Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 10:46 AM

307 posts, read 213,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I would do alternate day fasting.

The weight comes off fast and can keep you motivated.
I wish I could make it through an entire 24 hour period without eating but I've tried it and it doesn't work for me. I could make it until about 3pm then I start craving everything bad. I could do IF for 12 hours but more than that would make me crazy. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 10:52 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle2 View Post
I wish I could make it through an entire 24 hour period without eating but I've tried it and it doesn't work for me. I could make it until about 3pm then I start craving everything bad. I could do IF for 12 hours but more than that would make me crazy. lol
I had that problem too but I just would have a small non carb snack when I didn't feel I could make it and soon enough, I could give up the snack.

Your body adjusts after a few days.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 665 times
Exclamation My 70 lb. weight loss in 8 months.

So I am 6 foot and almost one year ago i was 250 pounds. Since may of last year I have been working hard on dieting, and occasionally working out. Most people are like "Oh, you only workout twice a week how are you still losing weight?" I've been taking an extremely helpful supplement right here --> https://bit.ly/3dBnMiL It legit has helped me so much. Watch the instructional video in the link for more information. I am now just under 180 pounds! I wish you all the best! Happy Weight Loss!

Old 04-21-2021, 11:42 AM

307 posts, read 213,807 times
Quote:
I had that problem too but I just would have a small non carb snack when I didn't feel I could make it and soon enough, I could give up the snack.

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll try it on a non-work day to see how things go.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:05 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
It’s easy to lose weight by just counting calories and portion control. You need to take a hard look at what you eat and how much you eat. You don’t need a lot of exercise or any kind of fancy diet.

Since we don’t know what you eat, it’s hard to be specific.
If you eat a whole pizza or a dozen doughnuts every day, you would lose weight if you stopped.
If you eat a well balanced diet, but too much, just cut it in half.

I’m a fan of low carb eating and intermittent fasting. They both are easy for me to follow and I felt better too.

Just start by giving up sugar and white flour. No fruit juice. Have all the meat, cheese, eggs and vegetables you want. Do not eat after 7:00pm and hold out until 10 or 11:00 to eat in the morning. I bet that is all you will need to do. It’s not rocket science.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:41 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:

Your body adjusted. Her body may not. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else. There is no one right way to lose. If it didn't work for her in the past why would she try it again?
You do know the definition of insanity don't you? Doing the same thing over hoping for a different result.
Plus it lowers the self esteem of someone who tries a certain way and fails thinking that they must be doing something wrong.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:16 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle2 View Post
That's a good idea. Maybe I'll try it on a non-work day to see how things go.
There is also a diet called 5:2.

5 days a week you eat to TDEE and then for 2 days you can have 500 calories.

There is also 4:3 if that is better for you.

I have lost 30 lbs since December and I started at 206 as well. (I have been taking breaks also to my metabolism doesn't adjust downward).

Old 04-22-2021, 06:11 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,829 times
Hi! First, I know mentally your head isnt there yet but you can make small changes that make big differences and as you lose a few pounds and gain confidence youll get more motivated.

i have lost 47 lbs since December. I am a little burnt out right now so I scaled back on my exercise but I am trying to stick to my calorie goals which has slowed down the weight loss but Im still losing 2 lbs a week.

Heres my advice:
1) dont drink ANY calories except coffee if thats something you enjoy. No sweetened teas, no juice, no soda etc. Flavored flat or seltzer water great, plain water is great, unsweetened herbal teas that have nice fruity flavors are delicious. I use half and half and stevia in my coffee.

2)find ways to trim a little bit of calories. One thing I have been loving lately is plain unsweetened unflavored greek yogurt. Its 90 calories for 3/4 cup which is tons of yogurt. It tastes kind of like sour cream. For my lunch every day I have a serving of yogurt (also 18 grams of protein) with blueberries and a packet of stevia. its like 115 calories and tastes very good. I also use it to make ranch dressing for salad or veggie dippers. Its very low calorie in a 2 tbsp portion, like 15-30 calories and I add a little powdered ranch seasoning. Ranch dressing is 110 calories ish for the same amount. I use it in place of some of the mayo in tuna, I put 1 tbsp of mayo and 1.5 tbsp of greek yogurt. Cant tell the difference. I use it in place of sour cream and cream cheese in some recipes. Just experiment until you find what you like.

3) I eliminated peanut butter and bought pb2 or peanut butter powder. Mix with a little water or directly in liquid for peanut butter flavor with 1/3 calories. I make peanut butter yogurt with gluten free granola that tastes exactly like those chibani flips

Finding small ways to eliminate calories will make a huge difference. People tend to forget about sauces, dressings, drinks etc when they think I ate healthy today. You can add hundreds of calories a day to your diet with a single soda and some mayo on your sandwich. As you start seeing a difference youll start to be more motivated and youll want to make other small changes. Swapping your noodles for zucchini, I make a low carb lasagna that is absolutely amazing and is just a twist on my pre-diet lasagna. Swapping your bread for a low carb low calorie bread.

I do recommend using an app to track though if its something you can make yourself do. It really helps me stay on track but I realize not everyone has time or desire to do that.

Small changes with small goals are more easy to attain, maintain and will help you long term.

My next goal is 50 lbs and Im getting frozen yogurt.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
A funny thing that helps me...seeing actresses on TV that look GREAT!
I ask myself, "Would they be eating this right now?"
The answer is always, No.

But ultimately getting a Total Gym did the trick. Feel and look great again.
Put it in front of a TV ...time flies...in 2 weeks what a difference! In 2 months wow...
I had a diff body ...and it was easy and fun!

Imp sentence from above:
Finding small ways to eliminate calories will make a huge difference.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:00 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
The #1 motivation should be: "How ARE you?" Meaning - how is your physical health, how is your attitude toward life, how is your whole self? If the answer is "okay" or better, then you're in a place where you can improve. If it's "meh" or worse, then you should check with a doctor before trying anything. You might be in a perfect place in your mind/body to start, but being less than "okay" means someone should just take a quick check and confirm that all systems are go.

The #2 motivation should be "How do I feel in my skin? Am I satisfied with how my clothes fit, how I present myself to the world, the feedback I get in response to my presentation?"

Again - if you're "okay" or better, then go and improve. You're good to go. If you're "meh" or less, check with a doctor.

And while you're waiting for that "perfect time/situation" to lose weight, start walking more. Prepare yourself. Carry a plastic grocery bag with 2 cans in it, in each hand while you walk, and pump your arms with each step. This will raise your heart rate, burn more calories, strengthen your upper arms, with very very little effort. Plus people won't look at you weird for walking around holding actual cans. People walk around with grocery bags all the time Strive for a mile a day. If you're already doing that, double it. You don't have to go crazy with that. Just get your heart pumping.

In addition, find one thing that you can easily swap out for something else, without feeling deprived. Do you love bread, and find yourself eating 5-6 pieces every day in various forms? Well - pick ONE sandwich that you eat daily. And put the contents of that sandwich on a plate. Eat it with a knife and fork. Enjoy the rest of your usual daily allotment of bread, but that ONE meal - will be breadless. Do you love french fries? Try a more nutritional version of potatoes that still maintain that crunch. I personally like smashed whole multi-colored baby potatoes with garlic, olive oil, rosemary, and lemon-thyme, roasted in the oven until they're crispy. They are AMAZING. You can put a couple un-breaded chicken tenders on a pan next to the taters in the oven with the same "dressing" but add a few drops of lemon juice to the chicken, and you have a terrific nutritionally-dense lunch.

The point is to make your meals count. Forget about diets. If diets worked, no one would ever fall off them and need to go back on one. Diets are not permanent, they're not sustainable, and they're not fun. Life is way too short to deprive yourself just to lose a 50 pounds. You know this, because you spent how long GAINING that 50 pounds. Which is more fun - gaining or losing? There ya go. So stop trying to fast, or eliminate foods, or waste money on pills or machines.

Instead, GAIN an appreciation for better quality foods that are nutritionally dense and have excellent flavor, that are easy and enjoyable to make, and (maybe most importantly) easy to clean up after yourself. If it's a chore, you're less likely to stick with it. Learn to love parchment paper. Put what you want on the paper, on a baking sheet, and when your meal is ready, just throw the used parchment paper away. No washing necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss