Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,778 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I never enjoyed eating meat ever since I was a child, so a couple years ago I decided to transition to vegan. So far I've cut out beef, pork, dairy milk and eggs but still eat chicken since it's easy
But even with just those cuts, it didn't take long to see positive results in my skin (which is SO much clearer now) and overall mood in general.
I'm new to these forums and was wondering what dietary restrictions to people here prefer and why?
Feel free to detail your experiences, whether that's keto, vegan, carnivorous, etc. I'm curious!

- Liney~ <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 01:33 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,074 times
uhh the one that works for you.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,778 times
Bahah well of course. I'm curious to hear other perspectives though.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:03 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Low carb for 8 weeks, lost 8-10 pounds and am not jonesing for carbs. Was hoping to lose another 5 or 10, but not sure I'll get there without changing something. I'm getting little exercise so hopefully when it warms up and I start serious biking again that will do the trick.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:21 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
uhh the one that works for you.
I have to agree with this. There is no "vegan", no "keto", no other "-ism" when it comes to diet or anything else.

There is only one diet, the one that works for the particular individual. Period.

For me that is mostly whole grain carbohydrates - homemade rye and other grains bread, pasta, rice, some potatoes - and lots of vegetables, herbs and spices, nuts, and fruits, little or no processed "food", especially processed sugar, to be avoided like the plague.

I do eat once in a while salmon & scallops, also chicken, even ground beef if other household members, namely children, leave it over and it's sitting in the fridge for several days so as not to waste it (I'm a weirdo, I hate waste). Little or no dairy, including eggs.

In the past, I ate three meals a day, for several years I cut it to twice a day, and lately just once a day.

Everyday I do stretching exercises, and I try to walk at least a mile a day, sometimes two. No need for any special equipment, the body does the body by itself.

I am in the middle of the "normal" range of the BMI index for my weight and height and slowly drifting towards the bottom part of the range.

My motto is, eat as little as possible the highest quality foods possible.

Another trustworthy saying: less is more.

No complaints.

To be sure, today I could die of heart-attack or accident, in a couple of weeks of pneumonia, and maybe in a couple of years of prostate cancer. Who knows?

One cycle of breath at a time.

No complaints.

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2021, 06:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertotstaken View Post
Hi all

I never enjoyed eating meat ever since I was a child, so a couple years ago I decided to transition to vegan. So far I've cut out beef, pork, dairy milk and eggs but still eat chicken since it's easy
But even with just those cuts, it didn't take long to see positive results in my skin (which is SO much clearer now) and overall mood in general.
I'm new to these forums and was wondering what dietary restrictions to people here prefer and why?
Feel free to detail your experiences, whether that's keto, vegan, carnivorous, etc. I'm curious!

- Liney~ <3
But the question really is, are you eating a healthy nutrient dense diet? I don't care what it this diet is but are you getting the nutrients you need? Majority of vegans I see are not real vegans they are just grain eaters eating mostly grains and not plants. Eating a lot of grains and not much plants is not a good diet plan.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:55 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
if you eat chicken you cannot consider yourself a vegan. Many vegans will agree. I am not one. do you like fish that's very healthy for you. do what ever works for you there is not one plan that is the best because they all work differently for everyone.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:57 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
This is a good article for those hoping to lose weight... limit sugar, alcohol, and fructose consumption (including too much fruit or eat the fruit around when you do your cardio) Basically if you eliminate hot pockets, pizza, ice cream, fast food, cake, pie, etc... you will significantly increase your overall health. Stick to lean meats, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, some fruit... common sense stuff. I disagree with the author of "how not to die" that you should binge on fruit and eat lots of things like dates though. Pure sugar. High in fructose. No agave either. Honey... in moderation.. not tablespoons per day. Same with maple syrup and other "natural" sweeteners.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3649103/

"What do the Atkins Diet and the traditional Japanese diet have in common? The Atkins Diet is low in carbohydrate and usually high in fat; the Japanese diet is high in carbohydrate and usually low in fat. Yet both work to promote weight loss. One commonality of both diets is that they both eliminate the monosaccharide fructose. Sucrose (table sugar) and its synthetic sister high fructose corn syrup consist of 2 molecules, glucose and fructose. Glucose is the molecule that when polymerized forms starch, which has a high glycemic index, generates an insulin response, and is not particularly sweet. Fructose is found in fruit, does not generate an insulin response, and is very sweet. Fructose consumption has increased worldwide, paralleling the obesity and chronic metabolic disease pandemic. Sugar (i.e., fructose-containing mixtures) has been vilified by nutritionists for ages as a source of “empty calories,” no different from any other empty calorie. However, fructose is unlike glucose.

In the hypercaloric glycogen-replete state, intermediary metabolites from fructose metabolism overwhelm hepatic mitochondrial capacity, which promotes de novo lipogenesis and leads to hepatic insulin resistance, which drives chronic metabolic disease. Fructose also promotes reactive oxygen species formation, which leads to cellular dysfunction and aging, and promotes changes in the brain’s reward system, which drives excessive consumption. Thus, fructose can exert detrimental health effects beyond its calories and in ways that mimic those of ethanol, its metabolic cousin. Indeed, the only distinction is that because fructose is not metabolized in the central nervous system, it does not exert the acute neuronal depression experienced by those imbibing ethanol. These metabolic and hedonic analogies argue that fructose should be thought of as “alcohol without the buzz.”"

Last edited by sholomar; 02-08-2021 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-02-2021, 10:24 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Ive lost 31 lbs in 3 months with CICO and I think that works best.

But it doesnt matter what I think works best. Vision thinks Keto works best. Others thing Carnivore works best. Others think that Vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian works best.

There is no one thing that works best.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Ive lost 31 lbs in 3 months with CICO and I think that works best.

But it doesnt matter what I think works best. Vision thinks Keto works best. Others thing Carnivore works best. Others think that Vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian works best.

There is no one thing that works best.
Keto is not just a diet, it's changing your body's fuel source from carb to fat. It is the only way to burn fat the quickest. You don't need to eat foods to be on keto. You can simply fast or exercise to get your body into ketosis, eating certain foods accelerates ketosis. You can be on vegan or carnivore diet and get into ketosis which is using bodyfat as fuel. So regardless of which diet plan you pick, the mechanism of body fat burning to energy is ketosis.

So you are misinformed like that luckydog person that thinks keto is only a diet. I want to accelerate fat burning so I want to induce ketosis by fasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss