Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 04:51 PM

360 posts, read 285,344 times

Advertisements

KETO combined with intermittent fasting. see dr. jason fung on youtube.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:14 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Large weight loss IMO needs to be done under a Dr. supervision - have you looked in/posted in the diet-weight loss thread?

It's 18 lbs. I don't think that's a large weight loss, not after I lost 80 lbs. It's probably unwise to try to do it in a month, though, so I won't.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
As most of us know, obese people (BMI equal to or greater than 30) are at high risk of severe COVID. My BMI is currently 31.9, down from 43 last year. I lost 80 lbs in 2020. It wasn't enough.

In addition to COVID risk, I have liver disease. No, I don't drink alcohol and I have a healthy diet but I still have liver disease that is so advanced I'm at risk of dying from it. The type of advanced liver disease I have (NASH) can sometimes be ameliorated by weight loss. I need to lose a minimum of 10% of my weight and I need to do it quickly. 10% of my body weight is 18 lbs. I want to do this in a month.

I'm currently consuming 1000 calories/day and trying to increase physical activity despite my bum knee. What do you suggest?
Yoga can help with the knee. Yes, it is not a lot of calories burned, but it can help with the knee. Depending on what yoga you do, you may find it help with burning calories.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yoga can help with the knee. Yes, it is not a lot of calories burned, but it can help with the knee. Depending on what yoga you do, you may find it help with burning calories.

Ehh, as someone who has done yoga for decades and has a bum knee I would say that overweight yoga is definitely not a great idea for bad knees. Maybe after losing weight and strengthening the knee. Getting nerve ablation has helped me almost get back to my normal yoga routine, but it was very hard to do anything but a very restricted set of standing poses before that.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:53 AM

732 posts, read 603,553 times
Quote:
As most of us know, obese people (BMI equal to or greater than 30) are at high risk of severe COVID. My BMI is currently 31.9, down from 43 last year. I lost 80 lbs in 2020.
Wow. That's an impressive weight loss, particularly for someone your age ...also my age

As I'm sure you know, though, BMI is an imprecise measure of overall "healthy weight". The material difference in your health between 31.9 BMI and 29.9 isn't likely to be determinative of anything. It's just not a sophisticated enough metric to be useful when it's that subtle. Not to say it has no good use (it's easy to apply at least and set a general direction and a general range to shoot for) but using BMI to come up with a -18lbs prescription for better health isn't well-founded.

Last edited by Jessie Mitchell; 09-25-2021 at 09:02 AM..

Old 09-25-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Wow. That's an impressive weight loss, particularly for someone your age ...also my age
Unfortunately, the weight loss in 2020 may be what triggered the problems with my liver. I was losing 10-12 lbs a month.

My weight loss was unplanned. But I'd caution anyone who is thinking about losing a lot to consult medical professionals first.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:07 AM

732 posts, read 603,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Ehh, as someone who has done yoga for decades and has a bum knee I would say that overweight yoga is definitely not a great idea for bad knees. Maybe after losing weight and strengthening the knee. Getting nerve ablation has helped me almost get back to my normal yoga routine, but it was very hard to do anything but a very restricted set of standing poses before that.
I'm a decades-long yoga practicer... and yes, you're right. Yoga only helps a "bad knee" to the extent it can both strengthen leg muscles and help with flexibility, but there are other more knee-friendly things you can do to achieve that. Yoga can be murder on knees too depending on what exactly is a person's particular knee issue, and if a person is overweight, not only can the additional weight put more pressure of the wrong kind on the weak knee (and especially older knees), the extra fat around the knee can cause very damaging compression around the joint when doing deep knee bends of any kind.

Yoga is great, but you need to be careful how you do it with bad knees.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:45 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
It's actually not very impressive when you consider how she lost it:

Quote:
last year I had a nervous breakdown. I was living alone and freaking out on a daily basis. Some days -- I don't know how many -- I didn't eat at all. Other times, I might have had a bowl of soup, which is all of 125 calories.
This is a prime example of how many people will have a knee jerk reaction that all weight loss is good--losing 80 pounds due to a nervous breakdown isn't something to be applauded.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's actually not very impressive when you consider how she lost it:

This is a prime example of how many people will have a knee jerk reaction that all weight loss is good--losing 80 pounds due to a nervous breakdown isn't something to be applauded.

I agree. I wasn't in a state to be thinking rationally about what that kind of loss might do.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:28 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Quote:
As most of us know, obese people (BMI equal to or greater than 30) are at high risk of severe COVID. My BMI is currently 31.9, down from 43 last year. I lost 80 lbs in 2020. It wasn't enough.

In addition to COVID risk, I have liver disease. No, I don't drink alcohol and I have a healthy diet but I still have liver disease that is so advanced I'm at risk of dying from it. The type of advanced liver disease I have (NASH) can sometimes be ameliorated by weight loss. I need to lose a minimum of 10% of my weight and I need to do it quickly. 10% of my body weight is 18 lbs. I want to do this in a month.

I'm currently consuming 1000 calories/day and trying to increase physical activity despite my bum knee. What do you suggest?
Consider weight loss surgery (WLS). I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy August 2020 due to morbid obesity. I had yo-yo dieted for decades, into my early 50s. I was at a point of, "is this a viable permanent solution to a chronic condition" and definitely a major research project. No one should go into it lightly. "For me" and my particulars, it seems to work now 13 1/2 mon out and 171 lbs / 5'11" and athletic. I'll need to keep that going 3-5 years to be definitive that "it worked." Being under the wing of both a nutritional doctor and personal trainer helps too.

I went to MX and a top surgeon. American medicine while world class can have dodgy execution at our filthy hospitals. Private hospitals in the Third World in contrast: oh yes. Summer last year was a lull in the plague, too. 1/5 the cost for demonstrably superior care and great contagious disease protocols. Their medical staff actually cared. Nice people and I returned the favor by being a cooperative patient.

This solved the problem for sure. Some die, others have serious complications. Others were mentally ill to begin with and twist themselves into serious trouble post-op. I've prowled various (social media) groups a year reading all about successes and failures.

"A month" isn't sufficient time for meaningful results, unf. Personally, I realized it was time to get ahead of the 8-Ball vs. behind it so I didn't also develop...advanced disease. Good luck, though.

Morbid obesity and the Plague also don't go together well: "The greatest risk of developing severe COVID-19 and being hospitalized with the disease or dying of it was in patients with the highest body mass index (BMI) scores, according to a CDC report." -=Apr 27, 2021
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.