every time you ate a little too much..

Old 09-28-2019, 05:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
At 260 lbs, I don't think it made sense for him to have the surgery. I thought it was more for people who are hundreds of pounds overweight... I would just hate how sick you would get every time you ate a little too much..
They can’t perform the surgery if you are too obese. It is too dangerous.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:40 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
When I had a TV, I used to watch "My 600 Pound Life." Surgery worked for some people and not for others. Some patients did so well on the pre-surgery weight loss (that was required by the doctor) that I wondered why they went through with the surgery.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:47 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagdalenaIF View Post
Been 3 months doing IF and i ve lost 15 pounds without pain.
I ve never been able to lose weight in my whole life, this is by far the best thing ive tried.
Do you do this 2 days per week, or every other day? Do you consume around 600 calories on those two days? How is your diet on the off days, when you can eat whatever you want? Do you count calories on those off days? I'm interested in the health benefits of IF, to say nothing of shedding unwanted pounds.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:56 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
My husband has lost sixty pounds since March doing Intermittent Fasting. No pain from any surgery, he eats what he likes, it actually saves us money, and he's still losing.

I can see why people go the gastric bypass surgery route, my Aunt had it done twice, and she gained all the weight back and then some. My sister-in-law also had a surgery where they put a cage around your stomach, she hasn't gained all the weight back, but her weight is creeping up again every time I see her. It's just so sad to see people spend so much money, and go through so much pain, and still it doesn't work long term.

I'm hoping that five years from now I can say that my hubby has kept the weight off, and that he's still loving the IF lifestyle.
What is your husbands regimen, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What is your husbands regimen, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.
To find out about IF:

• Search on YouTube: Intermittent Fasting, autophagy, Jason Fung
• Use those same search terms on City Data
• Search on Facebook: there are hundreds of support groups
• Google the search terms

There are numerous ways to do IF, and you can experiment and see which feels comfortable to you. I do OMAD (One Meal a Day), but I wouldn't start with that. Most people skip breakfast, have a light lunch and then dinner with their families.

I did all the searches I suggested, above, watched numerous videos and read everything I could find online. You don't have to buy anything, just study the problem with these free resources. I've been doing this since a year from last August and lost 40 lbs. I'm nearly 70 and female, so my weight loss was slower than a younger person's. I'm also vegan; the more plant based you can do, it's probably better for you. But it does work, it saves on grocery bills, and has lots of health benefits, not just weight loss.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:18 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
The three people I know who have had gastric sleeve have done very well. Two lost all their excess weight and have kept it off for 4 years. One of them is young and has had two pregnancies since with no problems. The other has lost weight but not all of it, but is happy with where her weight is and admits she doesn’t eat like she’s supposed to. Her weight has been stable for three years.

I have intermittent fasted since my early 20s, before it was “invented.” To me it just makes sense that to burn fat you have to have periods of not eating. I figured that out on my own.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:48 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Default Why people often go forward with surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
When I had a TV, I used to watch "My 600 Pound Life." Surgery worked for some people and not for others. Some patients did so well on the pre-surgery weight loss (that was required by the doctor) that I wondered why they went through with the surgery.
It is true that many of the people hoping for weight loss surgery must prove to the doctor they can lose weight on their own before approving them. The heavier a person is the more weight they can lose at the beginning. The main reason many people go ahead with surgery is they feel it is a cure-all. They lose weight during their recovery period but go back to their old ways and eat too much, often eating a lot of junk food and take out. Next thing you know they are gaining weight back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss