Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:46 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,604,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can't say I "enjoy" exercise. But I love the health benefits, it makes me feel better and more energized, and I like the toned aesthetic. It keeps my blood pressure down, makes my blood glucose numbers more stable, and prevents my RA from progressing with permanent damage. It is also crazy good for your immune systems health.
You can do that without any exercise. Because the body wants to be healthy. If you weren't healthy, that is simply the result of poor dietary and lifestyle choices. No exercise can fix those problems.

You can eat processed foods every day and no exercise can fix the inflammation caused by those poor diet choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 12:49 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You can do that without any exercise. Because the body wants to be healthy. If you weren't healthy, that is simply the result of poor dietary and lifestyle choices. No exercise can fix those problems.

You can eat processed foods every day and no exercise can fix the inflammation caused by those poor diet choices.
ROFL. You are SO wrong.

I'm 54 years old, and I have seen it repeatedly. I exercise, my numbers are good, I don't exercise my numbers turn bad. Repeatedly.

I eat a very healthy diet, whole foods, mainly vegetables and fruit, whole grains, some meat.

Don't even try the gluten intolerance shpeel. I went gluten free for two years, with no change.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2021, 01:27 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,393,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Again, science books say a whole bunch of things that aren't true. So some doctor actually comes along and does the actual research and finds out that ... hunters in Africa and humans in an office in NYC have about the same calories burned per day...

Well "Science" then tells us that every common belief that we have about exercise is ... open to questioning.
I’m not talking about science books but actual research studies based on observed data. If exercise does nothing as claimed then where is that data? We should easily be able to observe this data. Yes, I agree that diet is a big part of being healthy but to make the false claim that exercise does nothing is a bit of an exaggeration.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:54 PM

29,700 posts, read 34,240,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Maybe you are reading the wrong science books.
And a complete ignorance of how scientific research is done and how the results are disseminated. (Hint: it's not through "science books.")

Old 03-07-2021, 04:08 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Perhaps with the convoluted logic and twisting of information the OP should consider yoga?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Last time I checked eating healthy did not release endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine neurotransmitters which are related to pain and depression emotions. It’s shouldn’t be an either or dilemma. Exercising and nutrition go hand in hand and exercise provides many benefits that’s eating healthy alone cannot provide.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:32 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,788,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Last time I checked eating healthy did not release endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine neurotransmitters which are related to pain and depression emotions. It’s shouldn’t be an either or dilemma. Exercising and nutrition go hand in hand and exercise provides many benefits that’s eating healthy alone cannot provide.
But if you really hate exercise you look for excuses.
Diet and exercise like you say do indeed go hand in hand. The benefits of exercise are numerous. I find it very transparent when people try and convince you that exercise is either pointless or bad for you.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
But if you really hate exercise you look for excuses.
Diet and exercise like you say do indeed go hand in hand. The benefits of exercise are numerous. I find it very transparent when people try and convince you that exercise is either pointless or bad for you.
exactly, when people make excuses for not exercising we call those barriers. Also, we have data showing that exercise increases life expectancy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...cal%20activity.

So much for those in the exercise does nothing camp showing any real data of their baseless claims.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:22 AM

575 posts, read 337,196 times
This is one of those things that depends on the peculiarities of one's metabolism.

Exercise never resulted in any weight loss for me.

Right now I am doing 3 hours of slow walking each day, which hardly anyone could remotely consider an exercise, yet I have been dropping pounds.
Clearly, I found something that works for me, but I doubt that if we picked 100 random people off the street, that more than 10 would have same result.

I love elliptical, but I will only use it to prep for hiking from now via interval training across 2-3 weeks - this will give you enough endurance for a 16 hour hike up the mountain.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:52 AM

13,661 posts, read 12,341,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Again, science books say a whole bunch of things that aren't true. So some doctor actually comes along and does the actual research and finds out that ... hunters in Africa and humans in an office in NYC have about the same calories burned per day...

Well "Science" then tells us that every common belief that we have about exercise is ... open to questioning.

If it makes you feel better that is a legit reason for it.

But we do not know for sure, that it does anything for blood pressure, reduces glucose, or does anything for RA and the immune system. I would argue that given the new information that is coming out we need to start questioning if all the alleged benefits are actually benefits of exercise or perhaps are just associations which may be caused by other things.
Your statement implies that science books aren't backed by "actual research." It also ignores the myriad of studies on the benefits of exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss