Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 03:25 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertotstaken View Post
I've heard complete opposite circumstances. My Primary didn't recommend fasting for me, so I can assume it's definitely not one size fits all when it comes to this stuff. Smaller six meals a day has fit my appetite though as well as others in the family! All in all if the creator of the post hasn't asked their doctor yet to get a more customized view on diet and exercise then I definitely would.
Most doctors are behind the times when it comes to dieting. Still recommending frequent small meals (which, again, never gives your "hunger hormone" a chance to calm down or your body a chance to use your own fat for fuel) and, worse, the food pyramid, which is ridiculously heavy on carbs and what has made us fat for the past 30 or so years....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 07:16 PM

This thread is making me crave Spam (reduced fat and sodium version, of course).

Old 02-04-2021, 09:26 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Except that France’s obesity rate is generally low and they eat bread and have eaten bread for a long time. The ingredients are likely different than our bread, but baguette has wheat in it.
The problem is the quality of the bread here is terrible.

I remember having a soft pretzel in Germany. You could really taste the difference between their pretzels and ours. The refined flour here has nothing to it. In Germany, you could taste the difference (much better) and it filled your stomach faster, too.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:19 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
France has a much higher quality wheat than the US. Ours is much much worse.
What is this based on?

According to the article below, U.S. wheat generally has more protein and 10x more selenium than most European wheat.

"It's also important to keep in mind that while the U.S. imports little wheat, Europe imports about 1.1 million tons of American wheat each year, so you can find plenty of American wheat throughout the EU"
https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/is...pean-wheat.htm

Old 02-05-2021, 09:22 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Except that France’s obesity rate is generally low and they eat bread and have eaten bread for a long time. The ingredients are likely different than our bread, but baguette has wheat in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The problem is the quality of the bread here is terrible.

I remember having a soft pretzel in Germany. You could really taste the difference between their pretzels and ours. The refined flour here has nothing to it. In Germany, you could taste the difference (much better) and it filled your stomach faster, too.
You could argue that the wine in France and the beer in Germany is also better, but I don't think that's why obesity rates are lower in those countries.

"correlation does not imply causation"

Old 02-06-2021, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 506 times
Drink a lot of water, cut back on carbs and try keto diet

Old 02-07-2021, 02:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
What is this based on?

According to the article below, U.S. wheat generally has more protein and 10x more selenium than most European wheat.

"It's also important to keep in mind that while the U.S. imports little wheat, Europe imports about 1.1 million tons of American wheat each year, so you can find plenty of American wheat throughout the EU"
https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/is...pean-wheat.htm
In the end the GMO, high yield semi-dwarf modern wheat, has been a massive billion dollar (s) healthcare disaster due to results of the obesity epidemic. If in fact the EU is importing more US wheat, expect obesity rates to definitely increase in Europe. There is a direct correlation with modern wheat introduction into the food supply in the US starting in the mid 1980's and the exponential growth in obesity that occurred ever since then.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
In the end the GMO, high yield semi-dwarf modern wheat, has been a massive billion dollar (s) healthcare disaster due to results of the obesity epidemic. If in fact the EU is importing more US wheat, expect obesity rates to definitely increase in Europe. There is a direct correlation with modern wheat introduction into the food supply in the US starting in the mid 1980's and the exponential growth in obesity that occurred ever since then.
This is absolutely true. EU has a much stricter guideline with GMO and pesticides. This is why I hate the FDA here, they need to outlaw pesticides and require food labels on GMO. People don't realize that although you can be eating meats but you're getting the gmo grain problems from the animals you eat.

Not to mention that US soils are very low in nutrients vs soil in Europe. I alway buy pasta grown in Italy over US pastas.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelter M View Post
Drink a lot of water, cut back on carbs and try keto diet
Keto is pretty extreme and also rather controversial. Usually just going low-carb is sufficient.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:29 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Lol, no hills in Texas.
There are in the Texas hill country....

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss