Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2021, 06:28 AM

585 posts, read 497,034 times

Advertisements

Getting very frustrated. I lost 10 lbs initially. I’m eating very low carb and maybe 1200 calories a day. I’m not building muscle. I do the same exercise I always have. Walking, riding bike, elliptical. I have hypothyroidism but just had it checked and the numbers are in range. TSH was 3.74. Not sure what else to do. After losing 10 lbs I went up 2 lbs then down 2 lbs and stayed at that weight for about 2 weeks. I want to lose 40 to 50 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 03:11 PM

23,404 posts, read 19,018,776 times
2 weeks isn't a very long time. If you truly are burning more calories than you consume (and you are not lying to yourself about how much you are actually eating), you'll lose weight. Some fluctuation is just water weight. There's often a more significant loss at the beginning of a diet, then a plateau.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:15 PM

3,470 posts, read 2,454,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
Getting very frustrated. I lost 10 lbs initially. I’m eating very low carb and maybe 1200 calories a day. I’m not building muscle. I do the same exercise I always have. Walking, riding bike, elliptical. I have hypothyroidism but just had it checked and the numbers are in range. TSH was 3.74. Not sure what else to do. After losing 10 lbs I went up 2 lbs then down 2 lbs and stayed at that weight for about 2 weeks. I want to lose 40 to 50 lbs.
If you want to lose 40-50 pounds, you might not be eating enough. It also depends on what those 1200 calories you're eating consists of. What does your doctor say? Has he referred you yet to a nutritionist? If not, have you asked for a referral? If not, why not?

Old 04-05-2021, 06:50 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,212 times
You are not giving yourself enough time.
A quick way to find out if its your diet, write down everything you eat and the portion size. That will let you know if its your diet. Lots of people misjudge calorie consumption. Writing down what you eat keeps you accountable. 1200 calories does not sound like enough calories, if that is the case your weight loss may stall for a week or two until it adjusts.
You will not get any muscular definition by doing only aerobic exercise. You need to do weight resistance training to build muscle. And if you are a woman don't plan on seeing definition for 6 months to a year.

The first week of dieting results in a large weight drop which is primarily water. You should strive for 1 to 2 pound loss weekly.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:43 AM

5,724 posts, read 4,318,730 times
Quote:

How long did the 10 lb loss take? 2 days, 2 months, a week?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:57 AM

4,242 posts, read 950,235 times
OP, this has been my experience too. I lost about 18 pounds over a two-month period, then nothing for over three weeks. Very discouraging! Now the scale is moving again, though very slowly (about a pound a week).

The tips above are right on target. I increased my calorie intake from 1250 to 1600 for about a week and this may have contributed to losing again (I'm now around 1300-1350). I also started watching portion size more carefully, including weighing cuts of meat. While I hadn't been far off before, I did find that I was overestimating portion sizes.

Keep at it! If you have an over-eating day, just readjust the next day. Have go to snacks for when you're hungry that are low-cal but will fill you up. Consider experimenting with changing your exercise routine - maybe take a class or swim.

Wishing you good luck!

Old 04-06-2021, 08:01 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
2 weeks isn't a very long time. If you truly are burning more calories than you consume (and you are not lying to yourself about how much you are actually eating), you'll lose weight. Some fluctuation is just water weight. There's often a more significant loss at the beginning of a diet, then a plateau.
And also the scale isn't the be-all-end-all measurement. Do you notice your muscles are toning up? Your clothes fit better? You can work out longer?

Old 04-06-2021, 10:24 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 334,144 times
Thin doesn't mean lightweight. To break plateaus u can sleep better and eat more fats in your diet, same number of calories, high quality food.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:27 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 334,144 times
1200 isnt enough calories actually, way too few

Old 04-08-2021, 10:05 AM

575 posts, read 340,508 times
Quote:
I’m eating very low carb and maybe 1200 calories a day.
That's about ~8,500 calories per week, which is about the same that I do. I'm 6'3" with a wide build. What's your height ?

Quote:
I want to lose 40 to 50 lbs.
I just lost over 50 pounds in slightly less than 6 months. I have experienced 5 plateaus. Each lasting between 10-20 days. Basically, each and every month (though without any regular pattern). I only weigh myself about once a week.
I have, literally, 2 days ago, climbed out of a ~3 week plateau. Fun

Quote:
and stayed at that weight for about 2 weeks
2 weeks is absolutely normal. See above.

Quote:
Getting very frustrated.
Of course. If there were no plateaus, majority of population would be fit, because it's very easy to stay motivated when scale is moving.

But, as you are noticing, it's really hard when it doesn't move for two weeks.

Quote:
Not sure what else to do.
2 Things:
1. Adjust your expectations. Plateaus are a part of the game. Embrace it.
2. Do not, I repeat, do not weigh yourself more than once a week. If you only weigh yourself 3 times during a plateau, it's way less discouraging than 20 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss