Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 11:02 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,161,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
For your height and bone structure you shouldn't be trying to lose any weight at all. Your weight is appropriate for you. Your body is probably trying to tell you that.

Also, you have probably replaced some of your fat with muscle mass. If you put fat in a 2-ounce container, and muscle in another 2 ounce container, the one with the muscle will weigh more.

That means you're getting stronger and more muscular, and less fat.
The above smells like truth to me. I'm 5'10" and male, and at my leanest/baddest in college I was 167 too. Funny how that number stuck in my head. I was 20 and that was the Spring Break we hiked Grand Canyon, and damn it was a good thing I was at peak fitness, I kid you not. Got some good pictures of that. A summer later, I upped that to c. 180, and all of it was muscle: I worked landscaping, which sometimes involved hauling what we called 'timbers' at 75 lbs each. You'd toss one on your shoulders and move them from the truck to wherever on the property. And wheelbarrows filled with rocks big and small. Shoveling, chopping, you name it. Grunt work that was great in the summer for awhile to make some extra cash, and I had 1) a hella tan and 2) was damn near cut and certainly more muscular.

Never wanted to be thinner, haven't been before or since. Maybe one day again, though I'm at 52 and assume chemical and other physiological changes may put the kibosh on some of that. Were I OP I'd one, put the kibosh on attempts to "lose" anything further, and two, take it up with a trainer and/or an ND who isn't a quack.

Yet another reason why the scale alone, absent other measurements, is NOT the 'best' way of measuring progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 09:56 AM

10,339 posts, read 6,891,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaneli View Post
After having lost 25 lbs so far since this past April with daily exercise of 11 miles daily walks, weekend hikings, morning runs, weight training, caloric deficit, healthy eating, carefully watching my sugar and sodium intake, drinking plenty of water, no alcohol or liquors ever!! avoiding junk foods, fast food take outs, and even avoiding dining out; unfortunately its being almost a month since my weight loss came to a complete halt.

Yes, I was told I may have hit a plateau!? but I've being through them before, and had sucessfully break them by increasing my exercise, and even having a stricter caloric deficit! however last night I got on the weight scale, and my weight has not moved down one ounce! what gives?? I am not overweight, just trying to look more fit!!
What's your BMI?

Old 09-02-2020, 09:33 PM

11,133 posts, read 7,199,272 times
There's also the danger of a "fatty" brain, from TV. I love the advice from years ago: Kill your TV.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:10 AM

43 posts, read 34,707 times
"I am not overweight, just trying to look more fit!!" it does explain my whole situation. I have been on diets, but they no longer work. Because of the unbalanced diet, I disrupted the body's work. Now, even if I eat on a calorie deficiency, I can't lose weight. I was advised to disperse my metabolism and do more power exercises, not cardio. Perhaps, it will help you too!

Old 11-22-2020, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 489 times
Default Slow and steady wins the race

Hey there,

Please don't feel yourself disappointed that you don't find any weight loss even after sufficient workout is been done.There are several reasons behind this.

1. Keep an eye on your calorie intake as its very much important. Calorie balance is key to reduce your weight as your body make sure that you get enough protein and iron and lesser carbohydrates and necessary good fat.

2. Drink plenty of water as it helps you burn your fat more easily and keeps your appetite balanced so that you don't feel hungry always. Intake of more water also helps you avoid other complications in your body.

3. Final thing would be always have a diet that fits your body. Don't follow each and every diet pattern as it may vary and its always advisable to consult your personal trainer dietician and proceed with your diet plan as they asses your body and then give you the plan that might actually work only for you.

KEEP UP YOUR CONFIDENCE LEVEL HIGH AND AM SURE YOU WILL SEE GOOD RESULTS.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,744,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathyanarayana View Post
Hey there,

Please don't feel yourself disappointed that you don't find any weight loss even after sufficient workout is been done.There are several reasons behind this.

1. Keep an eye on your calorie intake as its very much important. Calorie balance is key to reduce your weight as your body make sure that you get enough protein and iron and lesser carbohydrates and necessary good fat.

2. Drink plenty of water as it helps you burn your fat more easily and keeps your appetite balanced so that you don't feel hungry always. Intake of more water also helps you avoid other complications in your body.

3. Final thing would be always have a diet that fits your body. Don't follow each and every diet pattern as it may vary and its always advisable to consult your personal trainer dietician and proceed with your diet plan as they asses your body and then give you the plan that might actually work only for you.

KEEP UP YOUR CONFIDENCE LEVEL HIGH AND AM SURE YOU WILL SEE GOOD RESULTS.
Those are not the best advice, calorie intake is only important depends on what kinds of food groups. If you ate 2 avocadoes that are 230 calories each which gives you almost 500 calories. It's not gonna make you gain weight compared to a bag of potato chips that is 500 calories due to carbs. That is why they are called empty calories.

#1 You must not understand how the body stores fat, healthy fats does not become body fat. However carbs does automatically get converted to storage which will become body fat if you don't exercise to use it.

#2 Over drinking of water is very dangerous, that is the one that that cause people to become deficient in minerals and get dehydrated because of too much mineral and electrolyte loss. You can't just drink an energy drink to replenish many types of minerals that can only be absorbed with the proper compound. There's no such thing as potassium replenish drink. Very dangerous to over drink water. I drink no more than 4-5 cups of water.

#3 It's true there's no one size fit all diet, however the fundamental properties of weight gains applies to all. Body fat is storage of glycogen which comes from excess carbs or protein. However everyone has a different metabolic state that allows them to burn through the glycogen stores. If you're an athlete, you burn those stores actively. If you live a very sedentary life you're not gonna need so much energy so the body automatically converts every unused glycogen into body fat.

The bottomline is the old understanding of weight gain is flawed. You're not supposed to eat 3-5 small meals. You're supposed to eat less no more than 2 meals a day. The more you space your meals apart the more time your body can process digestion better and not constantly be ready to process so much food intake. That's the biggest mistake people do is eating too much throughout the day.

I only eat one meal a day and no need for breakfast or lunch. It's very doable when you understand what creates hunger.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:58 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Those are not the best advice, calorie intake is only important depends on what kinds of food groups. If you ate 2 avocadoes that are 230 calories each which gives you almost 500 calories. It's not gonna make you gain weight compared to a bag of potato chips that is 500 calories due to carbs. That is why they are called empty calories.

#1 You must not understand how the body stores fat, healthy fats does not become body fat. However carbs does automatically get converted to storage which will become body fat if you don't exercise to use it.

#2 Over drinking of water is very dangerous, that is the one that that cause people to become deficient in minerals and get dehydrated because of too much mineral and electrolyte loss. You can't just drink an energy drink to replenish many types of minerals that can only be absorbed with the proper compound. There's no such thing as potassium replenish drink. Very dangerous to over drink water. I drink no more than 4-5 cups of water.

#3 It's true there's no one size fit all diet, however the fundamental properties of weight gains applies to all. Body fat is storage of glycogen which comes from excess carbs or protein. However everyone has a different metabolic state that allows them to burn through the glycogen stores. If you're an athlete, you burn those stores actively. If you live a very sedentary life you're not gonna need so much energy so the body automatically converts every unused glycogen into body fat.

The bottomline is the old understanding of weight gain is flawed. You're not supposed to eat 3-5 small meals. You're supposed to eat less no more than 2 meals a day. The more you space your meals apart the more time your body can process digestion better and not constantly be ready to process so much food intake. That's the biggest mistake people do is eating too much throughout the day.

I only eat one meal a day and no need for breakfast or lunch. It's very doable when you understand what creates hunger.
Wow that is a whole lot of strange and not accurate advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss