Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I continue with my diet
Yes 17 60.71%
No, I do not reccomend it 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,212 times

Advertisements

Now stay with me, I hope I don't write too much *I did*

Moving forward, like the majority of the people I have talked to, I dreaded switching to a full "Ketotarian" diet... I could hardly imagine my life without pasta, bread, etc. Most of my closest friends, family, and even strangers in cafes and restaurants told me it was "unhealthy", whatever that is supposed to mean. In addition, I imagined myself always being depressed and hungry... Now, looking back, I have no idea why I had such an assumption of what my life would be as a keto "diet'arian". Anyways, on a weekly basis, I read many inspiring stories, browsed this subreddit, yet still, I could not convince myself to give it a try...

Then one day something clicked. I do not have a better explanation of why my brain just switched from "don't do it, it is not worth it" to "let's give it a go!!! WOOOOOO". Was it "Healthilines" article's (found on https://sharecta.com/l/2vedpvix9nsw4 ) drooling pictures of food? Was it the way they structured their article? Was it an Instagram story I saw? Maybe it was the short-addictive video I came across on YouTube by 'Tasty' (found on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrwMKkyU14k ) I honestly have no idea. But what I did have an idea on, was that I was determined to dedicate at least a month of eating keto-friendly foods.

To put it mildly, the first few days were tough - I was constantly dreaming about mac n' cheese, thinking about all the types of spaghetti I could "chef-up", etc. Thankfully, I did not give in to the temptation of making myself a mean grilled cheese. TAKE THAT, CARBS! But then, something happened. On the fifth or so day I was feeling less bloated and my whole day was just marvelous, to say the least! I thought it was just a lucky day, but let me tell you that the whole of today I was non-stop smiling and being extremely talkative. It might have not been my new diet, but I am almost certain that it was. Other than that, my weight has not changed so far, but that is not my main goal. The real goal is to be happy and confident. Currently weighing 157 Lbs or 71.2 kg

Anyways, I could write and write, but it is time to stop Hopefully, this little novel I wrote inspired someone or resonated with someone who had the same experience when starting out. If you have not yet tried this diet plan, TRY IT!

Best,

P.S If anyone has some good recipes or some good tips please let me know in the comments below!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 07:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Get some low carb wraps. Usually in the tortilla section. I use these for sandwiches and I make grilled cheese and tacos too. And you can make pizza!

Old 02-12-2020, 07:31 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
When you first start a Keto regimen, it takes up to 14 days before your body acclimates, so don't be surprised.

One of the changes is the liver metabolizing the stored glycogen and releasing extra water (the so-called 'water weight'). That process may be delayed by eating too many carbs in the beginning.
If the blood levels of sugar are too high, sugar goes to the liver where it’s converted into a storage form of glucose called glycogen. Each gram of glycogen that’s stored in your body is attached to 2.7 grams of water. If you load up on carbs (or protein) and refill your glycogen stores, it can increase your weight by as much as 3 to 5 pounds overnight. (And if you deplete those stores, you can lose as much as 3 to 5 pounds overnight. But that loss rate will not continue, once your glycogen supply is consumed.)

Ketosis in the Bush
38 Days Of Pemmican – Ketosis In The Winter Bush

Old 02-12-2020, 10:12 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formZerotoHero View Post
Now stay with me, I hope I don't write too much *I did*

Moving forward, like the majority of the people I have talked to, I dreaded switching to a full "Ketotarian" diet... I could hardly imagine my life without pasta, bread, etc. Most of my closest friends, family, and even strangers in cafes and restaurants told me it was "unhealthy", whatever that is supposed to mean. In addition, I imagined myself always being depressed and hungry... Now, looking back, I have no idea why I had such an assumption of what my life would be as a keto "diet'arian". Anyways, on a weekly basis, I read many inspiring stories, browsed this subreddit, yet still, I could not convince myself to give it a try...

Then one day something clicked. I do not have a better explanation of why my brain just switched from "don't do it, it is not worth it" to "let's give it a go!!! WOOOOOO". Was it "Healthilines" article's (found on https://sharecta.com/l/2vedpvix9nsw4 ) drooling pictures of food? Was it the way they structured their article? Was it an Instagram story I saw? Maybe it was the short-addictive video I came across on YouTube by 'Tasty' (found on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrwMKkyU14k ) I honestly have no idea. But what I did have an idea on, was that I was determined to dedicate at least a month of eating keto-friendly foods.

To put it mildly, the first few days were tough - I was constantly dreaming about mac n' cheese, thinking about all the types of spaghetti I could "chef-up", etc. Thankfully, I did not give in to the temptation of making myself a mean grilled cheese. TAKE THAT, CARBS! But then, something happened. On the fifth or so day I was feeling less bloated and my whole day was just marvelous, to say the least! I thought it was just a lucky day, but let me tell you that the whole of today I was non-stop smiling and being extremely talkative. It might have not been my new diet, but I am almost certain that it was. Other than that, my weight has not changed so far, but that is not my main goal. The real goal is to be happy and confident. Currently weighing 157 Lbs or 71.2 kg

Anyways, I could write and write, but it is time to stop Hopefully, this little novel I wrote inspired someone or resonated with someone who had the same experience when starting out. If you have not yet tried this diet plan, TRY IT!

Best,

P.S If anyone has some good recipes or some good tips please let me know in the comments below!
I've been doing keto for a year and a half or so. You'll get used to not eating rice, bread and pasta. That goes for low carb wraps too. Wheat flour is not keto.

For tips:
Don't give up. It can be done, just put your mind to it.
Take a quality multi vitamin every day. It'll help fill in anything you may be missing out on and it will help against "keto flu".
Get used to shopping the outlying section of the store. Meat, cheese, dairy and veggies are usually around the perimeter. You'll only go into the aisles for condiments and drinks.

I could go on, but I'll give ya some links that have helped me. Plenty of advice and recipes.
ruled.me
ketodaily.com
castironketo.net

Old 02-13-2020, 10:22 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
I tried the keto and felt horrible. I got "keto flu" and even taking the supplements didn't help. I had no energy, couldn't sleep and in general felt like crap. I spoke with my surgeon and he said just do low carb and sugar....key being moderation. I was having major surgery which was the reason to lose weight.

Anyway, since I have changed to just low carb and sugar I have felt much better and am still losing weight. I drink no soda (only water, flavored water or stevia sweetened ice tea) and rarely eat anything considered dessert. If I want a sweet I have a small piece of dark chocolate. I do eat the whole wheat carb balance Mission tortilla for sandwiches, but no other bread/pasta/potatoes. If I don't feel like eating, I don't. I have had 3 abdominal surgeries (colostomy, reversal and reconstruction/hernia repair) over the past 2.5 years so I have to keep a watch so things don't irritate my system.

I joined a couple of keto FB groups but they were so nasty with the "keto police" that I quit them and found 2 low carb groups who are much nicer and more helpful with recipes, etc.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:32 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
I recommend crustless pizza. IMO, the best low carb pizza sauce is Mids.
BTW... low carb grilled cheese is not impossible. I use Aunt Millies Whole Grain... two slices is just 11 net carbs.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:19 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Get some low carb wraps. Usually in the tortilla section. I use these for sandwiches and I make grilled cheese and tacos too. And you can make pizza!
I agree, these low carb wraps or tortillas are amazing. I substitute if for bread in bacon, letteuce and tomato
Tastes better than bread in my opinion.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
I was thinking of doing keto diet but I wasn't sure if I like it. So, first what I did was just to try to include few keto meals into my diet. I think it is very important to like what you eating if you want to stick to a certain diet. Sorry, if what I am saying is offtopic, because I did not read whole topic. One of the meals I like is Bacon and Kimchi Deviled Eggs. Here's a recipe:

Ingredients:
3 Eggs, hard boiled
1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Kimchi, chopped
1 Tbsp Bacon bits
1/2 tsp light Soy Sauce
2 tsp chopped Spring Onions
1 tsp toasted Sesame Seeds

Procedure:
1) Peel eggs and cut in half. Separate yolks from the whites.
2) Combine egg yolks, mayonnaise, kimchi, bacon bits, soy sauce, and spring onions in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
3) Spoon mixture into egg white halves.
4) Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds.

Nutritional Information:
Energy - 339 kcal
Protein - 20g (25%)
Fat - 26g (70%)
Carbohydrates - 4g (5%)
Fiber - 1g

Old 02-14-2020, 09:19 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, I don't understand why you're doing a radical weight-loss diet (keto), if you don't need to lose weight. There seems to be a piece missing in your story. OTOH, I'd like to comment, that I think you have a future in short-story writing, or something of that nature. You have a gift for story-telling.

I don't mean to take the wind out of anyone's sails, but I recently came across an article, warning that keto diets may adversely affect bone health. They may leach minerals out of the bones, or something, IDK, but I think it's a topic worth keeping an eye on, for people doing that diet. I didn't read the whole article, because I do low-carb, but don't aim for keto.

Stay healthy, stay safe, people. Best wishes!

Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I'm now 5 months into Keto and things are definitely different. If you ask anyone who's done 3+ months of solid keto they would say staying the course.

Because if you struggled hard in the beginning and didn't push for the body to get acclimated then you are not really doing keto. When the body is finally running on keto as your normal energy fuel it's a competely different body experience than being on carbs.

It's definitely a new body experience different than just plain weight loss. The ability to concentrate now is amazing. I never realize that the brain fog is so apparent if you eat a lot of sugar.

Anyways, for those folks that suffered Keto Flu or all other symptoms, you need to read up on your nutritional deficiencies. It's not Keto that is giving you those problems it's your body telling you that your body is missing some key nutrients that you used to get from carb foods. Read up and your body will be back to normal when you boost those nutrients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss