Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 08:16 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

All the charts tell me that 1200 calories is the minimum for my age/height/activity level so in order to lose I pretty much have to go with a calorie intake that's not recommended and not too easy when also trying for healthy.
But it hasn't been too hard once all the foods were looked up for calorie count and nutrition.
Generally, I can keep it at between 650 to 800 a day.
Eggs, chicken tenders, green vegetables, fruits, almond milk, cooking spray (like Pam), .As little of anything containing flour. That's pretty much the basics.
It was a thrill to see regular bacon is only about 30/35 calories a slice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 11:49 AM

575 posts, read 339,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's great that starving yourself is working for you in the short term, but a month is nothing. Get back to us in a year or two and let us know how you're doing. Conventional, and even medical wisdom is that severely restricting calories is unsustainable (and unhealthy) in the long run.
It's been 2 years since I started the starvation diet and 18 months since I stopped it after losing last 60 pounds.

I'm still 215 pounds. Probably the original 210, but right now I can't be bothered to fast for 4 days to completely empty my bowels just to get to the reference weight. I can still fit into the same reference pants that I couldn't fit into at 220, so that's all that counts.

At 6'3" and a wide build, I'm targeting 1,900 calories per day with about 60 minutes of walking per day.
If I decide to do 3 hours of walking, I can up that to 2,400 - so it's up to me how much I can eat any given day.

I had couple smaller gains during last 2 years that I quickly erased within a week or two, when I was experimenting with what exactly can my current metabolism handle.

I believe I have a complete BlackList of compulsive items that never enter my home. There's no reason to expose myself to the compulsivity associated with white bread, shortbread cookies or a raspberry jam.

Every now and then I make a conscious decision to enjoy those forbidden foods (e.g. full jar of the jam in one sitting) at the cost of a much higher calorie burn and some dieting for next 2-3 days. But, it's a deliberate decision now. I'm noticing that the intervals between those events is getting larger (about 3 months now). Meaning, if I gorge on a jar of jam 4 times a year, it's not a disaster.

Since I spent 95% of my life overweight (from early pre-school days), my definition of what constitutes "normal" eating is very different from rest of population - obviously. it would be unrealistic to think I can change it instantly, but I think I'm there now.

But, during last 2 years I discovered lots of new types of food that I cook now regularly and enjoy.

Who knew it's entirely possible to never eat pasta or bread and not crave them ? But once you put that first slice of bread in, the phenomena of craving kicks in....

Old 09-29-2022, 08:12 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I always have been curious what specific foods people eat to lose weight. I just don’t think I could give up carbs, especially foods like rice or pizza. However I find it difficult to lose weight without being hungry all the time.
I suspect the foods that you "can't give up" are exactly the foods that are making it difficult to lose weight.

I have eggs and broccoli for breakfast most days, nuts for a snack, and meat and veggies for dinner. I don't eat lunch.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:12 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I suspect the foods that you "can't give up" are exactly the foods that are making it difficult to lose weight.

I have eggs and broccoli for breakfast most days, nuts for a snack, and meat and veggies for dinner. I don't eat lunch.
That's about what I eat for lunch and dinner.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:05 AM

846 posts, read 682,651 times
I ate the same foods I ate when I was fat. I just ate smaller portion sizes.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:31 AM

2 posts, read 872 times
And you lose weight?

Old 11-29-2022, 05:31 AM

3,121 posts, read 1,010,081 times
No processed foods, cooking at home, no snacking between meals, almost no carbs, intermittent fasting, mindful eating, exercise, sleep, meditation, visualization techniques, eating organic (as much as possible), different breathing exercises etc.

3 meals a day:
- 2 egg omelette with spinach and mushrooms, salsa on top, plus herbal tea OR kefir (goat milk) with egg whites bread and tea.
- veggie soup, salad with a serving of protein, keto ice cream;
- protein + veggies.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:32 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eula88 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sure it is useful for many of us. I personally don't believe that starvation is a healthy way to lose weight. Some of my friends tried it. Well, they really lost several pounds, but they felt tired as they ended up not eating enough food to sustain themselves or give them enough energy for day-to-day tasks. Moreover, I'm sure that this is a big stress for a body after such a mode you might gain even more than before the starvation. Also, I read about it (this article https://betterme.world/articles/is-s...ion-mode-real/ turned out to be useful). Though I didn't try it by myself, it's only my opinion.
If you read the article at your link, you would see that the 1,900 to 2,400 calories per day diet envisioned by @TenderFrost is not a "starvation" diet.

A starvation diet would be in the range of a maximum of 500 to 600 calories a day, according to your own article.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:24 AM

588 posts, read 321,432 times
How are you doing Op?

I believe in eating the foods one prefers but making it healthier. Diets have to be sustainable long term. Portion control though.

I believe in incorporating some fasting but at times life is too chaotic and I cannot time things perfectly. But fasting was nice in that it gave me permission not to eat (which helps inflammation)instead of thinking one was damaging oneself by not eating. I drink a lot of tea, herbal or green between meals, and do not snack.

However I will not do omad, tried it, not good for energy or weight loss or digestion, for me. But fasting 12-16 hours between dinner and “breakfast” is ok. It varies, I have to fast flexibly, might do 14hrs, it depends but I want energy to exercise so if I fast 16+ I don't feel energy to exercise. But, if no time to exercise, longer fasting is good to do. Even 12 hrs is ok.

It helps you reset leptin, increases satiety.

And look at microbiome diet and Mediterranean diet. These are geared towards health and longevity. You would eat unprocessed, live, fermented foods, take probiotics, etc. If you had any way of growing foods that is best.

Last edited by Ghobi; 12-11-2022 at 12:49 AM..

Old 12-12-2022, 11:37 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Now joining the ranks.

I totally agree with the post right above me about eating the preferred food but making it healthier.

I don't eat three meals a day. I haven't for years. However, I have struggled with my weight until this year. Then throughout the year, I've been losing a little bit of weight to the point that I look pretty much like my pre-balloon days. I went from 240 to now 210. Muscle mass does factor in. I have moved on from fast food (McDonalds and the like) to frozen meals for a while

Yeah, I know, I know, they are high in sodium, but so is fast food.

As a matter of fact, the frozen meals have a lot of great nutrients that have resulted in me having the pounds melt off. Also, the caloric amount makes it harder to consume more than you burn.

Fast food has a lot of empty calories and a meal is a lot higher in calories. Also, some fast food has a lot of stuff put in it that is actually not food and the body won't be able to digest properly. Even one meal from the typical fast food restaurants that I know of will have plenty of calories and on top of that, leave you feeling unsatiated as if you haven't eaten anything. I find with frozen meals, I am more satiated and I can go longer without eating.

The frozen meals were just a first step. I have worked my way to fresh meals and actually cooking my own food.

Y'all can knock frozen meals, but hey, you'll fare a lot better than with them McDonalds meals. I know from experience.

Just be sure to drink a lot of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss