Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 06:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,913,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Still wrong.
Care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 06:45 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Care to elaborate?
There is peer reviewed research (that I've posted here before) showing that people who lose weight quickly at the beginning of a diet are more likely rather than less likely to maintain that weight loss after the diet ends.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:49 PM

289 posts, read 248,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
There is peer reviewed research (that I've posted here before) showing that people who lose weight quickly at the beginning of a diet are more likely rather than less likely to maintain that weight loss after the diet ends.
Well provide a link to the study.

Most research that I have read points to not losing more than 1% of bodywork a week lose more and your losing lean body mass.

Also what ever diet changes your going to make have to be lifestyle changes that you can sustain for the rest of your life.

Look at the study into the biggest loser most regained the weight back,

Average weight before filming The Biggest Loser: 328 lb.

Average weight after 30 weeks on The Biggest Loser: 199 lb.

Average weight six years after final on camera weigh-in: 290 lb.

This means that, on average, participants regained 70 percent of the weight they’d lost. (Although they did keep off 30 percent of it.)

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/t...st-loser-study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23404767
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3660472/

Old 02-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Well provide a link to the study.
I’ve posted it here more than once. You’re more than welcome to do a little digging through my post history to find it. I’m away from home (and my bookmarks) and thus don’t have it readily available.

Quote:
Most research that I have read points to not losing more than 1% of bodywork a week lose more and your losing lean body mass.
Knowing what I know, I’d bet that they used inadequate protein intake throughout the study.

Quote:
Also what ever diet changes your going to make have to be lifestyle changes that you can sustain for the rest of your life.
No, they don’t. There is no reason that the diet someone uses to lose weight has to be the same diet they spend the rest of their lives on. That’s not how this works.

Lastly, I’m well aware of the problems with The Biggest Loser, but none of that is really applicable here.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:28 PM

289 posts, read 248,867 times
No so wrong yes Protein consumption is necessary to preserve mussel mas but so is resistance training, but try to lose over 1 % body weight and you will be losing lean body mass and your not going to look or feel good at the end of your diet.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:29 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
Try various diet and go with what works and appeals to you the most. Of course it must be nutritionally sound.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:12 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,798,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Try various diet and go with what works and appeals to you the most. Of course it must be nutritionally sound.
Took me a while to arrive at the low-carb diet I am on now. Current science is encouraging. I like how this doctor, Mark Hyman, explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgWBKJsJtk0

Old 02-24-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
No so wrong
Is it? How much protein was consumed relative to body mass?

Quote:
yes Protein consumption is necessary to preserve mussel mas but so is resistance training
of course.

Quote:
but try to lose over 1 % body weight and you will be losing lean body mass and your not going to look or feel good at the end of your diet.
Highly context dependent. For someone who is already exceptionally lean, that might be the case, while someone who is obese would not have that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss