Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 06:32 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,419,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
True. It doesn't matter what you eat, it's how much you're shoveling into your pie hole.

I remember years ago reading about the "Twinkie Diet." A nutrition professor at K-State lost 27lbs, eating nothing but supposedly calorie-laden junk food in moderation. We're talking Doritos, Ho-Hos, Snickers bars... He didn't eat a salad or anything healthy for 2 months. --And still lost weight.

https://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/0...sor/index.html
Yep I'm very familiar with this guy. And I always bring him up when people don't understand CICO or claim that sugar is the cause of obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 07:00 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,671,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
And? What's your point? Most morbidly obese people do have eating disorders.

Many here claim that potatoes are the worst food and that you cannot lose weight eating high carbs. Well guess we just smashed that claim.
LOL, MENTAL CONDITION MAY HAVE CAUSED HIM TO OVEREAT. He may got better mental function for whatever reason and lost weight for reasons INDEPENDENT of eating potatoes! For all we know he maybe got anorexia nervosa or even a wasting disease like cancer. And alas we have no INDEPENDENT COLLABORATION of what he actually ate before or after or his mental condition before and after.

This just an anecdotal retelling of a personal experience by ONE man that admits he has mental problems. Where are all the other people losing weight on the potato only diet. Where are the detailed records of exact amounts of potato?

Old 04-13-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Yep I'm very familiar with this guy. And I always bring him up when people don't understand CICO or claim that sugar is the cause of obesity.
Yep if the best you can do is the anecdotal recount of ONE self admittedly mentally ill man, then you have nothing close to proof.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Yep if the best you can do is the anecdotal recount of ONE self admittedly mentally ill man, then you have nothing close to proof.
There is nothing anecdotal about his weight loss. His weight loss was due in part to the laws of thermodynamics which you cannot defy. Take another 1000 people and have them eat nothing but potatoes in a caloric deficit and they will all lose weight. Someone could eat nothing but sugars, fructose and saturated fat and still lose weight if they are in a caloric deficit. What is it about CICO that you do not understand? It doesn't matter what you eat if you are in a caloric deficit you WILL lose weight no matter what.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
True. It doesn't matter what you eat, it's how much you're shoveling into your pie hole.

I remember years ago reading about the "Twinkie Diet." A nutrition professor at K-State lost 27lbs, eating nothing but supposedly calorie-laden junk food in moderation. We're talking Doritos, Ho-Hos, Snickers bars... He didn't eat a salad or anything healthy for 2 months. --And still lost weight.

https://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/0...sor/index.html
And how your body uses it. If your body is feeling starvation, it will slow your metabolism to a crawl. Sure long enough on a forced starvation diet you will look like one of those starving Africans, the listless ones with bony arms and legs and rib cage showing, and flies crawling on them.

But can you do a starvation diet long term voluntarily? Least without having anorexia nervosa. Thats why calorie counting diets dont work, first your own body fights you by going into starvation mode, conserving calories. This is the plateau. Then you are thinking about food 24/7 cause you are indeed HUNGRY. Unless you are living on a desert island or locked in prison cell, you will be around food, usually high carb foods. As they say RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED..... you will reach your BLISS POINT.

Low carb is lot easier, eat all you want, feel full, lose weight. Your body will regulate how much food you take in, not you constantly trying to override your hunger from limited caloric intake. You really need a diet where you arent constantly having to think about it and over ride your natural instincts. One you can live with rest of your life. Do you want to feel starved the rest of your life? Cause the moment you reach your weight goal and quit the calorie counting, you will just gain it back and probably end up even fatter. Ever hear of yo-yo dieting?????

Old 04-13-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
LOL, MENTAL CONDITION MAY HAVE CAUSED HIM TO OVEREAT. He may got better mental function for whatever reason and lost weight for reasons INDEPENDENT of eating potatoes! For all we know he maybe got anorexia nervosa or even a wasting disease like cancer. And alas we have no INDEPENDENT COLLABORATION of what he actually ate before or after or his mental condition before and after.

This just an anecdotal retelling of a personal experience by ONE man that admits he has mental problems. Where are all the other people losing weight on the potato only diet. Where are the detailed records of exact amounts of potato?
His mental illness has nothing to do with his weight loss. Since you doubt that you can lose weight on potatoes here is a perfectly healthy man who lost 21 pounds eating nothing but potatoes

https://spudman.com/article/all-pota...s-later-voigt/

Again, if you are in a caloric deficit you can lose weight eating anything including highly processed foods like fries or twinkies. Here is a perfectly normal man who lose 37 pounds on a Mcdonalds diet. https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...onalds-2015-10
How did he lose weight eating nothing but highly processed foods? By being in a caloric DEFICIT

Last edited by Diesel350z; 04-13-2021 at 07:35 AM..

Old 04-13-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
And how your body uses it. If your body is feeling starvation, it will slow your metabolism to a crawl. Sure long enough on a forced starvation diet you will look like one of those starving Africans, the listless ones with bony arms and legs and rib cage showing, and flies crawling on them.
The guy doing the twinkie diet was not starving himself like an African, he was simply in a caloric deficit.

Quote:
But can you do a starvation diet long term voluntarily? Least without having anorexia nervosa. Thats why calorie counting diets dont work, first your own body fights you by going into starvation mode, conserving calories. This is the plateau. Then you are thinking about food 24/7 cause you are indeed HUNGRY. Unless you are living on a desert island or locked in prison cell, you will be around food, usually high carb foods. As they say RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED..... you will reach your BLISS POINT.
The science says you are wrong. More flexible diets like counting calories are easier to adhere to and you lose more weight than more rigid diets like low carb. Rigid dieting like low carb also causes more eating disorders.

Flexible dieting causes more fat loss:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29494790/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22209501/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10349584/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14647175/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25903250/

Rigid dieting associates with eating disorders:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11883916/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31998997/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10336790/

Quote:
Low carb is lot easier, eat all you want, feel full, lose weight. Your body will regulate how much food you take in, not you constantly trying to override your hunger from limited caloric intake. You really need a diet where you arent constantly having to think about it and over ride your natural instincts. One you can live with rest of your life. Do you want to feel starved the rest of your life? Cause the moment you reach your weight goal and quit the calorie counting, you will just gain it back and probably end up even fatter. Ever hear of yo-yo dieting?????
Low carb, eat all you want? How can you eat all you want on low carb? You are making no sense with your claims. Many people feel starved on a low carb diet because they are not getting enough carbs which are the most satiating out of any food out there. Eating potatoes will make you feel full.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:41 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,260,759 times
Quote:

Low carb usually works because when you eliminate 100g of carbs a day you normally eat (or significantly more) you are eliminating at least 400 calories (usually more) because a gram of carbs is 4 calories. add in all the extra stuff in processed carbs (bread, crackers, pasta) and the calories keep climbing. You can eat more because you cut out a significant portion of your calories by eliminating an entire food group.

I do low carb generally, i dont eat a lot of bread or pasta, but I do sometimes because I understand the science behind CICO and if I eat less carbs I can easily eat less calories. I have lost 45 lbs since December 1, not because Im starving, I eat 1300-1400 calories a day. Not because I am doing a gimicky low carb/lowfat/high protein/keto/paleo/ etc etc. Its because I am focusing on eating well balanced and filling foods and tracking my intake.

Also I am never really hungry. I never reduced my calories to the point that I was hungry. If youre hungry you are likely not eating enough. However having a sugar addiction or a junk food fixation can convince you youre hungry even when youre not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss