U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,423 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This post is gonna be a bit long (I apologize in advance) but I really need help. I'm a 23 year old girl, 173 cm (5 feet 8 inches) , I weigh 74 kg (163 lbs), I workout with weights 2-3 times a week and I walk around 5000 - 10000 steps a day. I weigh and put in EVERYTHING I eat on myfitnesspal and I eat around 1000 - 1200 calories per day. That's pretty low, I'm aware, but the reason it's so low is because I'm on a deadline.

A little backstory: I've been in treatment for bulimia. I have always weighed around 70-72 kg (154 - 158 lbs) but in november last year I managed to get down to 63 kg (138 lbs). The weight loss was not intentional, I had a depressive episode and ate very little since I was sleeping a lot. After new years I ate pretty much anything I could get my hands on for three weeks and managed to get up to 80 kg (176 lbs). I realised this in February, went back to tracking my food with myfitnesspal and at the beginning of March I was down to 75 kg (165 lbs).

My problem: Since March I've been eating around 1000 - 1200 calories per day, still workout with weights 2-3 times a week and getting my steps in but I still see no change. Not in the scale, not in my measurements and not in the mirror. I really wanna get down to around 65 kg (143 lbs) again and I know that will take time but in almost two months I've only lost 1 kg (2 lbs). I started tracking my calories again in February because I wanted to reach 65 kg (143 lbs) by the middle of June, which is almost five months - quite reasonable. Although, now it's only a month left until the middle of June and my weight hasn't moved in two months, the panic is creeping in.

I'm scared the problem is I'm not eating enough but I'm also scared of increasing my calorie intake because I'm on a deadline and that's my biggest issue. I have no clue what to do, I'm so lost. I've always been told that "it's calories in vs calories out", "you have to be in a calorie deficit" etc. I'm eating the right amount of protein and I am in a calorie deficit, but I'm still not losing weight? Should I add more cardio?

There is no scenario where I see the solution being me decreasing my calorie intake even more so if there is anyone who has an answer I'd appreciate it, I'm desperate!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 07:57 PM

1,212 posts, read 458,795 times
You've been in treatment for bullimia. At 5'8", 163 is a perfectly fine weight. Stop obsessing with numbers, and go back to whoever was treating you for bullimia. You're falling into the same mentality that put you there in the first place.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:17 AM

3,574 posts, read 1,930,882 times
What Ghaati said. This is one for professional care and counseling. There is no reason to be desperate, you are just fine and there is no deadline. You just need to get yourself back under professional care.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:03 PM

19,895 posts, read 13,179,587 times
Concept of calorie counting is so played and out of date. Most people who count them will never lose weight effortlessly.

The key to eating healthy and not even care about calories is simply look to eat nutrient dense foods. You need the vital nutrients from foods in order for the body to process fats and help you shed weight.

If you keep eating less nutrient dense foods, you will gain weight while suffering malnutrition from counting the calories.

Take a can of tuna, it has about 400 calories. But it is much better than eating 2 slices of bread which as very little nutrients compared to tuna.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:17 PM

11 posts, read 85,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Concept of calorie counting is so played and out of date. Most people who count them will never lose weight effortlessly.

The key to eating healthy and not even care about calories is simply look to eat nutrient dense foods. You need the vital nutrients from foods in order for the body to process fats and help you shed weight.

If you keep eating less nutrient dense foods, you will gain weight while suffering malnutrition from counting the calories.

Take a can of tuna, it has about 400 calories. But it is much better than eating 2 slices of bread which as very little nutrients compared to tuna.
That may work for you but it may not work for everyone. I will take some of that tuna and make a sandwich out of thin sliced organic whole grain bread. That is what make me feel full. I need to the fiber from the bread. Calorie counting is the only thing that keeps me at a healthy weight. But I also avoid fast, junk, pre packaged foods.

The OP needs to get some counseling more than diet advice at this point.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:45 AM

19,895 posts, read 13,179,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
That may work for you but it may not work for everyone. I will take some of that tuna and make a sandwich out of thin sliced organic whole grain bread. That is what make me feel full. I need to the fiber from the bread. Calorie counting is the only thing that keeps me at a healthy weight. But I also avoid fast, junk, pre packaged foods.

The OP needs to get some counseling more than diet advice at this point.
You just love trolling about the same thing, calorie counting is so out of date even the latest dieticians are now not telling people to focus on calorie counting. Focus eating the right categories.

Junk food is junk period. Anyone can lose weight by avoiding junk food. Because real food is can easily be metabolized and digested by the body so the excess can be removed. Where as junk food, it will gather up in your body and cause inflammation.

I lost over 40lbs without even caring about calorie management. Just eat nothing but wholesome, organic, and carb free.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:49 AM

11 posts, read 85,610 times
Quote:
You just love trolling about the same thing, calorie counting is so out of date even the latest dieticians are now not telling people to focus on calorie counting. Focus eating the right categories.

Junk food is junk period. Anyone can lose weight by avoiding junk food. Because real food is can easily be metabolized and digested by the body so the excess can be removed. Where as junk food, it will gather up in your body and cause inflammation.

I lost over 40lbs without even caring about calorie management. Just eat nothing but wholesome, organic, and carb free.
I am not trolling anyone. Where did I say that I was okay with eating junk food? By the way you can lose weight by eating junk food as long as you are at a calorie deficit. Is it a good idea? NO.

I lost over 40 pounds by doing WW and counting calories. That was over ten years ago and for the most part I have maintained that weight loss. If I gain 5 pounds I restrict my calories and the weight comes off.

My point is there is more than one road to reach a dieting goal.

You advocate for low carb which works for you. That does not mean it works for everyone. Some people want to eat from all the food groups and manage by calorie counting. No-one is advocating for eating junk food.
Please read though my posts instead of responding with a knee jerk reaction.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:18 PM

569 posts, read 226,064 times
Quote:
Yes, it's such a ridiculous concept ! I lost 60 pounds in last ~7 months using that stoopid concept.

But, WTF do I know, I only lost 60 pounds using that concept

God, I love this place !

Old 05-25-2021, 12:14 PM

3,720 posts, read 2,971,066 times
I think you're eating too little for your height and weight. If you consume not enough calories, your metabolism will slow down and you have will trouble losing weight. I prefer to track macros over calories even though they do add up to calories in the end. I put your info into this calculator for losing 1lb a week and it's saying that you should get 1,621 calories a day, 99g of protein, 216 grams of carbs, 46 grams of fat. You can divide your meals into 6 meals a day to help boost your metabolism. Try to get a little bit of carbs, protein and fat with every meal. I don't know what your workout routine looks like, but you can up it to 4-5 times a week and add some cardio if you want. If you're lifting weights, you'll want to challenge yourself and gradually increase weight if you're trying to build strength or reps if you're trying to build stamina. Try throwing some HIIT in there and make sure you're changing up your workouts too. But yeah, don't worry about the scale too much. If you're eating right and exercising, you can look toned and fit and weigh more than you look but it's healthy muscle.

https://www.calculator.net/macro-cal...it=0&x=81&y=20

Old 05-25-2021, 12:22 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,109,288 times
Remember also that muscle weighs more than fat. The number on the scale is just that... a number. If you lose weight at this point, you would likely be losing muscle.

You seem very, very close to switching from bulimia to anorexia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss