Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,548 times

Advertisements

After having lost 25 lbs so far since this past April with daily exercise of 11 miles daily walks, weekend hikings, morning runs, weight training, caloric deficit, healthy eating, carefully watching my sugar and sodium intake, drinking plenty of water, no alcohol or liquors ever!! avoiding junk foods, fast food take outs, and even avoiding dining out; unfortunately its being almost a month since my weight loss came to a complete halt.

Yes, I was told I may have hit a plateau!? but I've being through them before, and had sucessfully break them by increasing my exercise, and even having a stricter caloric deficit! however last night I got on the weight scale, and my weight has not moved down one ounce! what gives?? I am not overweight, just trying to look more fit!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 06:42 PM

26,223 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Eli, this doesn't make sense to me .... you say you aren't overweight, so why agonize over not losing more weight if you're not overweight?

When I was in the midst of losing weight I'd have a plateau period but if I needed to lose more weight then by sticking to my diet and exercise the weight loss would resume.

Don't cut your calories too low or you body will go into "famine mode" where it thinks a famine is upon the land and then it will not burn off any more fat no matter what you do. It's how people survive starvation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:36 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
A true plateau can take a while to pass. Things you can do - eat a bit more, sometimes the body needs the extra calories. Or eat a bit less - because the number one thing you have to look at honestly, is how many calories you really are consuming. Log everything you eat and you will het a better idea which of the above may be the problem.
Since you are close or at your ideal weight you may have to do a lot more to lose a little. Your answer probably lies with exercise.

Intensify your exercise. HIIT workouts are really good for amping up calorie burn. Lift heavier. Challenge your body.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:14 AM

Thank you Mike and Lucky for the prompt and kind replies! perhaps I am taking this weight loss thing with way too much expectations!? I am a healthy 57 yr old male, 5'10' tall, medium bone built, and currently at 165 lbs. I was 190 lbs back on April 1, 2020. Yes, I am pretty much happy with my current weight, but I was just wondering why I can't seem to loose more weight when I am still burning calories every single day by exercising, along with a clean and healthy eating!? Perhaps my body have already reached its weight comfort level? I just want to look even more lean and fit. Maybe I should lessen my cardio, and concentrate more on weight lifting!? muscle toning!!!!thank you kindly

Old 08-20-2020, 05:32 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,426,800 times
For your height and bone structure you shouldn't be trying to lose any weight at all. Your weight is appropriate for you. Your body is probably trying to tell you that.

Also, you have probably replaced some of your fat with muscle mass. If you put fat in a 2-ounce container, and muscle in another 2 ounce container, the one with the muscle will weigh more.

That means you're getting stronger and more muscular, and less fat.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:37 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,558,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaneli View Post
Yes, I was told I may have hit a plateau!? but I've being through them before, and had sucessfully break them by increasing my exercise, and even having a stricter caloric deficit! however last night I got on the weight scale, and my weight has not moved down one ounce! what gives?? I am not overweight, just trying to look more fit!!
It is called adaptive thermogenesis. Your body realizes that you have been getting less for a while and it slows your metabolism. This is why all diets fail. Literally your thyroid will drop and your metabolism will drop.

The people who say this doesn't happen simply either haven't gotten to this point yet... or are liars. But it will happen.

See "The Biggest Loser"

The was a study in Australia that looked at people who took breaks in dieting. It is called the MATADOR study. At around 2 week they all showed drops in metabolic rate. So 1/2 the group was put on a diet where they dieted for 2 weeks and ate at maintenance for two weeks. The other group, just dieting the entire time. The result? Much more weight loss for the group that took breaks and they kept it off.

The diet industry has been wrong for generations.

What you should do now is eat more. Go slowly so you won't gain quickly. Eat food that is high in volume and low in calories -- expanding the stomach sends signals to your brain via the vagus nerve that you are getting enough food. And after about 8 weeks or so... start back.

Last edited by Arya Stark; 08-20-2020 at 06:21 AM..

Old 08-20-2020, 05:36 PM

26,223 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Eli: I did a weight loss effort in the late 1980s, going from 220 to 155 and it turned out the 155 was too low, I looked gaunt. I was 5'9" tall at the time. Turns out that 165 or so was the ideal weight for me.

You are a "57 yr old male, 5'10' tall, medium bone built, and currently at 165 lbs" and are finished with the weight loss part of this journey, that's spot on perfect. Just work for muscle tone, strength and endurance.

If your heart will stand the stress, consider doing what I did, high impact / high intensity aerobics classes. Best exercise ever as I hate running. I did aerobics in a room full of pretty women in spandex as we moved and exercised to good music. Classes are usually an hour long. We had one class on Saturday mornings where we did this for 90 minutes and it was a fun linking shoulders and doing the Rockette kicks.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:43 AM

Thank You Mike! like you this is not the first time I successfully lost that much weight in the past. 157 lbs is the lowest I've being when trying to lose weight, and that was about 10 yrs ago! and yes I did looked very thin and even was rummored by many that I must be sick!? I wasn't. This time around my goal was to be at 150 lbs, but so far it seems impossible, even if I am doing everything right.

For instance, if I go below 162 lbs, and take a rest day, the following day my weight always goes back to 165 lbs!? weird isn't it!? I take this is due to leg, hip, and chest lean muscle growth!? my legs, hips, and chest are the leanest and tighest parts of my body. Every where else feels and looks like baby soft skin! perhaps I should concentrate more on weight training for overall muscle toning? but I have a passion for hiking and long walks; it feels so good aferwards!!

Old 08-21-2020, 11:27 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Quote:
After having lost 25 lbs so far since this past April with daily exercise of 11 miles daily walks, weekend hikings, morning runs, weight training, caloric deficit, healthy eating, carefully watching my sugar and sodium intake, drinking plenty of water, no alcohol or liquors ever!! avoiding junk foods, fast food take outs, and even avoiding dining out; unfortunately its being almost a month since my weight loss came to a complete halt.

Really doesn't make sense. You don't want to lose weight but want to look more fit by losing weight?

I mean, what's you're end goal in "look more fit"? If you want to look like a bodybuilder, you're doing a lot of stuff that isn't particularly useful for that like walking 11 miles every day on top of running in the morning and hiking on weekends. I mean, if you enjoy that sort of thing it's fine but if you're just doing it to look like a bodybuilder it's not helpful. Spend more time lifting weights and eat more. The extreme bulk and cut cycles are out of favor, particularly for people who are doing it without steroids and EC stacks, but bodybuilders still cycle even if they're not using steroids and EC stacks because it works.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:09 PM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Thank You Mike! like you this is not the first time I successfully lost that much weight in the past. 157 lbs is the lowest I've being when trying to lose weight, and that was about 10 yrs ago! and yes I did looked very thin and even was rummored by many that I must be sick!? I wasn't. This time around my goal was to be at 150 lbs, but so far it seems impossible, even if I am doing everything right.

For instance, if I go below 162 lbs, and take a rest day, the following day my weight always goes back to 165 lbs!? weird isn't it!? I take this is due to leg, hip, and chest lean muscle growth!? my legs, hips, and chest are the leanest and tighest parts of my body. Every where else feels and looks like baby soft skin! perhaps I should concentrate more on weight training for overall muscle toning? but I have a passion for hiking and long walks; it feels so good aferwards!!
No, not really. If your "rest day" involved a higher carb count, for example, your subsequent weight gain is probably water weight.

I was ready to give you suggestions for further weight loss, when I saw your thread title, but after reading your OP & people's responses, I agree; no further weight loss necessary. Otherwise, people are going to think you have body dysmorphia, and are a compulsive dieter.

Relax. Enjoy. Keep the lost weight off; that should be your current focus. Don't obsess.

And. congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss