Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2021, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 708 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with gout. I am 198 cm tall and quite big. To prevent gout attacks I need to lose some weight (currently I have 111 kgs). My new diet should be based on low fat dairy products, pastry, pasta, vegetables, fruit and small ammount of lean meat. I am affraid that i would have excessive intake of carbs and small ammount of total proteins intake (proteins from meat contains lots of purines). I would be really glad for any tips how to follow this diet and lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 11:54 AM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
My friend has gout. He avoids red meat and most shellfish and monitors his alcohol intake carefully. He had one vicious very painful attack (his big toe) and no more attacks since changing his diet...

He says it's not hard to do when facing that amount of pain again...

Google "best diet for gout" and do your best to follow the new way of eating.

You've got this!

Old 05-30-2021, 05:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ver View Post
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with gout. I am 198 cm tall and quite big. To prevent gout attacks I need to lose some weight (currently I have 111 kgs). My new diet should be based on low fat dairy products, pastry, pasta, vegetables, fruit and small ammount of lean meat. I am affraid that i would have excessive intake of carbs and small ammount of total proteins intake (proteins from meat contains lots of purines). I would be really glad for any tips how to follow this diet and lose weight.
I'll assume you've seen your doctor and discussed medications like allopurinol.

Recent research suggests that diet actually plays a smaller role in uric acid levels that previously thought. Also there is more than one way to skin a cat. The most important thing is to lose weight. One recent study (probably not replicated yet) found 3 different diets were beneficial:The Effects of a Low-Fat, Mediterranean, or Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Serum Urate. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33082244/

Conclusions: Nonpurine-focused weight loss diets may simultaneously improve SU and cardiovascular risk factors likely mediated by reducing adiposity and insulin resistance. These dietary options could provide personalized pathways to suit patient comorbidity and preferences for adherence.
----
I am a sample size of one, but since I went low-carb 6 months ago and lost 13-15 lbs I have had no gout attacks, which isnt that unusual because I only had them once in a while anyway. But the toe I used to have them in would often ache and I would feel like a gout attack was coming on, and that would happen not infrequently. I would take a prednisone or two and that usually stopped it. But this too has stopped, or at least hasn't happened lately. My gout toe feels better than ever. However my uric acid was its highest ever when I had a blood test in April. Go figure.

Anyway based on my experience I'd suggest low carbs diet, which is not what you listed above.

Pastry, really? Which doctor recommended pastry lol? I don't think so...

Old 05-31-2021, 08:35 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
OP, I would look on Youtube for Dr. Berry. He has a video on gout. His thoughts on it are very different to the norm, and I think it might be worth a look. I had my first gout attack two years ago. Due to other medications I'm on, I am not able to take allopurinol. Turns out it was a blessing. Following the diet Dr Berry advocates (keto), I've not had a gout attack since, and not on medication for it either.

Yeah I'm with Deserterer. The diet you are doing is a recipe for even more attacks in the future. Just my opinion. Good luck either way.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Oh and take Vitamin C, which has been shown to help reduce gout flares. You can decide how much for you, but I take 2000 mg/day. That might be another reason my gouty toe feels better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss