Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 11:11 AM

42,854 posts, read 26,322,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Thanks for the smile.

Well, everybody's got their own idea about weight loss. I kinda knew that.

I'm really sticking to 1000 per day. Breakfast sandwich (DKB English muffin, egg, 1/2 slice provolone, 2 Gardein plant-based sau'sage patties) is 390 cal, apple-date-walnut salad is 300, blackened mahi-mahi with rainbow baby carrots and cauliflower is 300. I drink water and unsweetened green tea, supposed to be good for your liver.
I limit my caloric intake to 1200 per day, but I fast every day until noon at which time I have a small salad or a bowl of soup, then I eat dinner around 6pm, I don't eat anything after dinner. Another thing I've tried that works pretty well is to not limit my caloric intake except for two days during the week when I only eat 500-600 calories a day.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:11 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,238,434 times
Quote:
As most of us know, obese people (BMI equal to or greater than 30) are at high risk of severe COVID. My BMI is currently 31.9, down from 43 last year. I lost 80 lbs in 2020. It wasn't enough.

In addition to COVID risk, I have liver disease. No, I don't drink alcohol and I have a healthy diet but I still have liver disease that is so advanced I'm at risk of dying from it. The type of advanced liver disease I have (NASH) can sometimes be ameliorated by weight loss. I need to lose a minimum of 10% of my weight and I need to do it quickly. 10% of my body weight is 18 lbs. I want to do this in a month.

I'm currently consuming 1000 calories/day and trying to increase physical activity despite my bum knee. What do you suggest?

I suggest you keep going until your BMI is lower and it's obvious you don't need to lose more weight. A month or so ought to do it.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:28 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,559,609 times
Fluffy, are the liver issues caused in whole or in part by MGUS?

In any event I was of the opinion that NASH can be caused by sugar/ carbs. So what were you eating?

When I was doing Intermittent Fasting (1500 calories every other day) for 6 months.. I was doing Keto on the IF day. And my liver results were pristine. They had never been better. And I get tested every three months so you could get a good sense if things were going south.

I just got some scary liver results (that are thankfully going down) - I definitely had been eating sugar in the days before hand but I also am not sure that it wasn't due to the vaccine. But these results were after 3 months of eating normally again. So my liver results were much better doing IF than eating every day.

I have dieted my entire life and calorie restriction always ends in disaster because your body adapts to the lower calories and you can't lose anymore weight after that. For me also you gain weight rapidly if you go back to eating normal calories.

We will see if that happens with IF but for me IF worked already because when I went back to eating "normally" I didn't gain weight hand over foot. I suspect the fact that you have a "feast" day -- every other day - keeps your body from reducing your calories. Either because you get "satiated" on that day or because your stomach gets full on that day. Sending signals to your brain that you aren't starving. With calorie restriction your stomach reduces its size because it is always getting less food and is never full for a long period of time.

Even if you think ADF is too violent for you - you can do a modified version. 1500 cals on your feast day and 500 cals on your fast day.

There are also 2 weeks dieting and then two weeks eating normally diets meant to help your body understand you aren't starving.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I suggest you keep going until your BMI is lower and it's obvious you don't need to lose more weight. A month or so ought to do it.
I never take BMI seriously. My lowest is 236 and that I got after working hard and plateauing at 240 and the 236 was when I had not ate. I felt good, I was fine but yet BMI said I was obese. From my father, I have a naturally stocky frame. I may not have a belly or have them depending on how good I go, but I'm still obese but look healthy. Then again a bodybuilder or strongman is obese to BMI. I wish there was a better way because BMI is based around only height.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Just more of the old lies.

Fact, calories in calories out does not work. More and more studies come out to show this. I spent my entire life being told I wasn't eating the proper calories, then I went on a prepared liquid diet... still didn't work.

Fact exercise does not work for weight loss. There is an interesting book on this called Burn. Where a metabolism researcher in animals found that the body has a constrain on how much calories it will burn. Once you get to a certain point your body starts shutting down systems... and doesn't that make sense.

He did metabolism tests on animals in the wild and in captivity... same TDEE.

He did that with humans and hunter gatherers in Africa... same TDEE.
Yes to most of what you post. Some of it I cannot verify. But weight gain and loss are probably metabolic issues.
Genetics have much to do with individual weight gain and retention.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:06 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,300,380 times
Quote:
As most of us know, obese people (BMI equal to or greater than 30) are at high risk of severe COVID. My BMI is currently 31.9, down from 43 last year. I lost 80 lbs in 2020. It wasn't enough.

In addition to COVID risk, I have liver disease. No, I don't drink alcohol and I have a healthy diet but I still have liver disease that is so advanced I'm at risk of dying from it. The type of advanced liver disease I have (NASH) can sometimes be ameliorated by weight loss. I need to lose a minimum of 10% of my weight and I need to do it quickly. 10% of my body weight is 18 lbs. I want to do this in a month.

I'm currently consuming 1000 calories/day and trying to increase physical activity despite my bum knee. What do you suggest?
The McDougall Program for Maximum weight loss. by Dr. John McDougall, M.D.
This really works, although it is restrictive for many people. But it works! You don't have to starve yourself on low calories. You don't even need to exercise with it. But exercise helps lose more. I did this plan vigorously way back when, and still use a lot of the same type of eating to this day. I had tried almost "everything" and nothing ever worked like this did. I lost 49 lbs in 3 months time. I walked every evening at a pace i could handle, working my way up. I did this diet because a doctor wanted to put me on statins because he said my cholesterol was up. I said "No way, I can fix this." So I did.

It works when you do it the way he outlines it in his book. If you want a more up to date version, you could try The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall as well. He also has some older books out there like "12 Days to dynamic health." They all work. I have most of his books that I keep for reference.

So, if you are trying to lose 30 lbs a month or more, it's not going to happen unless you cut off some limbs. Slow and steady wins the race they say, although with The maximum weight loss plan, it expedites it a lot.

Most mainstream diet books are doomed to fail. Because you still eat the same foods that got you into this mess. You could also try this one, which is just nothing but potatoes, like Penn Jilette did. He lost over 100 lbs in 3 months. Spudfit challenge. The original spudfit guy lost 100 lbs in a year with that.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:56 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,871,441 times
Quote:

I suggest you "re-calibrate" your need for "speed." Losing weight isn't a race in time. Try to lose it slowly. It's more healthy for your system (your liver, too.)

If you want to lose the weight a healthy way, then no more than 2 pounds a week, and that's still quite fast.

Good for you for losing the 80 pounds in 2020.
What's your BP like?
Blood sugar?
Blood Oxy (at rest AND after 6 minutes of jogging?)
Heart rate (at rest AND after 6 minutes of jogging?)

How quickly does your pulse increase as you begin jogging?

Have you looked into "KETO" type diet?

Donuts can go straight to one's hips!

You could be called "fluffierthewondercat!"

Old 09-25-2021, 06:18 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,541,148 times
Quote:
Alternate day fasting.

I would lose 1 lb per fast - but it did slow down after 3 months.
That was gonna be my suggestion. I would also think that they can raise their caloric intake to around 1800 calories on their down day. Of course, there is also a lot of cellular repair that happens when someone does not eat for 24 hours, so the benefits from this for ones health are immeasurable.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,541,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The McDougall Program for Maximum weight loss. by Dr. John McDougall, M.D.
This really works, although it is restrictive for many people. But it works! You don't have to starve yourself on low calories. You don't even need to exercise with it. But exercise helps lose more. I did this plan vigorously way back when, and still use a lot of the same type of eating to this day. I had tried almost "everything" and nothing ever worked like this did. I lost 49 lbs in 3 months time. I walked every evening at a pace i could handle, working my way up. I did this diet because a doctor wanted to put me on statins because he said my cholesterol was up. I said "No way, I can fix this." So I did.

It works when you do it the way he outlines it in his book. If you want a more up to date version, you could try The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall as well. He also has some older books out there like "12 Days to dynamic health." They all work. I have most of his books that I keep for reference.

So, if you are trying to lose 30 lbs a month or more, it's not going to happen unless you cut off some limbs. Slow and steady wins the race they say, although with The maximum weight loss plan, it expedites it a lot.

Most mainstream diet books are doomed to fail. Because you still eat the same foods that got you into this mess. You could also try this one, which is just nothing but potatoes, like Penn Jilette did. He lost over 100 lbs in 3 months. Spudfit challenge. The original spudfit guy lost 100 lbs in a year with that.
I know someone who traveled to his clinic in California and stayed there for a couple weeks, and did this diet while staying there and having everything monitored. I remember her saying that her diet was mainly potatoes. She had some kind of ovarian cysts or some kind of inflammation, and whatever ailment she had, she said it was greatly reduced on this diet. She came back a true believer, and was constantly talking about it on Facebook, so much so that I ended up stopping following her.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:47 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,156,135 times
Quote:
Just more of the old lies.

Fact, calories in calories out does not work.
More and more studies come out to show this. I spent my entire life being told I wasn't eating the proper calories, then I went on a prepared liquid diet... still didn't work.

Fact exercise does not work for weight loss.
There is an interesting book on this called Burn. Where a metabolism researcher in animals found that the body has a constrain on how much calories it will burn. Once you get to a certain point your body starts shutting down systems... and doesn't that make sense.

He did metabolism tests on animals in the wild and in captivity... same TDEE.

He did that with humans and hunter gatherers in Africa... same TDEE.

And how well is that working out for the morbidly obese? That has got to be some of the worst advice you can give.

Op, it sounds like you eat a pretty balanced meal though I don't think 1000 cals is enough. I think you should try tracking your macros along with calories. Your doctor should be able to tell you what percentage your macros should be. Have you kept a journal of everything you eat and drink? Maybe do that for a month? There are plenty of free sites that you can track that on or do it old school, in a notebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss