Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 02:31 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

OP, did you go to a doctor and had physical examination?
Perhaps there is a medical reason why are you gaining weight. You need to know that for sure. Your doctor might set up an appointment with dietician for you.

Last edited by elnina; 03-31-2021 at 03:42 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 04:47 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
I don't even need a rundown. The minute I hear someone say they're eating around 1,300-1800 .calories, it tells me they really don't know what their intake is. I stopped wasting my time with clients that made claims like this a long time ago. It's not worth an argument. But what I do is pose to them a challenge. I've invited more than one to stay with my wife and myself for a weekend and have me monitor everything they eat and all their activity. That is truly the only way to know if they're being honest. Not once did anyone ever take me up on that offer. From my experience, most people do under report the amount of calories they take in.
Thank heavens for MyFitnessPal, then.

I'm not suggesting apps like that are to-the-single-digit accurate on calories, but it surely is a ballpark. As is the Garmin device on my wrist c. 23 hrs/day, that monitors steps, activities, and tons more. I believe this is all on a glide path to providing each person who is interested a highly detailed picture of their personal telemetry. Over time the tech will continue to improve; I wouldn't be surprised in 20(?) years if we have devices that have blood chemistry and who knows what else in a heckuva detailed view for all who care to review it. Such devices almost certainly already exist, but I'm waiting to trickle-down to the consumer level.

I wanted a holistic, no blue-sky understanding of my inputs and outputs to the greatest degree practicable using today's consumer device technology, though not to an extreme. Got it, six months of it so far. The data is surprising, and some actionable. Cheating/fooling ourselves is damn foolish, I'll agree with that.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:54 PM

57 posts, read 63,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OP, did you go to a doctor and had physical examination?
Yes. I have nothing. I guess I have just a slow metabolism. I'm not terribly overweight (though probably obese with the BMI) but I am not athletic like I used to be and it p*sses me off.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:12 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
I agree with the others, we aren't getting accurate information here or the OP is seriously delusional. It's not humanly possible to eat 1300-1800 calories per day for years on end, with no cheat days I'm assuming, and stay at that size.

Every person I know in real life who claims this has hidden calories somewhere. Some didn't count weekends, others didn't count alcohol intake, others didn't count the nightly 800-calorie piece of cheesecake before bedtime.

My 80 year old grandfather who's 5'7" and weighs 170 lbs. lost weight sitting in a hospital bed all day on a 1400 calorie diet.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:13 PM

23,296 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuujj View Post
but I am not athletic like I used to be and it p*sses me off.
Well, then fix that! Not that more exercise on its own is going to solve the problem, but when you are exercising you aren't putting food in your mouth. Getting p*ssed off probably predisposes you to sabotaging your diet.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
what about drinks?
Are they loaded in calories?...or just water.
That can make a BIG diff.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
what about drinks?
Are they loaded in calories?...or just water.
That can make a BIG diff.
Water and lots of coffee, with a splash of milk.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:26 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
The OP is the classic tried every kind of diet and never stick to it type. With any diet you can't just do a 2-3 week trial and expect results until your body as adapted.

I started keto and saw weight loss within a week but it was painful to get into it. After a month I got over the hump and saw a dramatic weight loss about 10 lbs in the 1st month. You have to adhere to a very good diet plan. People who thinks more of something is better is wrong, doing any kind of diet requires doing less and more time not eating.

Seen people who eat steak and butter everyday thinking that's keto. But it's not, keto means a very limited amount of protein, carbs, and higher amounts of saturated fats.

Intermittent fasting works once somebody has become fat adapted so the body will burn bodyfat quicker.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:49 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Post a full day of EVERYTHING you eat/drink that is caloric.

I suspect binge-eating is making it very hard for the OP to lose weight.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Post a full day of EVERYTHING you eat/drink that is caloric.

I suspect binge-eating is making it very hard for the OP to lose weight.
well, I already did...

All morning: coffee with a little bit of milk

Noon: always the same 250cal salad

Dinner: small portion of rice with vedgies and a portion of meat

Before bed: a ham or tuna sandwhich (around 400 cals)

Middle of the night snack: 200-400 cals depending on what I eat. Last night I just had a few ham slices with a cup of milk maybe.

That's seriously all I eat all day everyday. I got to 245 pounds because during the winter I would eat every two hours, lots of carbs (bread or pasta), huge portions..etc. And very little exercise.

Now that I cut back and that I am eating just what I listed everyday for weeks now, I would expect SOME weight loss. But no, I am stuck at the same weight as if I was still eating a carb rich diet every two hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss