Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 10:45 AM

117 posts, read 46,887 times

Advertisements

I used to drink that staff many years ago and I don't recall being a problem for keeping the weight off.

Now I wouldn't drink it because I don't like the taste. I don't like flavored watered in general. I find it too sweet.

Like the previous poster, I am not a purist. I think being obese is way worse than whatever sugar substitutes can produce. The problem is when you consume too much food. Everything in moderation, including food with sugar substitutes. I used to consume sugar substitutes (Splenda, Crystal light) like 15-20 years ago but now I don't find a need to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 12:13 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I just can’t stand to drink water all the time and I know people say that sugary drinks are bad for you. I am already obese. Is it true that sugar substitutes like crystal light cause cancer/have the same effect on your body as drinking sugary drinks ?
Yes, Crystal Light style zero calorie drink flavorings are a great option for anyone looking to lose weight. I have been using them for close to a decade now.

No, they do not raise insulin like sugar. That mechanism does not exist. No, they don't cause cancer in humans. There are studies showing that they can cause cancer and tumors in rats, but rats are not humans and no study has shown the same relationship to exist where humans are concerned.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:32 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
I just can’t stand to drink water all the time and I know people say that sugary drinks are bad for you. I am already obese. Is it true that sugar substitutes like crystal light cause cancer/have the same effect on your body as drinking sugary drinks ?
How much substituting are you talking about OP? You know what they say about moderation...an occasional use won't hurt you, but you should keep looking for other substitutes that don't come with a load of some artificial sweeteners and change things up. I don't like Crystal Light...much too intense.

IME people focus too much on the sweetness of the drink, not the flavor of the drink. Find flavors you like (raspberry, mint, orange, lemon, sarsaparilla, whatever it may be) and then find ways to get those particular flavors into drinks that come along with the least amounts of sugar/calories. Try new flavors. You may find a new one that interests you. I find that chilled plain seltzer with a little bit of my favorite fruit, mint or some other spice is enough to satisfy my desire for something other than "plain water" (and my local tap water tastes fine). There are hundreds of flavors of tea...decaffinated or herbal that can add variety. Room temp "iced tea" is blah. Truly chilled ice tea isn't. As you consume less and less sugar in your diet in general you'll find most sweetened beverages become much too sweet. If you are still consuming a lot of sugar in other ways, an unsweetened drink will taste like a deprivation.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-11-2021 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 02:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
How much substituting are you talking about OP? You know what they say about moderation...an occasional use won't hurt you, but you should keep looking for other substitutes that don't come with a load of some artificial sweeteners and change things up. I don't like Crystal Light...much too intense.

IME people focus too much on the sweetness of the drink, not the flavor of the drink. Find flavors you like (raspberry, mint, orange, lemon, sarsaparilla, whatever it may be) and then find ways to get those particular flavors into drinks that come along with the least amounts of sugar/calories. Try new flavors. You may find a new one that interests you. I find that chilled plain seltzer with a little bit of my favorite fruit, mint or some other spice is enough to satisfy my desire for something other than "plain water" (and my local tap water tastes fine). There are hundreds of flavors of tea...decaffinated or herbal that can add variety. Room temp "iced tea" is blah. Truly chilled ice tea isn't. As you consume less and less sugar in your diet in general you'll find most sweetened beverages become much too sweet. If you are still consuming a lot of sugar in other ways, an unsweetened drink will taste like a deprivation.
I am not talking about substituting a lot. Maybe like 2 times a day. If I drink it more than that it is too sweet

Old 04-11-2021, 02:38 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
I am not talking about substituting a lot. Maybe like 2 times a day. If I drink it more than that it is too sweet
Well, do you mean a huge serving that you end up nursing/sipping just to fill time or keep your taste buds occupied (so you don't snack on something else) twice a day or do you mean a straightforward 8 oz serving twice a day? See the difference?

Old 04-11-2021, 02:55 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
...have the same effect on your body as drinking sugary drinks ?

I've had an occasional diet Pepsi for years with no effect on my blood sugar whatsoever, and absolutely no weight gain.

OTH, if I had had regular sugar-y Pepsi, my blood sugar would have skyrocketed, and I'm sure I would have gained weight from it. But diet soda...no problem.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:10 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, do you mean a huge serving that you end up nursing/sipping just to fill time or keep your taste buds occupied (so you don't snack on something else) twice a day or do you mean a straightforward 8 oz serving twice a day? See the difference?
I mean taking two sixteen ounce bottles of water and adding crystal light to it

Old 04-11-2021, 03:34 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,603 times
Crystal Light is perfectly fine if that's what you need to ensure you get enough water, preferably watered down a bit - although it might be easier to start strong and wean yourself down. I lost plenty if weight mostly drinking coffee + diet coke - and those don't even count as water!

Do what you need to do!

Old 04-13-2021, 05:06 AM

762 posts, read 451,943 times
Consider trying distilled water and adding fresh lemon, lime, strawberries and some orange slices even some mint with a tiny splash of apple cider vinegar with mother. Your body will thank you with improved healthy and a beautiful complexion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss