Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 08:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Exactly, it's not the sugar itself that causes you to pig out, it's the fact that there is no fiber and these foods are high in processed carbs and fats. Something that you repeatedly fail to mention. There is not one study in existence that shows humans are addicted to HFCS or sugar. If we were addicted to just sugar we would bebuying huge bags of sugar and eating it straight from the bag. Again, look at a glazed donut. 53% of the calories come from processed carbs and over 40% come from processed fats.
Your facts are so out of line that any nutritionist and doctors would wholeheartedly disagree. There is nothing good about sugar. It is as bad as alcohol because the body treats it as a toxin. It immediately has an inflammation response and insulin is immediately activated. So how is that any good? I'm so tired of seeing your profoundly untrue posts.

Sugar has no use by the body at all, fructose sugar in all fruits and veg are immediately picked up and stored.

Trans-fats are bad because they causes plague on your arteries it has nothing to do with healthy fats. People in America does not eat enough mono-saturated healthy fats which you consistently ignored and labeled as bad.

You cannot gain weight and become obese by consuming large quantities of mono-saturated fats because the body doesn't have a storage mechanism for them.

Your whole diet philosophy is so out of touch with health science today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 08:16 AM

5,143 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
A lady I know at work did Keto early in 2020. She did a tremendous job and lost close to 70lbs. She swore that Keto was the best diet in the world and she would eat Keto forever. Yada, yada, yada...

Then Covid-19 struck and our office was closed. Everyone was allowed to work at home from March through October. Somewhere during the shutdown she stopped following the Keto diet. When we were finally allowed to return to work in mid-October, I was shocked. This lady had blown up like the Hindenburg. She gained back all 70lbs along with an extra 20 or 30lbs.

She's no longer an evangelist for Keto.
She was on a “diet” and didn’t make a lifestyle change. No different than a smoker who quits for six months and then starts back again at two packs a day. Following a low-carb lifestyle, my experience was significant weight loss and the pounds have stayed off. When I meet relatives who haven’t seen me in five years they are quick to compliment me and then they ask the inevitable “How did you do it?”. I’ve learned that it’s best to offer up some quickie like “stopped eating bread” or similar lie because 1) they really don’t care about the whys, and 2) they are never going to change their lifestyle eating habits due to something I tell them.

Last edited by TimAZ; 11-18-2020 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-18-2020, 09:07 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
She was on a “diet” and didn’t make a lifestyle change. No different than a smoker who quits for six months and then starts back again at two packs a day. Following a low-carb lifestyle, my experience was significant weight loss and the pounds have stayed off. When I meet relatives who haven’t seem me in five years they are quick to compliment me and then they ask the inevitable “How did you do it?”. I’ve learned that it’s best to offer up some quickie like “stopped eating bread” or similar lie because 1) they really don’t care about the whys, and 2) they are never going to change their lifestyle eating habits due to something I tell them.
You are under the assumption because something worked for you it will work for everyone. Not so.
I lost weight and kept it off and I ate bread! I did WW and ate from ALL the food groups.
The foods I do avoid are prepackaged, frozen meals, fast food, junks food. The less ingredients the better. But I wont say no to a slice of fresh sour dough bread dipped in olive oil. Or a slice whole grain wheat bread with avocado or peanut butter on it.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You are under the assumption because something worked for you it will work for everyone. Not so.
I lost weight and kept it off and I ate bread! I did WW and ate from ALL the food groups.
The foods I do avoid are prepackaged, frozen meals, fast food, junks food. The less ingredients the better. But I wont say no to a slice of fresh sour dough bread dipped in olive oil. Or a slice whole grain wheat bread with avocado or peanut butter on it.
Isn’t Weight Watchers a lifestyle program? Thanks for confirming my observation about permanent weight loss.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Isn’t Weight Watchers a lifestyle program? Thanks for confirming my observation about permanent weight loss.
It is. But WW doesn't eliminate food groups. My point is that eliminating a food group is difficult in the long run for a lot of people. I am also not going to say that the way I lost weight is the way for everyone. I support anyway that someone chooses what works for them. My beef is when people preach about what works for them as the best way to lose weight. And if they fail on it they didn't try hard enough. That is really counterproductive.
I am happy that your way works for you. Stick with it. Just understand its not for everyone.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:37 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Your facts are so out of line that any nutritionist and doctors would wholeheartedly disagree. There is nothing good about sugar. It is as bad as alcohol because the body treats it as a toxin. It immediately has an inflammation response and insulin is immediately activated. So how is that any good? I'm so tired of seeing your profoundly untrue posts.

Sugar has no use by the body at all, fructose sugar in all fruits and veg are immediately picked up and stored.

Trans-fats are bad because they causes plague on your arteries it has nothing to do with healthy fats. People in America does not eat enough mono-saturated healthy fats which you consistently ignored and labeled as bad.

You cannot gain weight and become obese by consuming large quantities of mono-saturated fats because the body doesn't have a storage mechanism for them.

Your whole diet philosophy is so out of touch with health science today.
More strawman arguments from you. I never said anything about sugar being good for you. Inflammation is caused by high calories, not any one specific macronutrient.

It doesn't matter what you are consuming. If you are consuming more calories than you are burning ie. caloric surplus, you will gain weight. This is simple thermodynamic law.

My diet philosophy is strictly based on evidence from the multitude of studies that have been done on nutrition. Your diet philosophy is strictly anecdotal because I have not seen you once reference any evidence to all of your false claims.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:06 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Dietitians and doctors are an Industry.

Many of them have an awful track record - for decades.

A diet depends on the individual.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

A relative of ours, obese, diabetic (blood sugar >600) was admitted to a hospital. The fed him pasta, mashed potatoes, corn and bread for his meals. I asked a nurse about this, why wasn’t he getting a diabetic menu? She said he was getting the standard diabetic menu that the hospital nutritionist approved.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:14 AM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

You can use medicine and science for data points about what may or may not be a more healthful diet. That really doesn't matter if there's no compliance.

Take bariatric surgery. You could just follow the diet laid out for someone who has bariatric surgery and lose weight just as quickly without the expense and drawbacks of surgery. That's not intended to be the best way to lose weight. It's more of a last resort for people who can't comply with far more sensible options. Point being you can get some excellent advise from nutritionists. Most of them offer solid advise which most people who seek their advise will proceed to ignore. That doesn't make the advise any less good.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:27 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I think we are all on a continuum. Some of us can have more carbs, some do better with fewer carbs, etc. The problem is trying to figure out what works for you.

I suspect our weight, and out health, is based on a combination of calories and hormones and genetics...you get the idea.

I think sugar is addictive. I have sat through so many weight loss meetings/coaching sessions and whenever they mention getting rid of sugary treats, no one wants to hear it. People insist they can have their sugar and their health, too. Is that coming from a person trying to be healthy? Or an addict afraid of losing their fix?

I also think that there is something particularly nefarious when fat is combined with sugar. I do not know anyone who would eat a spoonful of sugar, one after the other, but add some cream cheese and now you have some finger-licking, bowl-scraping frosting. Nor do I know anyone who would eat sticks of butter, but if you put the butter on some bread? Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss