Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 03:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,088,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
From your own quote: "these observational data cannot establish causality"

Translation: The evidence doesn't show that one causes the other.

Here is some better reading: https://examine.com/nutrition/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you/

Quote:
In short, many people who have bad diets may consume diet soda in an attempt to do "less damage" - this could result in an incorrect association of diet soda consumption with health conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 04:37 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,635,434 times
I don't really get the appeal.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,267,695 times
I drink it.
I don't like coffee, so I drink Diet Dew instead.
I drink Gatorade Zero, too.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:40 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,067,293 times
can't stand the artificial and overly sweet taste. Much rather have water.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:57 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,410,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
From the study: Consistent with these findings, diet soda was associated with development of high fasting glucose and high waist circumference

Shocker!! Obese individuals drinking more than 1 soda a day had issues.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
I drink diet snapple because water can get boring sometimes. (this is coming from someone who gets 64 oz of water daily)

Whatever floats your boat.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:31 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,443,112 times
I used to be a Diet Coke addict. I gave it up about 4 years ago. No one told me to. But I just started eating clean in general, so I cut out processed and artificial crap.

About a year after the fact, when I mentioned it to my doctor, she told me that diet soda is horrible for you and that there is a definite link between diet soda consumption and stroke as well as bone loss. She had never mentioned it before.

That said, of all the food I've given up (grain, dairy, among others), Diet Coke is the only thing I still crave. I'm sure one wouldn't hurt me, but I know I could never stop at one. If I had a Diet Coke now, I would be right back to drinking them constantly. I drink water and tea (unsweetened) almost exclusively now. I also drink sparkling water from time to time.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:13 AM

50,912 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleochatra View Post
I've had soda/diet soda (call it pop where I'm from ) all of my life. I have read all the issues but I'm still not finding a doctor that is telling me that it is absolutely awful to drink! Doctors have said to change up and drink green teas or whatever but still nothing is being said that it is truly bad for me. I had an appointment with a cancer center doc and she said no indications of a connection with diet pop and cancer!

I IF so my diet "pop" is kinda what gets me through. I know there are mixed reviews about artificial sweeteners during fasting but drinking diet drinks are my only "cheat"!
I’m a diet soda addict too. What I did was switch from the major brands, which all use aspartame, to smaller lesser known brands which use natural sweeteners. Walmart has a brand called Blue Sky which uses Stevia as a sweetener. There’s also a brand called Vergils which makes a good diet root beer. They also use Stevia as a sweetener. It’s not as expensive as he would think. I buy the cola in the blue sky brand, and it’s $2.98 for a six pack which I don’t think is that bad.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
You can drink bubbly water. Right now these flavored seltzer water is all the rage right now.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:36 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,581,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
.... Diet soda is correlated with obesity, and it's a pretty strong correlation. Correlation doesn't mean causation, however. It could simply be that diet soda drinkers just have poor diets and eat too much. That's probably a large part of it. You take someone who is an endemic overeater and they're probably more likely to turn to an easy remedy like substituting regular soda for diet soda and not make any other changes (or worse yet just substitute other snacks since they don't get the short-term satiety from diet soda). Then you get to those subjectives. That touches on it. artificial sweeteners don't seem to produce the same short-term satiety of consuming sugar, may increase appetite, and may skew the food pallet towards gravitating towards sugary foods. Most of the reason I don't care for soda is I find it overly sweet. Of course I have the same complaint with a lot of processed food since manufacturers love to dump sugar in just about anything. I find most supermarket breads far too sweet and I have no idea why people eat peanut butter with sugar in it. It doesn't even taste like peanut butter.
I can only speak from personal experience, but I think that people who are somewhat mindful of their poor eating habits often try and offset the impact by consuming diet soda instead of their higher calorie versions. There was a time where I indulged in a Big Mac, large fry and Diet Coke model fairly regularly. Eventually you become so accustomed to its taste it becomes preferable.

I was once a two-liter per day consumer of Diet Pepsi, now I drink diet soda maybe twice a month.

I'm unsure of the actual harm it may cause, but I try really hard to avoid consuming products which have listed ingredients I can't easily identify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I drink it.
I don't like coffee, so I drink Diet Dew instead.
I drink Gatorade Zero, too.
I indulge in Diet Dew as an occasional treat, but really enjoy it. I also have preferred sources to buy it when going the soda fountain route. Some have wine, others have craft beer; I have Diet Dew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss