Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 11:24 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times

Advertisements

At 33, I went to the ER with a BG (Blood Glucose/Sugar) over 500 and I was 245 pounds. I guess my issues were all diet based. I literally used to drink 8-9 a day. I went cold turkey on soda, and only took 500 mg of metformin daily.

I seemed to drop to around 185-190 pounds within 2-3 months. My BG dropped to normal ranges instantly as well. They've taken me off Metformin and my BG still remains in normal ranges. I've continued to leave the sodas alone. So what's the problem? I've also continued to watch my diet and calorie intake, yet I blew back up to around 200 pounds, and now at 210. BG is still normal but I don't understand how I'm gaining weight.

I've read that 1 pound gained or loss = +3,5000 calories vs -3,500 calories burned

3,500 x 20 = 70,000.

There's no way I've consumed 70,000 more calories than I've burned to gain 20 pounds since I was 190.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 11:27 AM

68 posts, read 43,842 times
Can you give us a sample of what you eat in a typical day? Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks?

Old 11-12-2020, 11:47 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
From what you have said, I don't think poor eating habits are the problem. It sounds to me like you have a thyroid issue.
Did the hospital do a full blood spectrum on you? That would have caught the thyroid problem.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer48 View Post
Can you give us a sample of what you eat in a typical day? Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks?

It can vary, but on a typical day, I'm probably around 1500-1700 calories. I may have one of those low carbs microwave dinners for breakfast that's maybe 170-300 calories. For lunch, a home made chicken or turkey sandwich with once slice of cheese on wheat bread.

Dinner can vary too but it's usually always going to be around 1500-1700 calories.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
From what you have said, I don't think poor eating habits are the problem. It sounds to me like you have a thyroid issue.
Did the hospital do a full blood spectrum on you? That would have caught the thyroid problem.
I've actually had that done since then, as in a few months ago four to other problems i had (or thought In had, hypochondriac here)

The doctor said everything was fin, that was in the Norman (though HIGH normal) for hyperthyroidism, and that it was probably anxiety that "lots of people have"

Old 11-12-2020, 04:28 PM

16,359 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
It can vary, but on a typical day, I'm probably around 1500-1700 calories. I may have one of those low carbs microwave dinners for breakfast that's maybe 170-300 calories. For lunch, a home made chicken or turkey sandwich with once slice of cheese on wheat bread.

Dinner can vary too but it's usually always going to be around 1500-1700 calories.
That seems like not many calories at all for someone your size.

I have gained about 15 lbs during this pandemic. I've tried to figure out what it could be and I attribute it to less exercise and eating more unhealthy foods. Pretty simple! One thing i noticed is that I get very bloated if I eat foods high in sodium so watch out for that. Those microwave dinners have a lot of sodium.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:57 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
First thing to do is flee this forum and the "advice" or "counsel." Yes, there are smart cookies here, got it. However, with the variation in symptoms and big questions, the only "suggestion" I'd have is to speak to a nutritional doctor, aka an ND. One who isn't a quack. Anything truly "unexplained" is cause for concern. Call me skeptical there is a major mystery, but who knows?

I have a good ND locally. She tried to treat my weight problem and I must admit, if her plans were followed, it sure as hell results in improvements. I messed it up by falling back off the wagon, couple years ago: my journey is beyond scope of the thread and discussed elsewhere but does include some of the things mentioned by OP.

All that said...pure speculation...some of what OP describes generally sounds like "hyperinsulinemia" and/or "metabolic syndrome." Look them up elsewhere. Sodas never did me any favors, I weaned off them in 1994 and stuck to flavored carbonated water. Added back one diet soda/day some years later, and they didn't make me feel good in retrospect. Some of those chemicals may or may not have contributed to my problems as-well. That, and various sugars and carbs "seem" to cause weight gain in my case. Weight that fell off quickly when the habits were changed, which I thought of as direct correlation.

If you do none of the above, do consider a couple things: start using an app to count calories. They are easy and fast these days, fortunately. 16 years ago people used paper and pencil which seemed onerous to me. Also, a fitness gadget to assess movement: I have a fancy one just upgraded to not look like something Darth Vader or Fred the IT Nerd might wear. That gadget might also measure your exercise in addition to steps, HR, etc. Work some daily movement into the routine. Helps me lots, and I've seldom if-ever read about or heard about someone who did NOT benefit from minimal daily exercise.

After awhile, you'll have good I/O numbers which may provide insights. It's a multi-variate analysis and not easy to say the least to correlate weight gain and loss to calories, activity, food types, etc. as everyone seems to be different. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:03 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post

You say "probably" but you don't know. There are dozens of apps out there where you can track your daily food intake and see how many calories, how much protein, how much sodium, etc. you're taking in. You might think that you're consuming one portion of something, when it might be 2 or 3 servings. Like someone already said, microwave meals and processed lunch meats are huge in sodium, which will cause your body to retain fluids.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:20 AM

68 posts, read 43,842 times
Keep your carbs under 100 g a day and the weight will fall off.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer48 View Post
Keep your carbs under 100 g a day and the weight will fall off.
Not true at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss