Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 07:51 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,155,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have never understood why those who lose weight on their pre op diet don’t just opt to continue on it, using the skills for eating they have learned.

The really morbidly obese people are just as sick as the hoards and drug addicts are. It’s a mental problem, not a physical one. They should have institutional care until they are fixed.
Hmm. They used to call that the "Fat Farmâ„¢." Not sure what the phrase de jour might be. If they taught proper diet and lifelong exercises at said- Fat Farmâ„¢, participants were money ahead. Doubt it happened quite that way for the unfortunates confined there...but you know how those "hoards and drug addicts" can be, right? Can't teach them a darn thing. Maybe we can Pray Away the (Ample Butt).

As a person fighting a chronic weight problem, I can say this from beyond the so-called WLS Loser's Bench©:
  • Why people overeat appears to be both mental and physical, and cannot be easily "cured" per se.
  • Food intake needs to be managed via mindfulness on a daily basis. Requires upending the previously unhealthy belief system.
  • Tools like WLS can help with significant weight loss, by forcing the matter. I've suffered few, if-any, mid term ill effects from this. 17 1/2 mon post VSG is not "long term" yet, I'll remark on that honestly as I can a few years from now.

People like me...the morbidly obese if not what you called "really morbidly obese" (I believe the clinics call them super obese(1)) do need to "Choose Again" each day. We do need to ask, each meal: why do I want more than satisfying portions of food? I work through that daily, didn't need the Fat Farmâ„¢. Or did I? Traveling to MX for major surgery was self-checking myself into said-Fat Farmâ„¢, perhaps.

Oh, but that didn't "fix" me. I fixed myself, the tool just helped. Should I head back? Hmm. Such piercing insight, was this line of inquiry...

(1) "Super morbidly obese is a term that was proposed by Mason in 1987 to describe patients with a weight equal to or greater than 225% of ideal bodyweight." Retrieved by yours truly from Google, 1/18/22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 07:49 AM

8,818 posts, read 21,290,844 times
Years and years ago , when I was in boarding school I had a friend whose mother was a very vain
movie star ( you'd know the name ). She was so embarrassed by her daughter's slight weight
problem that she sent her to this place in Geneva where you were basically put to sleep for
2 months and fed introvenously . WHen you woke up , you were 30 pounds less & summer
was over .

She struggled with a weight problem for all of her life & died of a heart problem when she
was in her fifties .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-20-2022, 06:54 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,687,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Hmm. They used to call that the "Fat Farmâ„¢." Not sure what the phrase de jour might be. If they taught proper diet and lifelong exercises at said- Fat Farmâ„¢, participants were money ahead. Doubt it happened quite that way for the unfortunates confined there...but you know how those "hoards and drug addicts" can be, right? Can't teach them a darn thing. Maybe we can Pray Away the (Ample Butt).

As a person fighting a chronic weight problem, I can say this from beyond the so-called WLS Loser's Bench©:
  • Why people overeat appears to be both mental and physical, and cannot be easily "cured" per se.
  • Food intake needs to be managed via mindfulness on a daily basis. Requires upending the previously unhealthy belief system.
  • Tools like WLS can help with significant weight loss, by forcing the matter. I've suffered few, if-any, mid term ill effects from this. 17 1/2 mon post VSG is not "long term" yet, I'll remark on that honestly as I can a few years from now.

People like me...the morbidly obese if not what you called "really morbidly obese" (I believe the clinics call them super obese(1)) do need to "Choose Again" each day. We do need to ask, each meal: why do I want more than satisfying portions of food? I work through that daily, didn't need the Fat Farmâ„¢. Or did I? Traveling to MX for major surgery was self-checking myself into said-Fat Farmâ„¢, perhaps.

Oh, but that didn't "fix" me. I fixed myself, the tool just helped. Should I head back? Hmm. Such piercing insight, was this line of inquiry...

(1) "Super morbidly obese is a term that was proposed by Mason in 1987 to describe patients with a weight equal to or greater than 225% of ideal bodyweight." Retrieved by yours truly from Google, 1/18/22
I think the issue with this mentality is that the diet is often super restrictive. People who restrict their diets for the longterm may end up with permanent limitations in their base metabolic rate. That is part of the reason why people on Biggest Loser have such trouble maintaining the weight loss. They were eating ultra low calorie diets over the course of a few months and their bodies have permanently adjusted to not getting enough food. I have met a few people with this ultra low base metabolic rate over the years, and I wonder if it was activities in youth that resulted in the permanently lowered rate.

It’s only now becoming common knowledge that this is really harmful, so the damage has already been done for many people. There are people who may use this sort of program for calorie counting for life- such as people with Prader-Willi syndrome who don’t have the ability to feel full. I have heard that having PWS is equivalent to feeling like you are on an 800 calorie diet for life. It sounds absolutely miserable.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:22 AM

3,277 posts, read 1,756,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
People also die from this surgery. Very, very bad idea IMO.
Overeating can cause distress.During a gastric bypass the size of the stomach is surgically reduced and a section of the lower intestine is relocated. My wife went through this about 22 years ago. Her weight loss was drastic, she lost about 50 lbs.

Changing one's eating habits is probably the single most important change one needs to make the bypass work. The MD involved gave instructions to eat very small amounts during meals and to cut food into very small pieces. Several times after having the procedure done, she would overeat and be in distress after eating. I was greatly concerned she would burst the surgically altered stomach. She finally got the message her body was sending and she changed how, when and how often she ate. Getting counseling helped her considerably.

Sometimes it isn't about how much food is consumed or what one eats or how often. Sometimes it simply comes down to genetics, and there's not much which can be done about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss