Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 04:48 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times

Advertisements

I do intermittent fasting, along with a low-carb, high protein diet. I've lost 28 pounds, but right now, I'm at 21 pounds. COVID-19 protocols have gotten me off target the past two weeks, I better be careful. I mainly eat protein. I also eat nuts, and salads, and peanut butter.

Three days ago, I had a pain in my hip that caused me to walk with a limp. Overnight it became worse and I went to my doctor the next morning. The diagnosis: Bursitis. I found out that if you eat a high protein diet, there is a chance that inflammation can occur in your body! It's been a rough patch for me this week.

Anybody know of any other side effects that may occur due to diet and weight loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I do intermittent fasting, along with a low-carb, high protein diet. I've lost 28 pounds, but right now, I'm at 21 pounds. COVID-19 protocols have gotten me off target the past two weeks, I better be careful. I mainly eat protein. I also eat nuts, and salads, and peanut butter.

Three days ago, I had a pain in my hip that caused me to walk with a limp. Overnight it became worse and I went to my doctor the next morning. The diagnosis: Bursitis. I found out that if you eat a high protein diet, there is a chance that inflammation can occur in your body! It's been a rough patch for me this week.

Anybody know of any other side effects that may occur due to diet and weight loss?
Rage.

Being hungry most of the time can create emotional resentment. Fortunately, I live alone and my cat is currently 500 miles away, and I'm in New Jersey where we are socially distancing because so many people are sick so I can't hurt any living creatures.

But the other day I murdered my scale. I literally stomped the damn thing to death.

It hadn't been working right for a while. It originally had some sort of memory feature that went wonky early on, but it was still in there, so sometimes I'd get on the scale and it would show one number, then if you stepped off and back on, it would show another.

I've been seriously planning my food choices, recording in Myfitnesspal every day for about 50 days now, walking two or three miles whenever weather permits, and I've lost around 13 pounds. But for two weeks there, the scale showed no weight loss at all. Stuck on the same number. I'm eating vegetables and fish, no bread, no sugar, cut my wine consumption in half, and I'VE LOST NO WEIGHT???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Then one day during this period I stepped on the scale and the 0.0 showed up for a second and then it went dark. I turned it upside down and realize the little battery door was loose, and then I noticed that it was loose because the bottom of the scale was coming away. So, I got some duct tape and tightened it all up, made sure the batteries were in securely, and I stepped on the scale and turned out I had lost four pounds. The memory thing must have been stuck on that old number and that's all it would show. OK.

Used it for another week, was more or less OK, then the other day I woke up super hungry. I could not go back to sleep but I knew it was too early to eat or I would be hungry again in four hours and eating again and it would go that way all day, and that is not acceptable. I try to do most of my starving during the day so I can eat decently at night and feel full for a little while.

So I got out of bed and as is my habit now, I got on the scale. It showed I'd lost another pound. But because I couldn't trust that scale, I stepped on it again. Read 2.5 pounds higher. I got off, stepped on it again, still 2.5 pounds higher. Got off, stepped on it again, and now it was some new number between the first number and the second.

I'd had enough of this thing's unreliability. I started just smashing the frikken thing with my feet. I stomped it until the plastic cracked over the green numbers and kept stomping till it was unreadable. Then I got off and went into the other room and I could hear the scale dying. Little tiny things inside kept clinking and falling for the next two or three minutes. I finally put it in a bag and walked outside and tossed it in the Dumpster.

I know I wouldn't have been so angry and destructive if I weren't so hungry. But it all worked out. Obviously that scale was at the end of its life anyway, and I've ordered a new one that I chose based on reviews about reliability.

I hope it understands that it had better work as it is supposed to.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:19 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
Mightyqueen thanks for sharing Wow, what a story. If we all would be honest, the weighing and the dreaded scale can give us all a raging complex. Hang in there. I would love to do weekly weigh ins with you.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Mightyqueen thanks for sharing Wow, what a story. If we all would be honest, the weighing and the dreaded scale can give us all a raging complex. Hang in there. I would love to do weekly weigh ins with you.
I was hoping someone could relate and possibly be amused.

It is so much self-denial and work for such minimal, incremental results. I have to do it, though, if I want to be healthy. One thing that helps is remembering that there are people in this world who are suffering from hunger not by choice. Yes, the "starving children in India/Africa/wherever" thing is ingrained in my head.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:21 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Rage.

I hope it understands that it had better work as it is supposed to.

Awesome read. Trial and error, around a 500 calorie/day deficit or ~1 pound a week is what works for me the best. No particular diet, just don't drink too much beer and less junk food. Maintenance I just eat twice a day instead of three times. It keeps the weight stable without really thinking about what I'm eating aside from just generally making decent food choices but doesn't work for losing weight as even eating twice a day I just naturally tend to eat at least as much as I need and maybe a bit more if I'm being extra lazy. I've been eating a ton lately but since work is so slow it works okay. Doing more out in the yard and hiking, which work for me is sitting on my but in front of a computer screen so more activity.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But the other day I murdered my scale. I literally stomped the damn thing to death.
My scale is alive & well and continuing to tell me I weigh less.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
My scale is alive & well and continuing to tell me I weigh less.
The new one was delivered by Amazon today!

Old 05-03-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Awesome read. Trial and error, around a 500 calorie/day deficit or ~1 pound a week is what works for me the best. No particular diet, just don't drink too much beer and less junk food. Maintenance I just eat twice a day instead of three times. It keeps the weight stable without really thinking about what I'm eating aside from just generally making decent food choices but doesn't work for losing weight as even eating twice a day I just naturally tend to eat at least as much as I need and maybe a bit more if I'm being extra lazy. I've been eating a ton lately but since work is so slow it works okay. Doing more out in the yard and hiking, which work for me is sitting on my but in front of a computer screen so more activity.
Yup. Pound to pound and a half per week works best for me. More than that is unrealistic, in my experience.

Glad I entertained you.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Just looking a bit older - wrinkles show up more- some crapey skin on arms.
I didn't know that about protein and inflammation.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
The wrinkly old lady neck. Ugh. Oh well.

I've been doing IF as well, I absolutely love it. So bored with eating all these years, it's so nice to just eat after work, I look forward to it. I eat a lot of fresh vegetables, meat and some cheese. This week I got some fresh picked strawberries and the scale still went down a bit, which I didn't expect, but I'll take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss