Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 04:55 AM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I agree with a lot that he has to say but I have doubts about some things. I believe he went so far as to say sugar, which includes fructose from fruit, is a poison. I checked out the latest Blue Zone book (copyright 2021) from my local library and was surprised to see how much fruit some eat in those zones.

The Seventh Day Adventists in Loma Linda, California: 27% of their diet consists of fruit.

Ikaria, Greece: 16% of their diet

Sardinia, Italy: Fruit is only 1%. But 47% of their diet consists of whole grains!

Dr. Gundry made a good observation about all the Blue Zones eating very little meat. But I haven't heard him say anything about the above percentages that are high in fruit and whole grains.
Gundry says you can eat a little bit of fruit in season of the fruit if you're not diabetic. Eating the standard American diet (SAD) made me a diabetic so fruit will spike my insulin as easily as a doughnut.

I read the Plant Paradox when I became a diabetic with all manner of health problems and since that time have implemented his recommendations and it has led to perfect health and all blood tests, BP, etc. now are perfect or nearly so as is my weight and look.

Some people, including my wife, can eat fruit and grains without having problems, I'm just not one of those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 06:52 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,826 times
Quote:
Okay, it sounds good but how did dairy become a food group? That's something you might look into. Throughout the vast history of man living and evolving on earth, there was no such thing as "dairy".
After doing a quick search, it seems that "dairy" became a food group in 1922. And now it is said that we should eat from all the food groups like we can't be healthy without dairy?

Cow milk was designed especially for calves so they could put on rapid growth for survival reasons. And animal protein in general is pro-growth. When people are no longer in their growing years, what happens when they keep eating lots of pro-growth foods? Well, I'll leave you to figure that out. :-)

Pro-growth foods are: 1) animal protein 2) carbohydrates and 3) lipids (fats)

Buy the way, have you noticed that the dairy industry is not allowed by the FDA to claim that their products help maintain or build strong bones? No, they are not allowed to make that claim because it has never been proven. But they can say that dairy is a good source of calcium, because it is. It just doesn't build strong bones because it's acidic and not retained in the body.
Since we don’t eat breakfast we don’t have milk as often. I do make yogurt and drain the whey for a Greek style yogurt for higher protein. We have it with fresh fruit or use it in place of sour cream.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:40 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times
I naturally usually don't eat between 7 pm and 11 am next day. Sometimes I eat at 10, sometimes at noon. But usu. about 11 or 11:30. It's just a habit. But I do drink (green tea, coffee, water) 24X7.

I didn't know that was a diet thing, now, called intermittent fasting. Interesting.

My IF does keep a check on my weight. In fact, I lost too much weight last year because of stress. I've picked up a few lbs since then, though.

I try to eat healthy, though. I don't gorge or eat fast food, etc. I try to eat more protein these days. I've started working out with weights because I have lost muscle due to my age, but I have one of those electronic at-home fat measurers; it says my BF is in normal range. My BF was higher decades ago when I'd gained weight after quitting smoking. I was younger, of course, and while I didn't eat a lot at night, I did eat past 7 because of work hours.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Yeh if you fast for like a whole year, and are already skinny

24hr fasts, or Ramadan will not cause muscle loss.

Old 04-13-2022, 06:39 AM

7,911 posts, read 3,454,943 times
Quote:
What blood markers are there for brain, kidney, pancreas or lung cancer?

The Seventh Day Adventists, of Loma Linda, California, live 10 years longer than other Americans, on average. They are mostly vegetarians and vegans as I am.

What large group can you point to that has been documented to have great longevity on Keto.

Ah so this is your angle. You're upset that people have found something that helps them lose weight but still allows them to eat plenty of meat.

For myself I have found that cutting sugar out almost completely and reducing my carb intake(not enough to call it keto per se) keeps me from getting hungry outside my eating window. I'll eat the burger with the bun, for example, but I'll skip the fries. Yes I think I'm eating more meat than I was but I'm also eating a lot more vegetables. When you cut back on carbs if you want variety you have to use vegetables. I'm also not afraid to cheat every once in a while. I enjoy the variety in my diet but sometimes a treat is in order.

IF is more about the eating window than it is about the source of your calories, this is true. It doesn't mean you can't mix in good lifestyle/nutritional choices in to it as well and I think you'll get the best results if you do exactly that.

For me the results have been nothing short of miraculous, and I wouldn't be where I am today healthwise if I hadn't given this lifestyle a try. Any deficiencies you may see don't seem like reasons not to do it in my view, but more as reasons to adjust my personal habits to compensate. I don't feel any sort of deprivation and feel this will be sustainable long term because of that.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:13 PM

75 posts, read 65,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHelpful View Post
There is no denying the fact that Intermittent fasting can lead to muscle loss if not done correctly. It is essential to ensure that you are getting enough protein and nutrients while following this diet plan. Additionally, it is important to focus on compound exercises that help in muscle building and strength training. With the right approach, you can minimize muscle loss while intermittent fasting.
That was my thought as well. I.F. is a tool but what nutrition plan you're using in combination with it is going to make a huge difference. Some people are doing I.F. but eating junk when they do it so it's not helping them.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:38 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Back in the early 1980s, a friend was doing this cool diet; he could eat whatever he wanted from the time he got up until 3 pm, then nothing but water after that. It sounded like magic; ice cream and bacon every day!
I don't remember it being called intermittent fasting back then, and I didn't hear any more that sort of diet until a few years ago.

I'm doing IF now, but I don't eat nonstop for 8 hours. I eat a satisfying, low-carb meal (usually eggs and broccoli) at around 11am or noon, then stop eating until around 3pm, when I have another delicious meal (salad or veggies, meat), then stop eating. I drink water or tea any time, but no calories. This stop-start approach to eating is supposed to help regulate blood sugar.

I don't walk around hungry (though I do get hungry as 11am approaches), and I've lost interest in carbs. In 3 months, I've lost about 15 pounds and my fasting blood sugar has dropped about 10 points. I get labs next month, I'm hoping for stellar A1C and cholesterol readings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss