Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 09:58 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,385,944 times

Advertisements

New systematic review: intermittent fasting is not better than chronic calorie restriction for body composition or glycemic control in type 2 diabetes

Follow-up 12-18 months after intermittent fasting did not show promising results for continued weight loss and improved glycemic control. The majority of the studies demonstrated insignificant differences between intermittent fasting and continuous energy restriction for measures of glycated hemoglobin a1c and body composition.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32780629/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 10:32 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,005,605 times
IF works for me, but it works because it's time restricted eating. I was eating 14-16 hours a day and by (slowly) reducing that to a 6 hour eating window I was restricting my calories. And even on IF I gained weight - I have to calorie count even within that window. So, for me, it still boils down to CICO. It's just easier to manage in a shorter timeframe.

Everyone is different. If one person needs a 'system' of some sort and can be successful using it, then I say go for it! Just try to make overall lifestyle changes, as opposed to being on a diet that presumably would end one day. Best of luck to all of us facing these struggles!

Old 03-11-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
IF works for me, but it works because it's time restricted eating. I was eating 14-16 hours a day and by (slowly) reducing that to a 6 hour eating window I was restricting my calories. And even on IF I gained weight - I have to calorie count even within that window. So, for me, it still boils down to CICO. It's just easier to manage in a shorter timeframe.

Everyone is different. If one person needs a 'system' of some sort and can be successful using it, then I say go for it! Just try to make overall lifestyle changes, as opposed to being on a diet that presumably would end one day. Best of luck to all of us facing these struggles!
Yea, I don't think anyone is claiming it doesn't work. Simply that it is not the superior way of losing weight vs chronic calorie restriction. IF is great for adherence purposes. If intermittent fasting were far superior I would be doing it but for me chronic calorie restriction works just fine.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:49 PM

8,930 posts, read 5,957,848 times
The conclusions were that more information and study was necessary. It was a very small sample. People on the calorie restricted diet and the IF diet were able to maintain the diets long term. One advantage of IF is that many people are able to continue with IF for a long time compared to people on tightly restricted calorie diets.

"More data on intermittent fasting in adults with obesity and type 2 diabetes are needed to determine its benefits within this patient population. "

Old 04-19-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The conclusions were that more information and study was necessary. It was a very small sample. People on the calorie restricted diet and the IF diet were able to maintain the diets long term. One advantage of IF is that many people are able to continue with IF for a long time compared to people on tightly restricted calorie diets.

"More data on intermittent fasting in adults with obesity and type 2 diabetes are needed to determine its benefits within this patient population. "
Right, more study is necessary, so at this point we still have no evidence for IF being the superior way to lose weight. Even in other studies I have seen with healthy subjects there is still no clear advantage of doing IF over continuous caloric restriction.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,775,052 times
This study just goes to show how personal weight loss is and there is no one superior way to lose weight.
IF works for some not all
Low carb works for some not all
Keto works for some not all
CICO works for some not all

I think we mistake our own success for a way of eating that everyone can be successful with and that is simply not true.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:03 PM

8,930 posts, read 5,957,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Right, more study is necessary, so at this point we still have no evidence for IF being the superior way to lose weight. Even in other studies I have seen with healthy subjects there is still no clear advantage of doing IF over continuous caloric restriction.
That is what most studies show, albeit most are small numbers of participants.

Diet is such a personal life style choice, that having multiple options helps invite more people into healthier choices. For some, IF many help them continue with their choices for a more permanent change over other forms of dietary programs.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
That is what most studies show, albeit most are small numbers of participants.

Diet is such a personal life style choice, that having multiple options helps invite more people into healthier choices. For some, IF many help them continue with their choices for a more permanent change over other forms of dietary programs.
Many claim that IF is superior but the data shows otherwise. Like you said when it comes to weight loss there really isn’t a superior way to lose weight. It comes down to preference and what works best for you.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:15 PM

8,008 posts, read 10,568,890 times
This assumption that people who overeat can just suddenly start fasting for hours at a time kind of makes me chuckle.

If people could just simply decide to stop eating for long periods of time, they wouldn't be fat in the first place.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:52 AM

21,684 posts, read 24,861,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
This assumption that people who overeat can just suddenly start fasting for hours at a time kind of makes me chuckle.

If people could just simply decide to stop eating for long periods of time, they wouldn't be fat in the first place.
Well, yeah. If people just stopped eating too much they wouldn't get fat. It's easier said than done but the only way to not get fat over the years is to stop eating too much. It's not something I'm very good at. I usually gradually put on 2-5 pounds or so a year so every year or two I pay more attention to what I'm eating and drop the weight I've put on by eating too much. And then go back not really paying any attention to what I eat other than generally not eating a bunch of junk food and plenty of vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss