Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 03:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

Dang it!
It's snowing so they cancelled my Attack class.
So I got down on the floor and did a whole bunch of push ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 05:54 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Dang it!
It's snowing so they cancelled my Attack class.
So I got down on the floor and did a whole bunch of push ups.

I have a treadmill in the basement. I hate the darn thing but it was too icy out to go to the gym. And then I mopped floors. That counts as an upper-body workout, right?

Old 01-17-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I have a treadmill in the basement. I hate the darn thing but it was too icy out to go to the gym. And then I mopped floors. That counts as an upper-body workout, right?
The only bad workout is the one you don't do.
I normally keep Saturday open, but I'm going to Combat tomorrow morning since Attack got snowed out.

Last edited by eaton53; 01-17-2020 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-18-2020, 06:37 AM

989 posts, read 456,114 times
I'm 56 and noticed about 8 years ago, the pounds creeping up with what my regular diet had been for years.

Basically portion control works very well for me. So, yeah, calorie counting. I don't restrict any food groups, but I naturally avoid those that are calorically dense (bread, for instance) that make me blow past my calorie limits for the day. I don't do artificial sweeteners AT ALL because I have sensitive intestines and they all give me trouble with the exception of saccharin which I no longer care for the taste. So, I just use sugar in my tea, etc. and that's that.

In the last 2 years, I've had to stop all exercise that has me up on my feet. This includes walking. Now, certainly, I can walk, but to walk for exercise, I cannot. I have Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction. I do not have a tear in the tendon (yet), so I baby it to just keep it at the stage 1 level. I do have chronic pain in the ankle from it an any sort of exercising where I'm upright and moving at a good clip, aggravates it. It's super depressing and right now I'm just in depressed mode over it. I do know that I could get into rowing or Pilates so, I'll get there. But I found I can maintain my weight with calorie control. Any exercise I do is realistically only going to give me an extra 150 calories. I'd really like to do it for health, though.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:51 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I'm 56 and noticed about 8 years ago, the pounds creeping up with what my regular diet had been for years.

Basically portion control works very well for me. So, yeah, calorie counting. I don't restrict any food groups, but I naturally avoid those that are calorically dense (bread, for instance) that make me blow past my calorie limits for the day. I don't do artificial sweeteners AT ALL because I have sensitive intestines and they all give me trouble with the exception of saccharin which I no longer care for the taste. So, I just use sugar in my tea, etc. and that's that.

In the last 2 years, I've had to stop all exercise that has me up on my feet. This includes walking. Now, certainly, I can walk, but to walk for exercise, I cannot. I have Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction. I do not have a tear in the tendon (yet), so I baby it to just keep it at the stage 1 level. I do have chronic pain in the ankle from it an any sort of exercising where I'm upright and moving at a good clip, aggravates it. It's super depressing and right now I'm just in depressed mode over it. I do know that I could get into rowing or Pilates so, I'll get there. But I found I can maintain my weight with calorie control. Any exercise I do is realistically only going to give me an extra 150 calories. I'd really like to do it for health, though.
I wonder if you could swim or even do a water aerobics class. It's very low impact. Most Ys have a Silver Sneakers program, so it's free, if that matters.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:05 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Their website has a search process for local markets and it's available here. Can't wait to try it. I do like scrambled tofu but this might be nice, too!
I promise you, once you've tried Just Egg, you'll never eat scrambled tofu again.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:28 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Most people in the senior community I live in (an active 55+ community) are not vegan or even vegetarian. They manage to play golf and dance in the town square at night, eat whatever they enjoy eating, just not a "lot" of it. Some cook for themselves and spouses most nights and dine out occasionally, some do the exact opposite, and some gave up cooking entirely when they moved.

Obesity is -very- rare here, because most people are still active well into their 80's. By active I mean they still play golf every week and go dancing at least once a week. This is not the typical shuffleboard crowd (though some do that as well).

I lost 10 pounds in the last 2 months, and I moved here 2 months ago. I'll be taking an archery class next week.

My diet hasn't changed too much. I don't eat pizza anymore because there's no such thing as good pizza in Florida, and so it's pointless to even try. But there are a few places that make a decent steak and blue cheese flatbread, so I indulge every few weeks.

And hot wings. and lots of salads. I even had a hotdog last week at the country club.

The best weight control is to stay active and if you find yourself unable to be AS active as before, just eat less of what you already eat.
Makes sense to me. That's what I see most of the (other) elderly people around here doing. And at age 72 myself, I figured I am not about to spend my remaining years depriving myself of my favorite culinary treats, but I find that once in a while and smaller portions is just as satisfactory as eating the stuff regularly. Maybe more so as eating those treats more judiciously doesn't come (at least for me) with the uncomfortable GI side effects of a full portion. I just try to watch the salt intake most of the time out of deference to my high blood pressure.

But I also exercise regularly, I believe this is as important as moderation in my eating habits to be at my best in my "golden years". We know exercise helps in blood pressure control, keeping diabetes at bay, helping with mobility, and just overall wellbeing. And I'm finding that with some nodding concessions to morbidities that might hamper one's ability to exercise effectively (in my case a cardiac pacemaker and meds to control sick sinus syndrome), maybe an OTC pain reliever (tylenol and naproxen for me) once in a while, I can increase the length and intensity of the exercise as indicated to keep up the good effects.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:45 AM

989 posts, read 456,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I wonder if you could swim or even do a water aerobics class. It's very low impact. Most Ys have a Silver Sneakers program, so it's free, if that matters.
Believe it or not, I have another condition (skin) that prohibits me from spending any time in a chlorinated pool. Yeah, I'm a fun person!

Old 01-18-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The only bad workout is the one you don't do.
I normally keep Saturday open, but I'm going to Combat tomorrow morning since Attack got snowed out.
OK, did it!
No Death Storms on the horizon, so back to the regular schedule.

I'll wear a Climacool shirt for Tuesday's triple-header to avoid another wet t-shirt contest.
I like Manchester United shirts for the hardest cardio classes, they breathe really well and are non-stick.

The one I just got has some kickball player's name I can't pronounce on the back.
It was real cheap, so maybe he's not on the team anymore.
I don't care about Man U, but I like the Chevy bowtie on the front.

Here's a picture of them wearing my newest shirt, jumping on each other after doing something good in the kickball game.

I have no idea who any of these people are.

Last edited by eaton53; 01-18-2020 at 01:29 PM..

Old 01-18-2020, 03:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Believe it or not, I have another condition (skin) that prohibits me from spending any time in a chlorinated pool. Yeah, I'm a fun person!
Oh, no!! I'm so sorry. Gentle yoga? Chair ballet? There used to be a program early in the morning on PBS that featured something like this.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 01-18-2020 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss