Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 10:11 AM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
The study was purposely designed to mimic what proponents had been recommending.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/intermit...loss-research/

So, they weren't testing what you have been doing, they were testing what they heard was being recommended. One of the co-authors of the study, a cardiologist, was an avid follower of IF before beginning the trial.
The proponents of IF that I watch don't propose one to eat whatever they want, that was another major flaw in the study. Everyone that I watch suggest Keto plus IF and that has most definitely worked for me, my muscle mass is above 45% and body fat 13.5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
When I first heard of this diet, it immediately struck me as being silly. I don't know if it includes drinking during the fasting 16 hours. If it doesn't, it would be a shock to the system, and the body would have to produce water from its fat and muscle tissues. But either way, starving for 16 hours -- and feeling miserable -- and than allowing yourself to eat whatever you want, is a sure way to GAIN weight. You'd have to have an iron will to stop eating when you can before you feel satisfied.

I am doing a total fast, no drinking, for 25 hours, twice a year (for religious reasons). I can attest that it is a shock to the system, and that I do lose some muscle mass after that.

But in general, as everyone here presumably knows, it is a rare diet that succeeds long term. Once you stop the diet, the body will overcompensate for the temporary deprivation and store more fat. You will gain weight as a result.
I was a total mess health wise before I started my current eating plan and have maintained a 55-60 lbs. weight loss for about 5 yrs. and counting and I don't think there's any scenario where I can't continue staying lean. Before I tried keto and IF, all of my previous diet attempts failed miserably.

By the way, everyone that I live with contracted covid and I had no effects from it which I attribute to eating healthy.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:28 PM

313 posts, read 255,603 times
Quote:
When I first heard of this diet, it immediately struck me as being silly. I don't know if it includes drinking during the fasting 16 hours. If it doesn't, it would be a shock to the system, and the body would have to produce water from its fat and muscle tissues. But either way, starving for 16 hours -- and feeling miserable -- and than allowing yourself to eat whatever you want, is a sure way to GAIN weight. You'd have to have an iron will to stop eating when you can before you feel satisfied.
This is why when I was first told about IF I knew it would never be for me. First off, I get HANGRY when I don't eat. Secondly, as a person who has had an unhealthy relationship with food my entire life, including periods of binging until sickness, you CANNOT tell me that I can "eat whatever I want as long as it's only during X hours". I would then say "Hold my beer" and proceed to eat 8,000 calories during my window. Ugh.

Most of what I hear about IF being successful is that due to people eating in such a small window and therefore creating a caloric deficit. If it works for them, Awesome. I just know it will never work for me.

Oh, and to answer the person who wrote this comment I quoted, you can drink during a fasting period-my husband does it, he sticks to black coffee and water only.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:45 AM

761 posts, read 446,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The proponents of IF that I watch don't propose one to eat whatever they want, that was another major flaw in the study. Everyone that I watch suggest Keto plus IF and that has most definitely worked for me, my muscle mass is above 45% and body fat 13.5%.
It may be true that the proponents you watch don't recommend eating whatever you want but that doesn't mean the study was flawed. It just means that the study was done to determine the results when people are told they can eat whatever they want. And the results weren't good.

You say your muscle mass and body fat numbers are good.

However, if you're on a Keto diet plan, it's not approved for long-term health. Are you aware of the long term risks?

Old 02-01-2022, 10:11 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
This is why when I was first told about IF I knew it would never be for me. First off, I get HANGRY when I don't eat. Secondly, as a person who has had an unhealthy relationship with food my entire life, including periods of binging until sickness, you CANNOT tell me that I can "eat whatever I want as long as it's only during X hours". I would then say "Hold my beer" and proceed to eat 8,000 calories during my window. Ugh.

Most of what I hear about IF being successful is that due to people eating in such a small window and therefore creating a caloric deficit. If it works for them, Awesome. I just know it will never work for me.

Oh, and to answer the person who wrote this comment I quoted, you can drink during a fasting period-my husband does it, he sticks to black coffee and water only.
Yup, get me down in front of a good half pound cheese burger, a mess of fries, two pints of beer, and one of them molten lava cake things and leave me to it. Good 3,500 to 4,000 calories and I'd die happy, and probably sooner than I'd care to, if that was lunch every day. And you say I get to eat for eight hours, that's plenty of time for a nice steak and a plate full of mashed potatoes and a pint of some good ice cream. Probably could squeeze in most of a party size bag of potato chips. If I wanted to blow up to 300 pounds in a year IF would probably work. Otherwise I'll just need to actually make reasonable food choices anyway so I don't see any reason to stick to a rigid schedule.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:14 AM

903 posts, read 664,395 times
Quote:
Were you losing weight during that long period of time? And how much protein were you eating at your last meal of the day?
I lost about 20 lbs. No idea how much protein I was eating. It was 50 years ago. I was lucky, I never liked breakfast foods, and my mom never forced me to eat breakfast. My son was the same way. Never ate breakfast before school. He is now 45 and it hasn't seem to hurt him.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:18 AM

903 posts, read 664,395 times
Quote:

I am doing a total fast, no drinking, for 25 hours, twice a year (for religious reasons). I can attest that it is a shock to the system, and that I do lose some muscle mass after that.

But in general, as everyone here presumably knows, it is a rare diet that succeeds long term. Once you stop the diet, the body will overcompensate for the temporary deprivation and store more fat. You will gain weight as a result.
You can drink water and my husband drinks tea and has 1 cup of coffee when following IF. I drink water all day. We both have been doing it for years. We never gorge ourselves as we have our meals planned out and measure everything. Typically.....5-6 ounces of meat or fish, 2 cups of green vegetables, salad or things like Spaghetti squash or cauliflower. And also a small piece of fruit. We do this twice a day.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
It may be true that the proponents you watch don't recommend eating whatever you want but that doesn't mean the study was flawed. It just means that the study was done to determine the results when people are told they can eat whatever they want. And the results weren't good.

You say your muscle mass and body fat numbers are good.

However, if you're on a Keto diet plan, it's not approved for long-term health. Are you aware of the long term risks?
The long-term risk is 100 times less than the other alternatives in my opinion based on what I've seen. Every blood marker for heath has dramatically improved since adopting keto and IF, if you are seeking longevity, I advise you to adopt the diet.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:08 AM

761 posts, read 446,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The long-term risk is 100 times less than the other alternatives in my opinion based on what I've seen. Every blood marker for heath has dramatically improved since adopting keto and IF, if you are seeking longevity, I advise you to adopt the diet.
What blood markers are there for brain, kidney, pancreas or lung cancer?

The Seventh Day Adventists, of Loma Linda, California, live 10 years longer than other Americans, on average. They are mostly vegetarians and vegans as I am.

What large group can you point to that has been documented to have great longevity on Keto.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 02-02-2022 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-02-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
What blood markers are there for brain, kidney, pancreas or lung cancer?

The Seventh Day Adventists of Loma Linda, California, live 10 years longer than other Americans, on average. They are mostly vegetarians and vegans as I am.

What large group can you point to that has been documented to have great longevity on Keto.

Most plants are healthy to eat, and I eat a lot of cruciferous vegetables, mushrooms, beets, etc. and very little meat in my diet. The problem with most Americans' diet is processed foods and unhealthy oils along with far too many carbs and protein.

The longest-lived people on the planet in Hong Kong and Japan eat meat but most of it is seafood and that's my meat of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss