Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 10:21 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
my knees felt better after losing 10 pounds, the problem is keeping it off. I home cook almost every night and it's my duty to taste the food to make sure it's perfect, right?

Absolutely. You have to have a taste-test to make sure you didn't put floor wax in the stew.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:45 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
As most of us know, obese people (BMI equal to or greater than 30) are at high risk of severe COVID. My BMI is currently 31.9, down from 43 last year. I lost 80 lbs in 2020. It wasn't enough.

In addition to COVID risk, I have liver disease. No, I don't drink alcohol and I have a healthy diet but I still have liver disease that is so advanced I'm at risk of dying from it. The type of advanced liver disease I have (NASH) can sometimes be ameliorated by weight loss. I need to lose a minimum of 10% of my weight and I need to do it quickly. 10% of my body weight is 18 lbs. I want to do this in a month.

I'm currently consuming 1000 calories/day and trying to increase physical activity despite my bum knee. What do you suggest?
I suggest buying and using a Concept2 Rowing Machine. I have a very bad knee and need surgery.

Here the Concept2 Roower is mentioned with regard to knees:

https://www.for-knees.com/best-home-rowing-machine/

I have two of these, and I much prefer rowing to cycling. I hate elliptical machines.

I bought mine directly from the manufacturer, though I see they now link to Amazon:

https://www.concept2rowingmachines.com/

Old 09-28-2021, 08:49 AM

7,134 posts, read 12,672,910 times
You should be under the care of your doctor and a well-qualified nutritionist. Since your life depends on it!

Old 09-29-2021, 06:13 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Liver enzymes don't tell the whole story.

My GI doc is convinced that when the scan (technically liver elastography "sound wave" technology) is done, NASH will be found. I have some symptoms other than LFTs.
So you have not had any sort of biopsy? It seems like he is making a lot of assumptions even though you haven’t actually had the testing- either via the biopsy or MRI testing. It seems like you are jumping to death is imminent without knowing for sure. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t try to exercise, but it’s better to be under the care of a treatment team who can advise you how to do it properly.

Old 10-02-2021, 10:37 AM

Good thing I wasn't really trying to lose all the weight quickly. I've only shed 3.5 lbs in two weeks so far.

Morning is the best part of my day. I feel great. No pain or fatigue. I run around getting the most important errands done, so I can rest in the afternoon and evening. My BP is high now, in the neighborhood of 150/97, even though I'm on meds.

Having a chronic disease is no fun. I never thought it would happen to me. Take care of your liver, folks, and your liver will take care of you.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 10-02-2021 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-12-2021, 08:35 AM

Update: I've lost 6.5 lbs since starting to diet September 23 when I was 180 lbs. Looks like I'm on track for a 9 lb loss by October 23. That will be half of the weight I need to lose. I hope that is slow enough.

It's a healthy diet but it can get tedious. I picked up some cucumber avocado brown rice maki at Whole Foods last night to add a little variety.

Today I get the scan that will show how much damage my liver has endured. Wish me luck.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:19 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Update: I've lost 6.5 lbs since starting to diet September 23 when I was 180 lbs. Looks like I'm on track for a 9 lb loss by October 23. That will be half of the weight I need to lose. I hope that is slow enough.

It's a healthy diet but it can get tedious. I picked up some cucumber avocado brown rice maki at Whole Foods last night to add a little variety.

Today I get the scan that will show how much damage my liver has endured. Wish me luck.
Well done

Old 10-12-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well done

Oh, it's easy...when you can't eat anything with sugar in it.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Good thought. I just read that rapid weight loss also damages the liver, so I guess my original strategy is out.

I do have hand weights, BTW.
I think it really comes down to a whole foods, plant based diet. No processed foods. And you might also want to skip the gluten, as others have said.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think it really comes down to a whole foods, plant based diet. No processed foods. And you might also want to skip the gluten, as others have said.
I'm not gluten-intolerant and I don't have celiac disease so I see no point in giving it up. This obsession with ridding one's diet of gluten "just because" is kind of silly.

Going Gluten-Free Just Because? Here's What You Need to Know.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...w-201302205916

After being confined to health-food stores for years, gluten-free foods have become the latest food fad. Supermarket aisles abound with products proudly labeled "Gluten free," and many restaurants now offer gluten-free options.

For people who can’t tolerate gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley, this abundance is a blessing. But lately it’s become hip to go gluten-free. Based on little or no evidence other than testimonials in the media, people have been switching to gluten-free diets to lose weight, boost energy, treat autism, or generally feel healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss