Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 06:11 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times

Advertisements

Source:
https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/2020...verall-of-2020

Jan. 2, 2020 -- For the third year in a row, the Mediterranean diet has been named the best diet overall in the U.S. News & World Report annual rankings.

In 2018, the Mediterranean diet shared top honors with the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet. Both focus on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The ketogenic diet, one of the most popular, again fared well in the annual survey, but only in the fast weight loss category. Overall, it was not rated highly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 07:55 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
In 2018, the Mediterranean diet shared top honors with the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet. Both focus on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The ketogenic diet, one of the most popular, again fared well in the annual survey, but only in the fast weight loss category. Overall, it was not rated highly.
Obviously, it will make you healthy and you won't have a need for doctors and nutritonists... so they aren't going to rate it highly.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:04 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Depends on the person........the concept of a blanket rating for any diet does not make sense to me.

Some people do great on a very low-fat/high-carb diet.....others do horribly. Ditto that for just about every way of eating under the sun.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:19 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I won't speak to the Keto diet specifically. My comment is on the ranking as Mediterranean being best and Keto being worst. This could be, I don't know. My comment is about Physicians.

Many of us no longer trust the AMA or their brainwashed physicians to know the truth or to tell us the truth when they know it. They told us carbs were good for so long and that carbs were the foundation of the food pyramid for so long, many of us no longer trust them.

So when they tell us that you MUST eat a low fat diet, many of us no longer believe them. When they tell us you MUST eat a low cholesterol diet, many of us no longer believe them.

I have an excellent primary doctor, but I am at war with him over Statin drugs. He swears by them as massively effective to avoid heart disease and perfectly safe. As a laymen, I can't dispute his AMA pushed views, but I do research on the internet, and have found Statin drugs are massively controversial right now, both regarding effectiveness in people who don't have heart disease, and regarding safety via side effects such as muscle weakness and memory loss.

So my doctor is telling me statins are safe and effective -- THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED, NOBODY DISPUTES THIS -- and then I find 100 youtube videos of real doctors and real PhD scientists disputing this.

And then I see videos like these.

What am I to think? Who do I trust?

At this point I am more likely to turn to other sources regarding the best diet rather than health car professionals brainwashed by schools and pummelled by the AMA.

Again, I am not saying Keto good, Mediterranean bad. I am just shooting the messenger. I don't trust the doctors anymore. They seem to be bringing up the rear. And the kicker is, they may be perfectly right. It is just they have lost my automatic trust and they are going to have to earn that back.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 10-15-2020 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-16-2020, 08:45 AM

307 posts, read 255,329 times
I think a big problem here is that Keto can be hard to follow indefinitely..it's a great tool for initial weight loss but it's hard to sustain that way of eating forever. I do great on a lower carb diet but others i know don't need to do that. I don't' eat keto or anything but I also don't typically go over 60-70 grams of carbs a day.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
I think a big problem here is that Keto can be hard to follow indefinitely..it's a great tool for initial weight loss but it's hard to sustain that way of eating forever. I do great on a lower carb diet but others i know don't need to do that. I don't' eat keto or anything but I also don't typically go over 60-70 grams of carbs a day.
I believe that is the reason it does not rank higher. Its an incredibly hard way to eat indefinitely.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:49 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
At that point it's just Atkins though, which is decidedly not trendy or cool for those who need the bandwagon.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:06 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

I have an excellent primary doctor, but I am at war with him over Statin drugs. He swears by them as massively effective to avoid heart disease and perfectly safe. As a laymen, I can't dispute his AMA pushed views, but I do research on the internet, and have found Statin drugs are massively controversial right now, both regarding effectiveness in people who don't have heart disease, and regarding safety via side effects such as muscle weakness and memory loss.
I'd ask for the studies showing numbers needed to treat to prevent one heart attack (it's something like 100, IIRC) and how much longer you'll live on them (a couple of days, on average, again IIRC).

Cholesterol makes up much of your brain, helps with healing, and it's a precursor to other hormones. High cholesterol, in some cases, indicates a problem: if your body is making lots of it, there's a reason.

Dr. Malcolm Kendrick has looked into statin drugs as much as anyone I know of and Dr. William Davis is a former cardiologist who has a program that helped turn my health around. I don't get any consideration for sending people their way.

But back to the topic, you only have to take a look at most doctors and dietitians to see that whatever diet they follow isn't working.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:44 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I'd ask for the studies showing numbers needed to treat to prevent one heart attack (it's something like 100, IIRC) and how much longer you'll live on them (a couple of days, on average, again IIRC).

Cholesterol makes up much of your brain, helps with healing, and it's a precursor to other hormones. High cholesterol, in some cases, indicates a problem: if your body is making lots of it, there's a reason.

Dr. Malcolm Kendrick has looked into statin drugs as much as anyone I know of and Dr. William Davis is a former cardiologist who has a program that helped turn my health around. I don't get any consideration for sending people their way.

But back to the topic, you only have to take a look at most doctors and dietitians to see that whatever diet they follow isn't working.
Thanks for the recommendation for Dr. Malcolm Kendrick. I just downloaded his latest book, "A Statin Nation" and reading it now. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:00 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I have done a diet somewhere between keto atkins (too low protein for atkins, too low in fat for keto) for 2 years nowand I've never been healther...I'm in my 50s. I have followed pretty much any meal plan you can think of (weight watchers/slim fast/medi-fast, low fat, counting calories, etc).

Basically, I do not eat processed food or sugar. No white flour. Typically, I'm eating eggs, nuts, olive oil, avocados, lots of non-starchy veggies, meat, seafood, and my "sweets" are berries and melons. I may go off for special occasions, but I end up feeling terrible and regret it.

I do drink alcohol, but it's a vodka and soda or a glass of a wine.

I think most eating plans require you to think about food too much, whether it be counting calories, fat, points, etc. And that makes me hungry.

I also think that the processed stuff, especially sugar, is addictive. I think most people would love to still eat junk and be healthy. It isn't until you realize that it's not possible that you get healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss