Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I can eat raw carrots, lettuces, onions, cabbage, bell peppers, cucumbers, radishes, and spinach. I also like cooked corn, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, green beans, squash, and potatoes (sweet/yams included). I don't like any other veggies, and usually only eat small amounts per day. I'd rather eat fruit or cereal, TBH. How can I learn to make eating lots of vegetables a part of my daily routine? I am trying to lose 15 lbs and having trouble, as I crave carbs like pasta, baked potatoes, and cold cereal. Sorry about the 'n', meant to add '?'. Thanks!
Carbs aren't evil. I make a homemade veggie bowl that contains complex carbohydrates and lots of vegetables and spices. The great thing about my veggie bowl is that it is healthy, packed with fiber, low calorie, cheap to make, and keeps me full for hours and hours. And you can customize it to include the vegetables and carbs (or meat,) that you prefer. I'm trying to cut back on my meat intake and lose about 15 pounds as well. Highly processed carbohydrates causes your blood sugar to spike suddenly, then drop, leading to the notorious "sugar crash" that makes people feel terrible. Complex carbohydrates are good for you because they keep you fuller longer, keep your blood sugar steady, and are high in fiber. I'm not a proponent of reducing food groups too much. Everything in moderation, as they say.
Attached Thumbnails
How to eat more healthy when I dislike most vegetables n-veggie-bowl.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 08:21 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Complex carbohydrates are good for you because they keep you fuller longer, keep your blood sugar steady, and are high in fiber. I'm not a proponent of reducing food groups too much. Everything in moderation, as they say.

Nope, and nope. I lived on natural complex carbohydrates for decades. I have diabetes with no family history of diabetes and no sugar addiction. Brown rice and baked Irish potatoes will ZOOM my blood sugar like nothing else. I could eat a candy bar and it wouldnt zoom that far or that fast. You are deluding yourself.

The really depressing thing is after diabetes, I found a fresh garden ripened tomato would zoom my blood sugar. That was just sad. Sugar, sure, expect that. But a ripe tomato picked from my garden, talk about unfair.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:24 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post

Meaning I overate. On low carb diet I eat much smaller amounts of food. My body doesnt want more. Simple as that. There are no doubt some that will be skinny no matter what or that have a more tuned STOP EATING signal but most are more like me I think or else we would not have a worldwide obesity problem.
Exactly. I understand that many people CAN eat complex whole carbs in moderation. But there are many of us who can't. We have an improper insulin response or insulin resistance or some other impaired body function that interferes with our "it's time to stop eating" switch.

And IMO, the reason obesity is spreading worldwide is due to the spread of fast food and highly processed convenience foods. I think an overabundance of sugar and highly processed carbs in the human diet is changing the way our bodies work, in a bad way.

When I first started losing weight, I couldn't even eat a few beans in chili or a couple potato chunks in a stew without getting that craving to eat past the point of fullness.

Now 20 years later I can occasionally eat the complex carbs, but if I eat just one serving for 2 or 3 days in a row, my off switch goes on the blink again.

It's not because carbs are so delicious that I want more, either. I like beans and corn and oats, but they're not something I love or crave. But they trigger a binge if I eat them too often.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:58 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Carbs aren't evil. I make a homemade veggie bowl that contains complex carbohydrates and lots of vegetables and spices. The great thing about my veggie bowl is that it is healthy, packed with fiber, low calorie, cheap to make, and keeps me full for hours and hours. And you can customize it to include the vegetables and carbs (or meat,) that you prefer. I'm trying to cut back on my meat intake and lose about 15 pounds as well. Highly processed carbohydrates causes your blood sugar to spike suddenly, then drop, leading to the notorious "sugar crash" that makes people feel terrible. Complex carbohydrates are good for you because they keep you fuller longer, keep your blood sugar steady, and are high in fiber. I'm not a proponent of reducing food groups too much. Everything in moderation, as they say.
Quote:
Nope, and nope. I lived on natural complex carbohydrates for decades. I have diabetes with no family history of diabetes and no sugar addiction. Brown rice and baked Irish potatoes will ZOOM my blood sugar like nothing else. I could eat a candy bar and it wouldnt zoom that far or that fast. You are deluding yourself.

The really depressing thing is after diabetes, I found a fresh garden ripened tomato would zoom my blood sugar. That was just sad. Sugar, sure, expect that. But a ripe tomato picked from my garden, talk about unfair.
I'm sorry you're diabetic but you're wrong about complex carbs. They are good for you. Multiple scientists and doctors agree with me. I have enclosed an article from Harvard that attests to what I am saying. Of course people with diabetes should control their carbohydrate intake. You can't process glucose adequately because of deficient/nonexistent insulin production in the Islets of Langerhans located in your pancreas. But you're not the average person. And some people develop diabetes with no family history.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-...or-bad-for-you

Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:

Maybe we should have a different thread just for diabetics.
Not all people that are overweight are diabetic, nor will they become diabetic. Whole grains are fine for most of the population without diabetes.
They are nutrient filled and have fiber. For a lot of people like myself they ARE satiating. I don't feel compelled to overeat them.
Also I think we need to differentiate between minimally processed whole grains and nutrient void refined carbs in baked goods.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
This is a good place to mention in the 'Bread -tortilla section' they now have 4-6 net carb
whole wheat or reg tortillas!!!! Or 'Flatbread'.
What a wonderful thing - I can make a folded sandwich now with all good things.
Changed my eating habits so much...warm them over a burner, yum.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry you're diabetic but you're wrong about complex carbs. They are good for you. Multiple scientists and doctors agree with me. I have enclosed an article from Harvard that attests to what I am saying. Of course people with diabetes should control their carbohydrate intake. You can't process glucose adequately because of deficient/nonexistent insulin production in the Islets of Langerhans located in your pancreas. But you're not the average person. And some people develop diabetes with no family history.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-...or-bad-for-you

I am type2, I make plenty of insulin but my body has become insulin resistant. Its type 1 diabetics that dont make enough insulin with pancreas problems. Meaning for type 2 normal amount insulin doesnt do it. I either need excess insulin or need to limit my carbs. Or there are bunch other expensive diabetic drugs for those on borderline that may or may not help, some discovered deadly AFTER being on market so withdrawn. But honest, limiting carbs is most straight forward approach. It was what was recommended in early 20th century before injectable insulin. Once insulin became available, doctors gave up trying to preach low carb diet which people even then cheated on, and just said give that boy some more insulin, let him eat cake.

Humans for most part when nomadic (non farming) didnt eat significant amount grain. This is majority of human history. Grain became important to feed a large population when humans started massing into larger concentrated populations. This before refrigeration and the like. Grain frankly is cheap and stores very well. Lot serfs and slaves in such societies too and needed to keep them alive as cheap as possible.

Whats scarey about type2 is that it used to only mostly seen in people in 50s and older. Now they are seeing it in teenagers. Junk food isnt that new for teenagers, so something has changed. No doubt perfect storm of several causes at once.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Whole grains are fine for most of the population without diabetes.
They are nutrient filled and have fiber. .

And a boatload of starch. The starchy part is to feed the little plant that the seed/grain originally intended to grow into. Until its big enough to provide its own food. If you really want to eat starchy grain, probably good idea to sprout it first which converts lot of that starch.

Honest I am guessing it would be healthier if nobody ate over say 150 grams of carbs per day. Most eat tenfold that or more. A low carb diet IMHO is under 100 grams per day and the keto people think 30 or 40 grams max, though I am not doing spreadsheet for it, that is too much like trying to count calories. For me cutting out grain (I eat some low carb seeds like flax and sunflower, they are an oily seed rather than starchy seed like grain).

My body is fine with low carb and more fat. Some other health bonuses like less inflammation and less achy joints. Look ma, my ankles dont swell anymore!

Mostly people are just used to high carb diet and it is definitely tasty, cheap, and super available.

Hey I kinda freaked out when diagnosed with diabetes, thinking what the heck am I supposed to eat. I couldnt really imagine a grain free diet. And doctor was useless gave me this supposedly healthy diabetic approved diet HIGH IN CARBS. Jeesh, talk about keeping patient dependent on drugs. Oh and some starchy grains better than others. When I was on insulin I got my blood sugar readings down substituting millet and buckwheat for more usual grains. But once I went off insulin those became like any other grain and zoomed me.

Just saying for a non-diabetic, imagine millet and buckwheat might be healthier choices.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Whats scarey about type2 is that it used to only mostly seen in people in 50s and older. Now they are seeing it in teenagers. Junk food isnt that new for teenagers, so something has changed. No doubt perfect storm of several causes at once.
Teens were also far more active years ago. Now teens and young people are like the middle aged people - overweight and obese and sedentary. We seem to gloss over this fact that the other contributor for t2 diabetes is a sedentary lifestyle. We sit on our butts for work and recreation. And again, we wonder why we have health problems, including diabetes? We also eat far more of our meals outside of our own kitchens. Eating at the family table doesn't exist for many people for whatever reason, probably because of the longer work weeks that both parents have to deal with.

Additionally kids are being encouraged to overeat. The kid size portions at restaurants are enormous and at home kids are prodded to finish what's on their plates and 'not waste food', even if the kid says he/she is full. My 13 year old size 2 daughter is constantly being told by well meaning family members that she should eat more. No she doesn't.

These bad habits of overeating and not exercising carry into adulthood.

If people eat in moderation and incorporate physical activity into their lives, they reduce their risk of most health issues. Of course it doesn't guarantee that they won't get anything, but it improves their chances.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Teens were also far more active years ago. Now teens and young people are like the middle aged people - overweight and obese and sedentary. We seem to gloss over this fact that the other contributor for t2 diabetes is a sedentary lifestyle. We sit on our butts for work and recreation. And again, we wonder why we have health problems, including diabetes? We also eat far more of our meals outside of our own kitchens. Eating at the family table doesn't exist for many people for whatever reason, probably because of the longer work weeks that both parents have to deal with.

Additionally kids are being encouraged to overeat. The kid size portions at restaurants are enormous and at home kids are prodded to finish what's on their plates and 'not waste food', even if the kid says he/she is full. My 13 year old size 2 daughter is constantly being told by well meaning family members that she should eat more. No she doesn't.

These bad habits of overeating and not exercising carry into adulthood.

If people eat in moderation and incorporate physical activity into their lives, they reduce their risk of most health issues. Of course it doesn't guarantee that they won't get anything, but it improves their chances.
T2 diabetes is worse in some other countries. Even though Japan has a lower rate of obesity, I think the rate of T12 is higher here (something like 12% there vs. 10ish% in the US) because so many people in Japan work in sedentary jobs with long hours and get very very little exercise. They also eat a diet very high in carbs with white rice with almost every meal. When I lived there, the bentos that were delivered were often very high calorie and had huge containers of rice.

The encouragement for skinny kids is nothing new. I was really skinny as a kid and people told me what they told your daughter. I think I was probably a 0 or 2 at age 13 as well. I was growing and was skinny since I was a baby. That is just genetics. My dad was skinny, my sister was also skinny, and my nephew is very tall and skinny for his age as well. My mom never pressured us to eat anything though because she did not want us to become obese or develop some other eating disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss