Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 11:20 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,415,930 times

Advertisements

The Vegan Diet!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uary-1.5459062

7 of 8 employees at AIM Medical Imaging Services completed the 30-day vegan challenge

After a month of plant-based eating, it's finally time to order pizza.

This celebration requires cheese. Lots of cheese.

"It's been a hard month," Sean Jensen said between gigantic bites of pizza. "But this is delicious."

This is the first non-vegan meal for Jensen and his co-workers who switched to a plant-based diet for the month of January to see if it would improve their overall health.

At the start of the challenge, each person tested their blood, body mass index, visceral fat and peripheral fat levels.

Forget paintball, this company's team building activity is veganism
After 30 days of veganism, the group of seven — one person dropped out of the challenge — ran the same tests to see if they were any healthier.

Dr. Raj Attariwala, who runs the clinic, says he lost eight pounds but it was mostly muscle.

"I have to tighten my belt but I gained fat," he said. "I'm a skinnier, fatter guy than I was before."

The employees at AIM Medical Imaging have access to the company's Prenuvo full body MRI scans, which allow them to measure the benefits of their diets in great detail.

The team also had tests and analysis work done at the nearby medical clinic Preventum.

Everyone lost weight. Most people saw improvements in their blood tests and visceral fat levels went down modestly.

Attariwala says, however, everyone lost muscle except for one person who started an exercise program partway through the challenge.

"We see that we're thinner and think that we should be healthier, but the truth is we're not," he said.

"My body was basically sucking energy from my muscles instead of from my fat."

The takeaway
Most people found that meal planning was challenging and expensive. It was hard to find healthy sources of protein and it was difficult to stay away from foods that were high in carbohydrates.

AIM employee Erica Ferreira says the positive is she learned a great deal about planning meals.

"I'll definitely think about what's going in my body a little bit more from now on," she said. "It was a good experiment."

For Attariwala, who didn't make any changes to his fitness routine, the biggest takeaway from the experiment is the importance of working out.

"It's not just diet, it's exercise, too," he said.

"I'm going to try to eat less and move more."

Around the lunchroom table at the pizza party, the discussion centres around how many foods appear to be vegan — such as breads or sauces — but actually contain eggs, honey or some other kind of product that comes from animals.

Jensen says he absent mindedly ordered a cappuccino during the challenge and didn't realize he was drinking dairy until he had finished his cup.

"You just have to be so careful," he said.

"When you're out and you think of a place where you can just pick something up quickly, what can you get that's not yam fries?"

Throughout the challenge, everyone also came to appreciate Vancouver's vegan restaurants and realized there are many delicious options.

Jensen isn't giving up meat, and he's certainly not quitting cheese, but he plans to scale back on both.

"I guess you can call me a vegetarian," he said.

"A vegetarian who eats meat."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 08:37 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,571,537 times
Worth noting here, in regards to losing muscle mass, alternate day diet versus calorie restriction.

Quote:
. One randomized controlled study compared ADF to a traditional, calorie-restricted diet with a 400-calorie deficit (16Trusted Source).

Both after an eight-week study and 24 unsupervised weeks, no difference was observed in weight regain between the groups.

However, after the 24 unsupervised weeks, the ADF group had preserved more muscle mass and lost more fat mass than the calorie-restricted group (16Trusted Source).

BOTTOM LINE:
Alternate-day fasting is more effective at preserving muscle mass during weight loss than other weight loss methods.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-fasting-guide

Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Worth noting here, in regards to losing muscle mass, alternate day diet versus calorie restriction.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-fasting-guide
Unfortunately it's not more effective than regular caloric restriction when it comes to fat loss.

There needs to be more head‐to‐head randomized clinical trials to show that ADF is superior to regular caloric restriction when it comes to fat loss.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:05 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,571,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Unfortunately it's not more effective than regular caloric restriction when it comes to fat loss.

This is true, any net gain in fat loss from ADF versus caloric restriction comes as a result of greater compliance, not body chemistry.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
You can include these Food items in your diet and follow some tips:

1. Beans
2. Eggs: Adding protein to your diet for that you can include eggs.
3. Avocado
4. Yogurt
5. Salmon
6. Fruits
7. Almonds

Tips to Lose Weight:

1. Trying a low-carb diet
2. Drink Lot of Water
3. Limiting added sugar intake
4. Avoid eating processed food

Old 02-17-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielShaw View Post
You can include these Food items in your diet and follow some tips:

1. Beans
2. Eggs: Adding protein to your diet for that you can include eggs.
3. Avocado
4. Yogurt
5. Salmon
6. Fruits
7. Almonds

Tips to Lose Weight:

1. Trying a low-carb diet
2. Drink Lot of Water
3. Limiting added sugar intake
4. Avoid eating processed food
No difference in weight loss when limiting sugars. This has been scientifically proven several times.

You know the best tip for losing weight? Eating in a caloric deficit. And you do that by picking the best diet that works for you.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:20 PM

289 posts, read 249,575 times
Energy balance Calories in Calories out determine fat loss, For health reasons limit processed foods.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:33 PM

505 posts, read 586,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
No difference in weight loss when limiting sugars. This has been scientifically proven several times.

You know the best tip for losing weight? Eating in a caloric deficit. And you do that by picking the best diet that works for you.
This 100%! As someone who's been dieting for 30+ years, tried zero/low carbs, zero sugar, high carbs/low fat, vegetarianism, veganism = good ol' calorie counting works!

Old 02-20-2020, 09:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,538,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
This 100%! As someone who's been dieting for 30+ years, tried zero/low carbs, zero sugar, high carbs/low fat, vegetarianism, veganism = good ol' calorie counting works!
Fact is most people have to "count" something, either mentally or actually doing it on paper. If you're not counting calories, then it's macros. Either way you can just be blissfully unaware, especially as you age.

My neighbor unfortunately lost 80 lbs in five months due to illness. Simply put, she ate less - she was not feeling up to eating and ate far smaller portions.

It really does come down to how much you take in vs. how much you expend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss