Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 08:14 PM

749 posts, read 486,112 times

Advertisements

Sometimes you put in so much work and you want people to congratulate you. There was once a time where I was doing a lot of fasting and multiple hours of cardio a day. I had lost 40 pounds in 2 months. Some people really noticed and gave me compliments. It's funny because sometimes people didn't notice the first time they saw me but then the next time noticed.

Then there's other people who didn't notice at all. And when you show them the before and after pictures, they suggest you were never as big as the before photo. It's astonishing.

So you have several different categories of people. Some notice. Some notice but don't say anything. Some don't notice at all. Those are the frustrating ones. And then you have some that are wondering why you didn't notice or say anything about their weight loss. That does happen sometimes. Someone looks different and it never occurred to you that it was the weight loss. Then you feel stupid for not noticing.

Right now I've gotten in pretty good shape. Over 100 miles a week bike riding, but I don't have weights. I ordered equipment for next month. But because I don't see anyone cuz of the pandemic, no compliments. And also, I look the same with my baggy clothes. So unless I get some tighter clothes, it's not gonna be that noticeable.

Anyways, I wish I could work hard without needing the approval of others. Always wondering what they're thinking. I always tell myself stop caring about the others but then a part of me wants approval. One of my friends told me he's happy for me if I'm happy but doesn't care about my weight because he has his own weight to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 10:53 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,181,398 times
Depends. 40 lbs lopped off my big self isn't much to remark about. Wish I were joking. Hundred pounds, yeah they'll notice. I figure 150 should about do it and bring me to normal weight. We'll see, that's pie in the sky at the moment...see other thread (bariatric post-op).

Losing 40 lbs organically is a feat, don't get me wrong, and yes it's hellacious work as every man, woman, and child on this part of C-D will agree who's tried, much less pulled it off. When I'd done so in the past, when just big vs. morbidly so, people would sometimes comment positively. It's nice, must agree. Most didn't care. I sure did, though.

Well, keeping it PG-13, those you sleep with will notice. Good (female) friend of mine once had a boyfriend (also a friend of mine) who said, "the purpose of weight loss is to look good nekkid!" There's a certain rough wisdom to that, I'd say.

Guessing you're doing everything right, or most of it, per comments. And some need the approval of others, I wouldn't excuse yourself for being human. I dare say "most" of us appreciate it.

Your last line is interesting, there's a sort of Zen to it: "Happy if you're happy, but doesn't care or judge because he has his own deal to worry about." That describes most people, most of the time. Some can be judge-y, true, but most have their own problems and won't dwell too long on your situation, either. Once again, simply goes to human nature.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:18 PM

749 posts, read 486,112 times
Many years ago. Even when I had washboard abs and got down to 156 pounds, some people didn’t notice. And other times when I bulked up and had big chest and arms some people didn’t notice and would ask me if I got a haircut instead. So sometimes I’d wear tight shirts to get compliments and sometimes they say you were always like that.

But on the flip side when I fell off and gained 50 pounds of fat, some people said I look buff and asked if I was on steroids.

But now I’m slimming down and last year I couldn’t fit in double XL. Now I’m wearing only a large to x large and have no belly sticking out but people don’t notice.

So I need to learn how to not care what people say. But I have become self conscious. And so when you obsess about this, it can deflate you.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:28 PM

22,689 posts, read 24,707,579 times
If it is a pattern of yoyo weight-gain/loss..............yeah, kinda embarrassing, would rather nobody notice.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:56 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
This made me laugh, because a number of years ago, a man I'd worked with who'd gone to work at another location came back after several months to visit in our office.

I saw him and said, "Hey, Al. You look different. You shaved off your mustache!"

He said, "I didn't have a mustache."

I said, "Oh, OK, well, you did something different. Got a different haircut, maybe?"

He said, "I lost 35 pounds."

I felt pretty stupid, but I guess it was the difference in his face that I noticed first.

I have lost 25 pounds since March. Only now are people who see me regularly starting to notice, but earlier this month, I saw my daughter for the first time since January. She came to visit me for a few days. SHE noticed the difference immediately.

I did go down one size, but unfortunately, 25 pounds doesn't show on an overly tall person like me as quickly as it does on a petite woman. That's OK, though. I'm not doing this for anyone else, but for my health.

Working on the next 25 now.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:46 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,293,427 times
It's usually the people who haven't seen you in a while that notice.
Yesterday a gal in my car club told me that an egg salad sandwich has more meat on it than I do.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:03 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,417,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Sometimes you put in so much work and you want people to congratulate you.
For me, never.

It is very personal to me. It is like your dirty little secret is out in the World that you have to work on your body. Your dirty little secret that you overeat.

I would rather not anyone comment on my progress.

I lost 80 pounds eight years ago. I dreaded the comments as I was losing the weight. Now at work, hardly anyone knows I was overweight. And the people that do know, have long forgotten.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:50 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
For me, never.

It is very personal to me. It is like your dirty little secret is out in the World that you have to work on your body. Your dirty little secret that you overeat.

I would rather not anyone comment on my progress.

I lost 80 pounds eight years ago. I dreaded the comments as I was losing the weight. Now at work, hardly anyone knows I was overweight. And the people that do know, have long forgotten.
That is so true! I have a close friend I met at work when she weighed about 100 pounds more than she does now. She married for the first time when she was heavy, and during that marriage she lost the excess weight, realized her husband was a jerk and she deserved better, and divorced him. She has kept the weight off.

Recently I was cleaning out some old boxes and came across a picture of us at that first wedding. I was startled for a moment to see how heavy she once was. I haven't thought of her looking that way in 15 years or more. There are likely many people out there who have no idea that she was once heavy.

On the other hand...I was once so skinny that my collarbone and ribs and hipbones stuck out. Nobody remembers me that way, either.

I'm down 26, and people are just now starting to remark on it. It's come off slowly, over six months, so that's fine with me if no one notices. I will just continue to shrink gradually.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:08 AM

29,780 posts, read 34,541,361 times
And often people will lose weight for negative reasons--they've been very ill, or depressed, or grieving. Telling them, "you look great!" isn't really helping, because they feel like garbage. And the flip side, is sometimes people will put on weight for positive reasons--their medication is balanced, or they're just enjoying life. Doesn't mean they've let themselves go, whatever that means.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:08 PM

1,013 posts, read 732,055 times
A family member lost a lot of weight and wondered why not everyone was saying something to her. A year later, she had regained it all. I’ve lost 35+ lbs. and don’t care if anyone notices or says anything. It’s for my health and I’m determined not to put it back on. My doctor noticed and was pleased. That means a lot.

I try to be careful saying anything about anyone’s weight. Most things aren’t my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss