Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 03:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for a diet buddy, preferable of similar age & weight, to keep each other motivated and on track (via email -please DM me). Or posting my daily calorie intake and amount of exercise on this thread to keep me accountable and motivated (if that is allowed and is appropriate).

I am turning 69 and have been overweight for quite a few years. I am female, a widow who lives alone, 5'8", currently 218 pounds (down from 228 six weeks ago when I joined Noom). I now eat a well balanced diet of 1,200 calories (most days) and walk about one and a half miles a day (1 1/2 to 2 miles is my limit). I do have a number of health issues including rheumatoid arthritis (well controlled with medication) and orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure- also well controlled by medication. I am a stage IV cancer survivor (three and a half years in remission).

I gained about 25 pounds during the pandemic and 10 to 20 pounds during 2019 (more restaurant meals and desserts than usual due to traveling and visiting relatives). So, I really want to lose that weight. It would be wonderful if I lost more.

My current diet is
50 to 60% fresh fruits and vegetables, skim milk, tuna canned in water (called "green foods" eat freely, on Noom),
20 to 30% "yellow foods" (eat moderately) such as, chicken, turkey, low calorie salad dressing, eggs, kidney beans, low fat cheese,
10 to 20% "red foods" (eat sparingly) such as oil, full fat cheese, ground beef, catsup, mayo, pretzels, candy, cakes (but once every two weeks it is higher).
I drink 6 to 8 glasses of water each day and take a multi-vitamin, Vitamin D and Calcium (all gummies).

I find that some days it is quite difficulty to stick to the 1,200 calories a day but I usually manage it. On days that I overeat it is usually by only 100 or so calories.

Please help me be successful on this diet.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-24-2021 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 08:45 AM

OP here.
Weight today 27.8, Calories eaten yesterday 1300, Walked 2.5 miles

Old 02-26-2021, 07:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

My current diet is
50 to 60% fresh fruits and vegetables, skim milk, tuna canned in water (called "green foods" eat freely, on Noom),
20 to 30% "yellow foods" (eat moderately) such as, chicken, turkey, low calorie salad dressing, eggs, kidney beans, low fat cheese,
10 to 20% "red foods" (eat sparingly) such as oil, full fat cheese, ground beef, catsup, mayo, pretzels, candy, cakes (but once every two weeks it is higher).
I drink 6 to 8 glasses of water each day and take a multi-vitamin, Vitamin D and Calcium (all gummies).

I find that some days it is quite difficulty to stick to the 1,200 calories a day but I usually manage it. On days that I overeat it is usually by only 100 or so calories.

Please help me be successful on this diet.
You need to get rid of 3/4 of your food choices. They are all universally bad.

Never eat salad with any dressing, it's hidden calories that aren't calculated. Switch to extra virgin olive oil and vinegar.

Also eat wholesome foods no skim or low fat milk, the lactose content = sugar. Each up of milk has like 18g of sugar from the lactose. Daily in general should be avoided except for sour cream and cottage cheese.

Eat only whole some fats and foods.

Condiments like catsup should be replaced with only mustards and no mayo. All snacks should be avoided, eat no more than 2 meals a day.

Calorie counting doesn't work because people don't know there are hidden calories in foods and you will never fully keep tabs. Learn to focus on eating the right food groups.

Don't drink 6-8 classes of water, it dilutes your body of enzymes and minerals. I would drink about 4 cups at most a day unless I plan on running or exercise. All your vitamins and minerals get flushed out if you drink too much.

Focus on eating healthy plant proteins and fats. Skip breakfast and try pushing lunch to late afternoon and a sensible dinner with just a protein, salads, and no carbs at night. If you eat carbs it has to be something as low processed as possible. No flour.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:37 AM

Vision33r. Thank you for the suggestions.

OP here.
Weight today 218.4, Calories eaten yesterday 1200, Walked 1.5 miles (arthritis is starting to act up)

Old 02-26-2021, 10:47 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:

OP here.
Weight today 218.4, Calories eaten yesterday 1200, Walked 1.5 miles (arthritis is starting to act up)
Start cutting out gluten from your diet. It causes inflammation regardless you think you are sensitive or not. Another culprit is dairy, if you can get rid of lactose dairy. Start drinking apple cider vinegar to help reduce inflammation.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:48 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:

OP here.
Your diet is fine. You are doing fine. Vision has some weird ideas that I hope do not sway you to change.

Personally I think a diet or even workout buddy can work against you. Its fine if you are both on the same page at all times. However it can quickly devolve into making excuses to each other. You have the strength on your own to do this. Keep doing what you are doing - you seem to be on the right track.

Its very important to remember that what works for someone else may not work for you. Dieting is a lifestyle change so its important to find out what works for you - not someone else.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:29 PM

313 posts, read 255,603 times
Thanks for clearing up a little more on how Noom works-so there are different "colors" of foods and you can consume foods appropriately as directed according to their "color"?

Are any foods off-limits?

Also, does Noom decide your calorie range? 1200 seems super low.

I've done WW for years, and have been curious of the Noom plan but it seems as though they won't tell you any details unless you pay for it first.

Also, yeah, ignore Vision. They only seem to think there is one way to lose weight-their way or the highway.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
Thanks for clearing up a little more on how Noom works-so there are different "colors" of foods and you can consume foods appropriately as directed according to their "color"?

Are any foods off-limits?

Also, does Noom decide your calorie range? 1200 seems super low.

I've done WW for years, and have been curious of the Noom plan but it seems as though they won't tell you any details unless you pay for it first.

Also, yeah, ignore Vision. They only seem to think there is one way to lose weight-their way or the highway.
Yes, you can eat anything that you desire. But, you need to try to keep it in the proportions that I listed. So, if you have a piece of frosted chocolate cake for a snack, at 300 calories, that means that you have to eat a lot less the rest of the day to stay under your suggested calorie limit. Also, that "uses up" all of your quota of red foods, so you can't (or shouldn't) have a beef hamburger (also a red food) for dinner. Frankly, it makes it a lot easier to pass on the chocolate cake and have (a very satisfying) low-calorie hot chocolate, a green food at 40 calories, instead. But, if you really, really want that chocolate cake you can have it. You just need to adjust your intake the rest of the day.

I believe that their "standard" calories are 1,200 for women and 1,500 for men. However, I believe that can be adjusted to meet individual needs. For example, if you have a physically demanding job and/or exercise a lot it can be adjusted higher.

When I signed up a few weeks ago, you paid up front, but if you cancelled during the first two weeks they did not charge your credit card.

Each day you have "mini-lessons" on the psychology behind overeating, nutrition, tips to stay healthy and active, etc. These are three to five "mini-lessons" that take one to three minutes each to read and reflect upon. The writing is very interesting and often quite funny. I believe that it usually takes about two months (maybe longer) to "finish" all the lessons.

In the beginning you list when you usually eat your meals and snacks. If you don't post your meal or snack (within an hour or so) of that time it sends you a message reminding you to list what you ate.

They have two kinds of coaches. One is an "individual" coach who emails once or twice a week to ask questions making you reflect on your eating behavior. You set a simple weekly goal with them and the next time you will tell them how successful you were.

They also have a "group' coach. She posts encouraging or informative posts with pictures a couple times a week. Sometimes she will ask a question and Noom group members respond. Last week she asked to indicate how much weight you lost but not use pounds, inches or any other standard measure. I lost seven and 1/6th Little Feminist 500 piece puzzles. Another person lost 15 bags of marshmallows. And made a joke that it was "a lot of fluff". Someone else lost two Costco Rotisserie chickens. Someone else made a joke about "losing all their marbles".

Noom group members can post problems or questions or successes on the group chat and the coach and other Noomers can respond.

Noom uses a great deal of positive reinforcement. For example, if you eat fruit or vegetables for a meal or snack there will be a positive comment (often a pun or joke).

I have had a weight problem for quite sometime so I know that it is hard work and takes time to be successful.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:49 AM

OP here.
Weight today, 2-27-21, 218.4, Calories eaten yesterday 1350, Walked 1.5 miles (arthritis is starting to act up)

Old 02-28-2021, 10:51 AM

OP here.
Weight today, 2-28-21, 218.4, Calories eaten yesterday 1250, Walked 2 miles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss