Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 10:46 PM

575 posts, read 336,677 times

Advertisements

The weather removed the natural accelerant - temperature, few days ago. Walking 3-4 hours outside at -20F burns significantly more calories than at +60F.
It's not going to be this cold again for at least 10 months.

I have added 250 calories per day and should now hover under 1,750. Though today I only ate once, for sure under 1,000. Admittedly, I got real dizzy each time I stood up, especially in afternoon, 20 hours since last meal...

This manages the hunger much better. I doubt I will now loose 10 pounds in 10 weeks, but will see.
I wonder what is my current metabolic rate, after 5 months of dieting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 05:54 PM

Wow, it is incredible how much it reduces the hunger-adding 250 cal to a day.

It's like I added too much! I now have earlier breakfast and barely get hungry for lunch and often not at all hungry for dinner. Truly an unexpected WTF!

I only weigh once a week but I just got proof in a different form. I took pants that suddenly became loose and I will have to start using belt. 3 weeks ago, they were really tight.

So, the 3-hour walking really is working for me :-)

Old 03-10-2021, 11:02 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,818,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Stop micromanaging and start over from scratch. Look at the FACTS:

You were obese. You "went on a diet" and lost weight, then stopped being "on a diet" because people who lose the weight they wanted to lose when they're "on a diet," get off those diets. And you gained weight again.

Obviously, dieting doesn't work. If it worked, you'd never gain weight after going off your diet.

You need to learn "how to eat," not "how to diet." Change your entire perspective. Turn it completely upside down. Your thinking is backward and inefficient.

Learn how to eat. Learn how to exercise. Learn how to eat foods that are GOOD for you, learn how to enjoy coming up with new recipes. Learn how to ENJOY healthy, life-sustaining food, so that you never feel you need to "go off your diet" again.
I completly agree with this.

The whole focus on weight loss is wrong. If you actually meet your goal, you just go back to the bad food habits that made you overweight in the first place.

The focus shold be on eating a plant based diet with minimal meat, modest or no alcohol consumption, and minimal processed foods.

The Mediterranean Diet is generally good tasting and healthy. So look up some recipes (that aren't too heavy on the pasta) and start making them.

Also, pretty much all the science is also coming out in favor of some kind of periodic fasting. It has all kinds of health benefits.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The whole focus on weight loss is wrong. If you actually meet your goal, you just go back to the bad food habits that made you overweight in the first place.
That's actually impossible even if I wanted that.

The whole reason why I was overweight since age 4 is that my mother overfed me and forced me to always eat more than I wanted or suffer the punishment.
I never liked the punishment, so I ate always a bit more than needed to shut the b*tch up.

Thankfully, she's been dead over a decade now, not to mention I live on a different continent.

So, you see, it's impossible.

When I stop dieting I will revert to my previous diet of last few years:
- oatmeal
- lots of veggies
- minimum complex carbs
- 2-3 hours of walking

Old 03-11-2021, 10:00 AM

3,334 posts, read 2,299,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post

The whole reason why I was overweight since age 4 is that my mother overfed me and forced me to always eat more than I wanted or suffer the punishment.
I never liked the punishment, so I ate always a bit more than needed to shut the b*tch up.

Thankfully, she's been dead over a decade now, not to mention I live on a different continent.

- oatmeal
- lots of veggies
- minimum complex carbs
- 2-3 hours of walking
And that caused you to gain enough weight that you now feel you need to go on a diet.

So, you see, you're making excuses for how you are NOW, by telling us how it was before you were a grown adult responsible for your choices. Stop doing that.

'lots of veggies" is meaningless if you're eating them with lots of butter or heavy sauces. Oatmeal's great if you only have a fistful of the stuff (after cooking) and don't add 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and half a cup of whole milk.

2-3 hours of walking is great if it's getting you at least 10 miles round trip. If it takes you 2-3 hours to go just 2-3 miles, then that's not exercise. That's going for a walk.

Minimum complex carbs means nothing in the scheme of "eating well." Carbs are important.

I stand by my opinon:

Stop trying to diet and learn how to eat.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,779,786 times
Quote:

- oatmeal
- lots of veggies
- minimum complex carbs

- 2-3 hours of walking
You just contradicted yourself. Vegetables are complex carbs.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 PM

@Ghaati: I do about 8-12 miles each day. Yesterday I had 7 miles in a single walk.

Learning how to eat properly is obviously most important. Unfortunately, with 100 people you get 100 different ideas on what's "proper".

I can see from few weeks in this subforum that certain people have certain specific agendas.

Which is ok. I don't expect people agreeing with what I do, I want feedback so I can learn.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You just contradicted yourself. Vegetables are complex carbs.
My bad. I meant that they are better/healthier carbs than carbs in pasta, which I am sure we can all agree on, right ?

Old 03-15-2021, 07:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,779,786 times
Quote:
My bad. I meant that they are better/healthier carbs than carbs in pasta, which I am sure we can all agree on, right ?
Sure we can agree although I love and eat pasta. I think the big miscommunication is that people tend to lump all carbs together. There are simple carbs and complex carbs.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:14 PM

3,334 posts, read 2,299,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Sure we can agree although I love and eat pasta. I think the big miscommunication is that people tend to lump all carbs together. There are simple carbs and complex carbs.
There's also the concept that "as long as you don't have an actual problem with gluten, such as celiac, it's OKAY to eat a slice of bread now and then."

People who "go on a diet" that involves eliminating foods that they enjoy eating, end up sabotaged and ultimately fail at some point down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss