Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2020, 03:58 AM

1 posts, read 375 times

Advertisements

I feel like I should start this post as an apology, because my problem is the antithesis of what the forum title is. It's hard to find somewhere suitable to ask about these problems, or finding people who can relate. I understand most people are trying for the opposite and think this is a good thing to have, but it's never-the-less a problem and not so much a blessing.

I'm a man who can't gain weight. When I was a teenager I grew up very tall and spindly, and was very self-conscious about it. Now well established into my 40's I actually weigh less than I did when I was 15/16 years old (about 10 stone, 64 kg. I'm about 6ft 3"). I've had blood tests, and my thyroid checked out, and physically I'm healthy, my body fat levels are very low, and trace elements all in the right places. I do suffer from low blood pressure though (ever since I was a young child), which can leave me fatigued and quite dizzy some days, and I can't help thinking that it's related to my weight.

My diet is generally very healthy and balanced. I am not short on food/calories in anyway, and have three regular meals: breakfast, lunch time and evenings. I would say I eat more than most people I know. This past month however I've also taken to snacking between meals with many things I shouldn't be eating, but it feels like my body is calling out for even more calories. When I really push myself I sometimes gain a kilo or two, but I can't maintain it. I work most of the day sat down, although I do keep a vegetable garden as my source of exercise.

My frame is such that I don't think too much weight would suit me, but I was rather counting on the hormonal changes of later life would help me keep some weight on. I still feel quite self-conscious about this level of skinniness. I can't wear my wedding ring for example because my fingers are narrower than my knuckle so it eventually falls off.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 04:54 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Just noticed your post by accident-- it got buried and unnoticed.

Probably your situation is "just the way you are" and no pathology is involved, but:

Your description is vaguely reminiscent of Marfan's Syndrome-- Abe Lincoln may well have had it. It's genetic and carries certain correctable problems with eyes and aortic aneurysm, and other non-correctable things like lax joints prone to dislocations & ligament injuries.

Thin body plus hypotension also suggests certain adrenal problems that are easily checked with stimulation tests. Full blown Addison's Disease usually comes on more or less suddenly and also usually associated with nausea/vomiting, but "borderline cases" do exist and have to be looked for specifically with testing.

If those aren't your problems, then you're in luck! Just go to the weight loss section here and go out of your way to eat all the things they're saying not to eat there

Old 01-29-2020, 06:08 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,755 times
You think you are eating enough but you aren’t. Keep eating even if you aren’t hungry. Do you know how many calories you are eating now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss