Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 08:21 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,190,720 times

Advertisements

Doesn't it feel good? I do the intermittent fasting and have lost 20 lbs with that and limiting caloric intake to 1600 cal most days, and splurge to 2500 on the weekends to get that full feeling.

When I first started, I cut out all sugar, and did not allow myself to go over 2000 calories, but got bored with the diet and missed feeling full. In spite of adding sugar back and splurging on the weekends, I have managed to keep the weight off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 02:46 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,386,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
3 - 4 spoons of salt. You will need it on intermittent fasting as the body needs a lot of salt (electrolytes) in order to burn fat.
You lost me here. Would you please elaborate why ?

I am doing something very similar as you and have gone from 225 to 156lbs in a year. Unlike you I do allow myself carbs but I have cut my sugars back drastically for the reasons you mentioned. My TREATS have dwindled down to dried fruit instead of candy and eaten early on in the day. I fast from 4pm until the next morning. If I feel hungry two or three handfuls of air popped popcorn will settle my stomach.

FRUIT was my enemy. I was eating it all day.

SUGAR not FAT is the bad guy. I am training myself to shy away from sweet oriented foods.

I eat less calories with the fasting and I cut my sugar intake drastically. It is simple math but YES you need to understand why it works then it will be so obvious to you. At that point the choice to see it through is yours.

Would also like to add substituting some non meat sources of protein during the week. Pizza and a salad is one of my faves. 2 NY size slices and a greek salad....so much better than meat and potatoes . Even eggs for dinner is a great choice or even a hearty lentil soup with toasted bread and a salad. This is how I eat and lose weight.

Last edited by CNYC; 11-13-2019 at 02:54 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 08:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,497,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Doesn't it feel good? I do the intermittent fasting and have lost 20 lbs with that and limiting caloric intake to 1600 cal most days, and splurge to 2500 on the weekends to get that full feeling.

When I first started, I cut out all sugar, and did not allow myself to go over 2000 calories, but got bored with the diet and missed feeling full. In spite of adding sugar back and splurging on the weekends, I have managed to keep the weight off.
It feels great to see faster results. As long as you do intermitten fasting you're getting the benefits of ketosis. When you stop eating for a long period and your blood sugar drops. The body has to regulate blood sugar by burning fats and protein and convert to sugar. That's where you get weight loss.

Most folks think that you have to eat keto stuff but the truth is that fat loss only occurs during ketosis when the body taps bodyfat for energy instead of carbs.

You can cheat on the weekends by eating carbs and add in some sugar but I started to find sugary food repulsive due most American foods being overly sweet.

Last edited by vision33r; 11-13-2019 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
You lost me here. Would you please elaborate why ?

I am doing something very similar as you and have gone from 225 to 156lbs in a year. Unlike you I do allow myself carbs but I have cut my sugars back drastically for the reasons you mentioned. My TREATS have dwindled down to dried fruit instead of candy and eaten early on in the day. I fast from 4pm until the next morning. If I feel hungry two or three handfuls of air popped popcorn will settle my stomach.

FRUIT was my enemy. I was eating it all day.

SUGAR not FAT is the bad guy. I am training myself to shy away from sweet oriented foods.

I eat less calories with the fasting and I cut my sugar intake drastically. It is simple math but YES you need to understand why it works then it will be so obvious to you. At that point the choice to see it through is yours.

Would also like to add substituting some non meat sources of protein during the week. Pizza and a salad is one of my faves. 2 NY size slices and a greek salad....so much better than meat and potatoes . Even eggs for dinner is a great choice or even a hearty lentil soup with toasted bread and a salad. This is how I eat and lose weight.
During keto and intermitten fasting this process causes the body to use a lot of electrolytes to keep body vitals. A lot of folks on keto experience muscle fatique and being lethargic thinking they are depleted of carbs as the cause. When it is not true. It is the loss of electrolytes that you get from either drinking too much fluids or not getting enough electrolytes.

Note: Never drink more water than your body needs. You should only drink when you feel dehydrated. When you drink during intermitten fasting you will go to bathroom more and ending up flushing out a lot of minerals that your body needs. I only drink no more than 3-4 cups of water a day.

When you stop eating 3 meals a day, the body is used to get steady diet of nutrients such as salt but once you cut or space your meal out you will be starved of necessary nutrients. So by getting more salt and potassium you will be able to endure the 14-18 hr intermitten fasting. I'm eating a lot of salt and potassium with my meals. If I feel that my leg is cramping then I drink a small cup of water with 2 packs of salt.

If your body has a sodium deficiency you will start to see heart rate goes up as the heart needs sodium for blood pressure. This is the opposite of what most people think when they see heart rate goes up they think they have too much salt. You need 2300mg a day, that's a lot more than most people think they need. Its the equivalent of 1/2 of salt shaker.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,760,455 times
Quote:
Caloric intake still in consideration for any diet but it isn't the big thing is. Calorie counting doesn't work and it varies on the type of calories consumed. Most keto friendly meals are moderate in calorie count and high in fats. High calorie foods comes from either high carbs or proteins. Fats do not constitute much calories and it isn't stored directly. The whole point of ketosis is to exhaust insulin so the body can create ketones and start using reserve fats.

Anyone that thinks eating a ribeye a day is keto is not following the correct keto diet of eating the right fats to trigger ketosis. Eating a steak actually triggers insulin and delay ketosis.
Calorie counting works for lots of people. I am one of them. These blanket assumptions are why I criticize you.
And FYI - if you are losing weight it is because your body is burning more calories than you are consuming.

And exercise is the number one thing anyone can do for their bodies either for losing weight or just general health.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Calorie counting works for lots of people. I am one of them. These blanket assumptions are why I criticize you.
And FYI - if you are losing weight it is because your body is burning more calories than you are consuming.

And exercise is the number one thing anyone can do for their bodies either for losing weight or just general health.
I still disagree with your assumptions because exercise is the last thing to worry about for weight loss. Plenty of people hit the gym 3x a week and see no weight loss.

Morbidly obese people who can't even jog for more than 1 min lose weight simply through a diet plan.

A co-worker use to run 5mi a day and still couldn't shed the weight until he went on keto and lost 36lbs. He was the reason I got on keto.

2ndly, calorie intake is no longer the most important thing. It is the type of foods that is important. Because once again you ignored the new science behind insulin triggers. When you eat a big piece of steak say 1200 calories in a single meal. The consequence isn't a bad as drinking a starbucks frap with 1200 calories.

You may think this is complete nonsense but it isn't. That's because the body knows what to do with that steak, it will break it down and some will get stored as fats but it can use the amino acids for body regeneration. Sugar is sugar, it's bad because the body makes it's own sugar it doesn't need excess sugar. When you drink that frap, it goes directly to fat storage even if you are some world class athlete. The difference is that an athlete do not keep their fat reserves for long, they burn it up. In this case, exercise is important. But nobody is going to exercise everyday, it's time consuming.

There are many people who swore by a pure carnivore diet and it works because the body knows what to do with meat proteins. They swear eating a high calorie diet of meats keep their weight loss.

The bottom line is that you gain weight not through calories but the kind of foods that gets stored as fat. I can eat a 4000 calorie meal without carbs and net weight gain will be much less than including carbs simply because carbs will always be excess for people with more than 18% body fat.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:35 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,386,799 times
Quote:
I still disagree with your assumptions because exercise is the last thing to worry about for weight loss. Plenty of people hit the gym 3x a week and see no weight loss.
I agree. I was a gym rat for years but injuries keep me away from the gym. I was shocked to see how much weight I lost with just following proper nutrition/fasting. When I do walk or bicycle now it is icing on the cake. My stomach muscles start showing more. Ita what you eat NOT the exercise which does it, although you should walk and be active.

As far as SALT goes unlike you I have been eating FRIES, Chinese Food, Pizza Etc. hardly diet food but I get all the necessary FATS and SALTS from my food intake during designated meals. When I do fast I hardly feel I am lacking anything.....just taking a break from what I already ate. As long as you don't skimp my fast from 4pm until the next day is a BREEZE.

Interesting what you say about too much water. I like an herbal tea at night to help with my fast. It is more pleasurable to me and fits nicely into a TV watching routine.

I NEVER KNEW ABOUT KETO Diets. I just started eating less and watching sugars then people started filling me in on this KETO thing...hmm OK

Old 11-13-2019, 01:45 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,337,866 times
Quote:

Morbidly obese people who can't even jog for more than 1 min lose weight simply through a diet plan.

A co-worker use to run 5mi a day and still couldn't shed the weight until he went on keto and lost 36lbs. He was the reason I got on keto.

2ndly, calorie intake is no longer the most important thing. It is the type of foods that is important. Because once again you ignored the new science behind insulin triggers. When you eat a big piece of steak say 1200 calories in a single meal. The consequence isn't a bad as drinking a starbucks frap with 1200 calories.

You may think this is complete nonsense but it isn't. That's because the body knows what to do with that steak, it will break it down and some will get stored as fats but it can use the amino acids for body regeneration. Sugar is sugar, it's bad because the body makes it's own sugar it doesn't need excess sugar. When you drink that frap, it goes directly to fat storage even if you are some world class athlete. The difference is that an athlete do not keep their fat reserves for long, they burn it up. In this case, exercise is important. But nobody is going to exercise everyday, it's time consuming.

There are many people who swore by a pure carnivore diet and it works because the body knows what to do with meat proteins. They swear eating a high calorie diet of meats keep their weight loss.

The bottom line is that you gain weight not through calories but the kind of foods that gets stored as fat. I can eat a 4000 calorie meal without carbs and net weight gain will be much less than including carbs simply because carbs will always be excess for people with more than 18% body fat.
Many people "hit the gym" but do they truly work out? As in vigorously? You don't know how many people i see just strolling along on the treadmill at 4mph for over an hour. My workouts don't have me talking, that's for sure, and I lift heavy. Unless your coworker was overeating (which he very well could be), there's no way that he could be running 5 miles a day, every day, and see NO results. That wasn't the case with me, and I'm sure it wasn't the case for many others who "eat less, move more".

Thanks to working out, I can wear bikinis again and mostly not have to worry about saggy flesh due to weight loss. I'm firm and strong and others can get the same results.

I still ask this same question and don't get much of an answer. I lost over 70 lbs eating a diet that was (and still is) moderate carb. Meaning I eat sugar, grains, all of that. I also eat good amounts of protein and fat. My macro %ages would work out to 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat.

And obviously, I had lost a lot of body fat. Belly fat disappeared, my stomach became basically flat. Thigh and butt fat disappeared. My last fat scan had me at 22%, which is pretty good for a formerly obese middle aged woman. I don't need to be skinnier than that, as I'd look like Olive Oyl. Most importantly, prior to injury, I was pretty damn strong, benching 120lbs.

You'd think with all of these horrible things you're saying, I'd have remained fat. No, I didn't. Sure I didn't lose twenty pounds in a month. I lost one pound a week. But that was one pound of fat, not water or muscle mass.

additionally, a carnivore diet is fine for someone who lives in the tundra. As for me, no way. I like meat, but to eat that much of it with little variety? Hell no. Keto is not easy, just like watching calories isn't easy. Keto is very restrictive and people hopefully know that when they decide to embark on it. If you achieve a caloric deficit, ALL ROADS LEAD TO WEIGHT LOSS OVER TIME. There's no magical formula here folks. Keto is just one of many methods that can work. To each his own, just don't preach things as fact.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Many people "hit the gym" but do they truly work out? As in vigorously? You don't know how many people i see just strolling along on the treadmill at 4mph for over an hour. My workouts don't have me talking, that's for sure, and I lift heavy. Unless your coworker was overeating (which he very well could be), there's no way that he could be running 5 miles a day, every day, and see NO results. That wasn't the case with me, and I'm sure it wasn't the case for many others who "eat less, move more".

Thanks to working out, I can wear bikinis again and mostly not have to worry about saggy flesh due to weight loss. I'm firm and strong and others can get the same results.

I still ask this same question and don't get much of an answer. I lost over 70 lbs eating a diet that was (and still is) moderate carb. Meaning I eat sugar, grains, all of that. I also eat good amounts of protein and fat. My macro %ages would work out to 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat.

And obviously, I had lost a lot of body fat. Belly fat disappeared, my stomach became basically flat. Thigh and butt fat disappeared. My last fat scan had me at 22%, which is pretty good for a formerly obese middle aged woman. I don't need to be skinnier than that, as I'd look like Olive Oyl. Most importantly, prior to injury, I was pretty damn strong, benching 120lbs.

You'd think with all of these horrible things you're saying, I'd have remained fat. No, I didn't. Sure I didn't lose twenty pounds in a month. I lost one pound a week. But that was one pound of fat, not water or muscle mass.

additionally, a carnivore diet is fine for someone who lives in the tundra. As for me, no way. I like meat, but to eat that much of it with little variety? Hell no. Keto is not easy, just like watching calories isn't easy. Keto is very restrictive and people hopefully know that when they decide to embark on it. If you achieve a caloric deficit, ALL ROADS LEAD TO WEIGHT LOSS OVER TIME. There's no magical formula here folks. Keto is just one of many methods that can work. To each his own, just don't preach things as fact.
If you lose weight doing a low carb diet with exercise then your body chemistry is setup optimally that way. But again more importantly is what you're eating. Eating quality carbs and protein and less sugar is the key. The only reason people should hit the gym is to raise their physical capacity. Going to the gym for weight loss doesn't work without a proper diet plan which any fitness trainer will tell you.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I agree. I was a gym rat for years but injuries keep me away from the gym. I was shocked to see how much weight I lost with just following proper nutrition/fasting. When I do walk or bicycle now it is icing on the cake. My stomach muscles start showing more. Ita what you eat NOT the exercise which does it, although you should walk and be active.

As far as SALT goes unlike you I have been eating FRIES, Chinese Food, Pizza Etc. hardly diet food but I get all the necessary FATS and SALTS from my food intake during designated meals. When I do fast I hardly feel I am lacking anything.....just taking a break from what I already ate. As long as you don't skimp my fast from 4pm until the next day is a BREEZE.

Interesting what you say about too much water. I like an herbal tea at night to help with my fast. It is more pleasurable to me and fits nicely into a TV watching routine.

I NEVER KNEW ABOUT KETO Diets. I just started eating less and watching sugars then people started filling me in on this KETO thing...hmm OK
This means you are still young and your metabolism is able to handle the carbs. Intermitten fasting allows your body time to burn the carbs. As you get older when metabolism drops you won't be seeing weight loss simply from fasting short durations and still eat hamburgers and fries.

Anyone over 40 and overweight has to abstain from sugar and limit carbs to whole grains and no enriched wheat or white rice to more than 50g a day.

To lose weight without changing what you eat much, you can simply skip 1 meal a day and allow for long periods of fasting. Some people do dinner and breakfast, breakfast and lunch, or lunch and dinner. Then no eating outside of that. No snacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss