Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 11:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times

Advertisements

Co-worker has tried all types of diet and runs 5 miles a day but hasn't made any significant progress before the surgery. Had gastric bypass surgery a year ago and lost 70lbs since but hasn't lost anymore since then.

He weighed in at 260lbs before surgery and now he says he hovers between 190-200lbs. Lost most of the weight in the 1st 3-4 months but since then stayed around 200lbs. He blames his weakness on fast food. He did say that if he had to do this again, he probably wouldn't because of all the meds and pain he went through. He says perhaps if he really did hard keto for a few months it would had the same outcome without the pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 11:42 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,462 times
And your question is.....?

Old 09-21-2019, 05:42 PM

21 posts, read 22,926 times
Been 3 months doing IF and i ve lost 15 pounds without pain.
I ve never been able to lose weight in my whole life, this is by far the best thing ive tried.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:01 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,292 times
My husband has lost sixty pounds since March doing Intermittent Fasting. No pain from any surgery, he eats what he likes, it actually saves us money, and he's still losing.

I can see why people go the gastric bypass surgery route, my Aunt had it done twice, and she gained all the weight back and then some. My sister-in-law also had a surgery where they put a cage around your stomach, she hasn't gained all the weight back, but her weight is creeping up again every time I see her. It's just so sad to see people spend so much money, and go through so much pain, and still it doesn't work long term.

I'm hoping that five years from now I can say that my hubby has kept the weight off, and that he's still loving the IF lifestyle.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:40 AM

5,151 posts, read 3,080,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
He did say that if he had to do this again, he probably wouldn't because of all the meds and pain he went through. He says perhaps if he really did hard keto for a few months it would had the same outcome without the pain.
Duh-oh.

Of course the surgeons and hospital would have been deprived of their income stream, what a selfish thought on his part. /s

Old 09-22-2019, 11:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Duh-oh.

Of course the surgeons and hospital would have been deprived of their income stream, what a selfish thought on his part. /s
Typically most reputable bariatric surgeons will make people do a fairly thorough psych evaluation to ensure they understand the risks and side effects of going through bariatric surgery. They don’t just approve anyone who walks through the door. People who are too heavy are typically not approved. People who can’t cognitively understand that they will need to change their diet for life are also not approved. Many are still not a success, but I know others who have had good luck. I have a lot of friends who lost significant weight through diet and lifestyle modifications. One didn’t do anything fancy but just went to a gym and did weightwatchers and is now a fitness instructor in addition to her regular job.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
The 1st few months, he complain that everything he eats causes pain and bloating. He puked out a lot of food and exercise was also bad. He had no energy the meds made it difficult to eat anything. Then after 3 months he was getting better and could eat most foods but still felt eating anything heavy causes discomfort, he lost the most weight within 4-5 month then after 6 months he's back to normal and could eat most foods again. He lost a lot of weight but just felt that if he had to do this all over again he wouldn't. The surgery causes a lot of pain and discomfort for many months.

I understand his frustrations with weight gain but I often attribute that to lack of discipline and focus. He probably didn't need the surgery and could lose weight by sticking to a diet plan and having the discipline to follow it through. The body is very adept to adjusting metabolism due to diet changes.

He claims that he jogs 5 miles a day back then with the weight on. I've done just a 2 mi run a week and lost some good weight along with dieting.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:49 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
It is a very drastic surgery.....probably best left as a option for people who are going to croak
in the very near future if they do not change course.

People that are 100-pounds overweight are having GB, that seems kinda crazy to me.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:19 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Gaining the weight back is how these bypasses usually go because it's a quick fix that doesn't address that actual problem.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:16 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Co-worker has tried all types of diet and runs 5 miles a day but hasn't made any significant progress before the surgery. Had gastric bypass surgery a year ago and lost 70lbs since but hasn't lost anymore since then.

He weighed in at 260lbs before surgery and now he says he hovers between 190-200lbs. Lost most of the weight in the 1st 3-4 months but since then stayed around 200lbs. He blames his weakness on fast food. He did say that if he had to do this again, he probably wouldn't because of all the meds and pain he went through. He says perhaps if he really did hard keto for a few months it would had the same outcome without the pain.
Or just not eat the fast food. That's easy for me to do but some people have eating disorders they can't easily control. If after going through a year or so of therapy I still couldn't control an impulsive behavior to stop at every third McDonald's I saw to put chicken nuggets in my mouth, that's really the only time I'd ever consider bariatric surgery. If I really wanted to do a crash diet, which I don't, I'd just follow a bariatric diet and not have the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss