Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 01:10 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
False.
If you're eating 1,200 calories a day of Twinkies it's not like you blood glucose is going to be elevated for most of the day anyway. A package of Twinkies is 270 calories, so that's 4 1/2 packages a day. Even if you spaced them out and ate one Twinkie every hour for nine hours of the day most of the day would be spent at baseline blood glucose and insulin levels. E.g., one Twinkie isn't going to provide a huge glucose load and will be rapidly digested. A healthy individual would return to baseline blood glucose and insulin levels between each of their nine Twinkies. Then there's obviously the other 15 hours of the day where no Twinkies are being consumed. Call it 6 hours of storing fat and 18 hours of burning either fat or glucose.

So in a way it's true. If you have elevated insulin, the body really does not burn fat. Of course, you have elevated insulin because you have elevated blood glucose because you ate food containing carbs and protein, primary carbs. Even for a diabetic though, they still would spend most of the day with baseline insulin and blood glucose. Unless of course they're shooting long acting insulin in improper quantities for their diet in which case they'd go hypoglycemic and need to eat more than nine Twinkies to avoid passing out and going into a coma. Diabetic shooting insulin would need to adjust their insulin usage according to their diet and exercise levels which for a healthy person would not be necessary since the body can just do that for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 04:54 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
If you're eating 1,200 calories a day of Twinkies it's not like you blood glucose is going to be elevated for most of the day anyway. A package of Twinkies is 270 calories, so that's 4 1/2 packages a day. Even if you spaced them out and ate one Twinkie every hour for nine hours of the day most of the day would be spent at baseline blood glucose and insulin levels. E.g., one Twinkie isn't going to provide a huge glucose load and will be rapidly digested. A healthy individual would return to baseline blood glucose and insulin levels between each of their nine Twinkies. Then there's obviously the other 15 hours of the day where no Twinkies are being consumed. Call it 6 hours of storing fat and 18 hours of burning either fat or glucose.

So in a way it's true. If you have elevated insulin, the body really does not burn fat. Of course, you have elevated insulin because you have elevated blood glucose because you ate food containing carbs and protein, primary carbs. Even for a diabetic though, they still would spend most of the day with baseline insulin and blood glucose. Unless of course they're shooting long acting insulin in improper quantities for their diet in which case they'd go hypoglycemic and need to eat more than nine Twinkies to avoid passing out and going into a coma. Diabetic shooting insulin would need to adjust their insulin usage according to their diet and exercise levels which for a healthy person would not be necessary since the body can just do that for itself.
So the guy who did the Twinkie diet is a liar?

Old 02-14-2020, 04:44 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”

― Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

Old 02-14-2020, 11:39 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
So the guy who did the Twinkie diet is a liar?
Probably. I've never met anyone who hasn't lied about something. That's immaterial. The question is whether he lied about the Twinkie diet or the results. I doubt it. It's simple CICO.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:46 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Probably. I've never met anyone who hasn't lied about something. That's immaterial. The question is whether he lied about the Twinkie diet or the results. I doubt it. It's simple CICO.
Well he actually did a study. So did the guy who ate nothing but Mc Donalds and lost weight.

And yes it is simple CICO. You can eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you burn more than you take in. It aint rocket science.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I personally believe different bodies react to different foods and exercise types differently, and that's why there is no "one size fits all" magic diet plan.

Example - Weight Watchers lets you eat whatever you like, as long as you stay within a certain number of "points," (aka "calories" - just simplified). WW also does offer a lot of "free" foods which don't count toward one's "points," which is an attempt to help people incorporate better eating habits. All in all, that's not a bad system.

However, I could never lose more than 8 pounds on WW. I mean, I'd lose that first 8 pounds and everything would be great - and then it would all come to a standstill. That's because I didn't know the effect that gluten was having on my body - till I went on a plan that didn't count calories or points, but instead cut out every single most common type of food that can cause problems with different body types - sugar, eggs, milk products, and gluten are the ones that come to my mind. Yes, that first week or two was very difficult!

But I loved that plan because it got my body really clean and then I could add one thing back at a time and truly see how my body was reacting. Sugar in moderation - fine. Eggs - fine. Milk products - fine. Gluten - BAM. THAT was the issue all along! So honestly, it wasn't simply the calorie count, because I could add 1/2 a piece of dry toast and suddenly I would bloat up, and my joints would start hurting, and I would not lose a pound and might actually gain several pounds for that week. Because of 1/2 a piece of toast - or 3 dry crackers - or something like that. TOTALLY not worth it.

Not only that, all along I had thought that my joints hurting was just a part of getting older. Come to find out, gluten will really exacerbate joint pain for me.

So yes, of course I believe that to some extent, calories in calories out is the key, I do believe that different body types are more sensitive to different food types. I was doing this clean plan thing to determine food sensitivities with two other friends and neither of them reacted negatively to gluten, but one reacted negatively to eggs and the other to milk products - and I was fine with both. Thank goodness because I really like both - LOL.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:06 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Kathryn, I agree with you. I've also eliminated different foods over the decades and try to eat very simply.

A lot of it seems to be genetic. My whole family has always had problems with milk so we avoid it, but we can eat cheese.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:24 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,545,735 times
What bunk.

1. After so many people told me I was "cheating" I started on a VLC liquid diet where I didn't eat any food but the prepackaged 100 calorie shakes. Still didn't work after a while when my body adjusted.

2. A study came out recently stating that human body temps in modern countries are dropping. From 98.6 to 98. This means one thing... basil metabolic rate has dropped. So most people do not have the calories burned per day that we are told we have.

3. Calories are not a unbending thing. Food goes in the mouth and is processed by the body differently.
- hot food gives more calories than raw foods.
- some foods (such as nuts) have resistant starch, this resistant starch is not able to be broken down by the body, thus, calories absorbed are less.
- Bacteria in the gut makes a difference. Some bacteria have been proven to provide more energy to the body than others.

4. There are studies on the books that show reduction in calories for 2 weeks, causes a reduction in your BMR. Studies showing that those who lost more weight took breaks. Those who didn't -- didn't lose as much -- can gained it back.

And this is just the things we know about.

There is a group of people with high metabolisms that want to virtue signal and also want to make sure the rest of us don't lose weight by spreading this "eat less" simple as that - lie. For some, it isn't simple.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:51 AM

289 posts, read 248,318 times
Always is energy balance there maybe 0.001% of the population that have a medical condition possibly thyroid. But the rest cant be bothered to go through the process correctly want a quick fix or shortcuts cheat themselves.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,545,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Always is energy balance there maybe 0.001% of the population that have a medical condition possibly thyroid. But the rest cant be bothered to go through the process correctly want a quick fix or shortcuts cheat themselves.
No it is more like 40% of the population naturally has a low metabolic rate. Without a thyroid problem.

In the past this would have given us a major edge on survival. Now we are being materially harmed by the nutrition guidelines and advice on what to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss