Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,583,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
All valid points. I agree 100%.

You can eat anything you want and suffer no ill effects if you exercise all day. Very few actually do that. If your job calls for that, I doubt any of those people would have the time or inclination to be sitting at a computer posting on CD.

One hour of exercise will render little to weight loss. It is certainly helpful for toning and general health and everyone should get exercise if it is within their ability. Weight loss is at least 80% to 85% diet, the rest exercise.

As far as consuming refined carbs, it you do not burn them, they get stored as glycogen. The body has a limited capacity of glycogen, about 2000 calories on average and it only get's depleted if you expend those calories. If you don't expend them and consume more carbs , guess what? they turn into fat. Where else would this "energy" go?

It is healthier to get the energy from fat, NOT sugar or refined carbs. Healthier for the brain and other organs. Some organs run only on glucose, the body has that covered. It will convert either fat or protein to glucose.
No one said that exercise in and of itself will cause weight loss. Exercise in combination with diet produces results, and as they say "proof is in the pudding". It helps achieve a caloric deficit, which is the reason why you lose weight. It's a given that you can't outrun your fork. At the same time, exercising affords me more wiggle room in terms of caloric intake than someone who is a couch potato. There's a reason why I steadily lost a pound a week while having a weekly "cheat day".

Somehow my glycogen stores got burned and I lost body fat. I'd like to hear the experts here explain how I lost 70 lbs, and my body fat decreased from over 30% to 22%. It's obvious that it wasn't just water.
When I decided to lose weight over two years ago, I kept it simple. I cut calories and exercised more. Downloaded a fitness app, joined a gym. Stuck to it and didn't waver. Results? Again "proof is in the pudding". Not everyone will find similar success. Just like some don't like counting calories, I don't like eating a fat heavy diet. It's very limiting and I'd actually start to hate eggs and meat after awhile. I prefer variety in my meals, and the ability to go to just about anywhere and enjoy myself. Fat helps with portion control because it's dense in calories, that's about it. It's no miracle substance that helps you lose weight. If keto works, great~ just stop the preaching already, as if there's no other way to eat a Reeses. Not everyone can stick to ANY diet for the long term, keto included. Despite the "transformations", it's a regimented way of eating that isn't for everyone. My coworker has already "cheated" several times on her keto-type diet - why? Because she found herself unable to sustain it when she was out of her "comfort zone" (i.e. traveling). IT's a real struggle for her, but I don't discourage her. On the contrary I encourage her, even if what she's doing isn't my cup of tea. because I want to see her succeed, just like I want to see anyone who has struggled with being overweight succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 11:00 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My coworker has already "cheated" several times on her keto-type diet - why? Because she found herself unable to sustain it when she was out of her "comfort zone" (i.e. traveling). IT's a real struggle for her, but I don't discourage her. On the contrary I encourage her, even if what she's doing isn't my cup of tea. because I want to see her succeed, just like I want to see anyone who has struggled with being overweight succeed.
Since the popularity of Atkins back in the 90's and watching it morph into low carb and paleo, I have yet to know anyone who has stuck with that way of eating. And I have known a lot, including myself.

There is no doubt that low carb eating, (and what falls under that umbrella) will allow someone to lose weight. And it will also lower numbers for those that have diabetes or are pre- diabetic. No one is arguing that. And for those that can keep it going as a way of eating for life more power to you.
Its these proclamations that low carb is the best way to lose weight and be healthy. That is patently untrue.

Also saying that carbs are the enemy when clearly they are not. It's the heavily processed foods that are the enemy. And those tend to be full of refined grain carbs.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:07 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,533,006 times
Quote:
No one said that exercise in and of itself will cause weight loss. Exercise in combination with diet produces results, and as they say "proof is in the pudding". It helps achieve a caloric deficit, which is the reason why you lose weight. It's a given that you can't outrun your fork. At the same time, exercising affords me more wiggle room in terms of caloric intake than someone who is a couch potato. There's a reason why I steadily lost a pound a week while having a weekly "cheat day".

Somehow my glycogen stores got burned and I lost body fat. I'd like to hear the experts here explain how I lost 70 lbs, and my body fat decreased from over 30% to 22%. It's obvious that it wasn't just water.
When I decided to lose weight over two years ago, I kept it simple. I cut calories and exercised more. Downloaded a fitness app, joined a gym. Stuck to it and didn't waver. Results? Again "proof is in the pudding". Not everyone will find similar success. Just like some don't like counting calories, I don't like eating a fat heavy diet. It's very limiting and I'd actually start to hate eggs and meat after awhile. I prefer variety in my meals, and the ability to go to just about anywhere and enjoy myself. Fat helps with portion control because it's dense in calories, that's about it. It's no miracle substance that helps you lose weight. If keto works, great~ just stop the preaching already, as if there's no other way to eat a Reeses. Not everyone can stick to ANY diet for the long term, keto included. Despite the "transformations", it's a regimented way of eating that isn't for everyone. My coworker has already "cheated" several times on her keto-type diet - why? Because she found herself unable to sustain it when she was out of her "comfort zone" (i.e. traveling). IT's a real struggle for her, but I don't discourage her. On the contrary I encourage her, even if what she's doing isn't my cup of tea. because I want to see her succeed, just like I want to see anyone who has struggled with being overweight succeed.
Stop preaching? Pot meet kettle.

What have you been doing for the last, I don't know, 8 years at least. YOU stop. I've lost 70 lbs blah blah blah. Same thing over and over. MOST will find success with low carb and your comments about meat and eggs are ignorant. That is not healthy keto and by no means the correct way to do it.

Science is science, facts are facts. If you want to live in a bubble it doesn't change the facts.

It IS about calories but it's not that simple. The type of calories matter just as much. Only ignorant people would say a calorie is calorie. It's NOT. Example: 100 calories of Donuts vs 100 calories of Broccoli. I guess to you they are the same?

The science not only backs up low carb diets but ALSO backs up the fact that CICO is prone to failure. I'm not saying that everyone would fail but MANY do. I can back THAT up all day long, I won't bother with you. Now let's see what your response is? Let me guess.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Stop preaching? Pot meet kettle.

What have you been doing for the last, I don't know, 8 years at least. YOU stop. I've lost 70 lbs blah blah blah. Same thing over and over. MOST will find success with low carb and your comments about meat and eggs are ignorant. That is not healthy keto and by no means the correct way to do it.

Science is science, facts are facts. If you want to live in a bubble it doesn't change the facts.

It IS about calories but it's not that simple. The type of calories matter just as much. Only ignorant people would say a calorie is calorie. It's NOT. Example: 100 calories of Donuts vs 100 calories of Broccoli. I guess to you they are the same?

The science not only backs up low carb diets but ALSO backs up the fact that CICO is prone to failure. I'm not saying that everyone would fail but MANY do. I can back THAT up all day long, I won't bother with you. Now let's see what your response is? Let me guess.
blah blah your memory apparently fails you, as I haven't been on this forum for 8 years and I've never heard of you elsewhere. And I'll keep on preaching as long as you keep up with your constant misinformation. Don't care for it? Too bad, no sweat off my back. I don't have to prove anything, and I'll keep on mentioning my success to people because it is very encouraging to see someone who used to be 70 lbs overweight and dealt with weight issues for a decade to bounce back with frankly, a damn good body that was built due to hard work. Unlike some here, I have nothing to hide behind a screen. I publicly post my photos to show that it can be done. There are keto fails just like there are any other diet fails. I gave you an anecdotal "on the field" example. Any diet is hard, despite the people saying how "easy" keto is. It's "easy" once you become locked in, but the same can be said for what I've done too. So?

so return from whence you came, until the next time you resurface in a keto/carb debate.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:48 AM

and LOL, probably this carb/keto thing is the only action this forum gets other than spammers anyway.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
so return from whence you came, until the next time you resurface in a keto/carb debate.
I guess I will resurface sooner rather than later, here I am and I never went away really. I just got tired of repeating myself. I see there are others on the same bandwagon as me, let them have it out with you if you insist. LOL

Old 11-18-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
and LOL, probably this carb/keto thing is the only action this forum gets other than spammers anyway.
Gee, I wonder why it's the only action?

Like I said, in a bubble.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:17 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,933,541 times
Quote:
Plus IF; quite a lot of that. And veganism.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:39 AM

2,134 posts, read 1,484,978 times
Lol. I thought about IF but kept quiet. Yes there are other forums and some individuals that get action as well. There is a poster that is really convicted about natural cures and I don't see what is offensive about it, hey - let them offer up their advice and opinion - but the folks responding can be negative. If someone wants to tell others more than once what has worked for them, I don't see anything wrong with it. There can be new readers that have not seen the topic before and can gain inspiration. I have gotten dissed down in the exercise and non romantic forums. But I usually bow out when that happens and head on over to some different topic to view and read.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,103,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I can eat raw carrots, lettuces, onions, cabbage, bell peppers, cucumbers, radishes, and spinach. I also like cooked corn, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, green beans, squash, and potatoes (sweet/yams included). I don't like any other veggies, and usually only eat small amounts per day. I'd rather eat fruit or cereal, TBH. How can I learn to make eating lots of vegetables a part of my daily routine? I am trying to lose 15 lbs and having trouble, as I crave carbs like pasta, baked potatoes, and cold cereal. Sorry about the 'n', meant to add '?'. Thanks!
Have you tried french style mesclun salads, or Italian caesar salads. Very tasty. You may like.

But you dont really need anymore veggies than what you mention as to your liking. You listed plenty right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss