Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 07:14 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times

Advertisements

Hi, long story short I am 5 feet 10 inch male. I have gained from 2019 to 2022 110 pounds. I am classified as morbidly obese to the Doctors.

Journey here has led to sleep apnea (waiting for the sleep study). I am drained waking up in the morning and through the day. Mornings are the only time able to truly exercise so up in the past at 3 and 4 in the morning. Waking up at 530 feel drained.

Working on losing weight without much exercise at the moment. As mentioned early morning is the only time able to workout and weather hasn't cooperated much to go for walks outside. So I am researching if I should do a diet plan. Looking back at what has worked in the past is just lot of self control and discipline. Gave up sweets (have a really bad sweet tooth). Gave up fast food, junk food, chips, and so forth. For a while went on a vegetarian diet. Portion control. Not having two sandwiches at lunch. 2 not 4 packs of oatmeal in the morning. Not a sandwich before bed. Not fast food for dinner. No pasta just rice. Only one cup of rice not 2 to 4.

IDK feel don't need a diet plan. Just need to get back to routine again. Giving up red meat, giving up fast food, chips, cookies, and so forth. Normally eat the scraps my daughter has on her food tray if she doesn't eat them.

Any thoughts or feedback? Do you feel diets help or any recommendations?

Random question bought these apple sauce veggie pouches for my daughter. Was thinking of buying some extras for snacks through the day.

Normal meal be

Oatmeal or 2 eggs

Veggie pouch

Hummus and carrots/celery

1 peanut butter sandwich and 1 serving of baked veggie straws or chips

Veggie pouch

Apple

Rice cake with peanut butter

Chicken, rice, and veggie meal for dinner (2 thin sliced chicken breast/2 servings of vegetables/1 serving of rice)

Sugar free ice popsicle for dessert

Drink about 64 ounces of water a day. Goal is 120 ounces of water a day.

Would like to be 230 by May. Then hopefully start back up running again by then. Run a 5K be September. Then my next goal is by September be 200. Then 180 by January of next year.

Hopefully get back to the gym this Summer if COVID has a momentary decrease in our area. With my heart stuff trying to be cautious. Usually after work I work out in the past. We have a gym at work and where I live. Plan to sign our LO up at the YMCA soon so want to get some use out of the Y as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 08:42 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
I don't understand, is all of that ONE meal? Or can you break it down to 3 meals, it's confusing.

I would drop the processed food (veggie pouches, chips) and add some raw food. Fresh fruit with breakfast. A salad with your main meal. I also find drinking carbonated drinks (seltzer, not soda) helps fill me up, to the point that I can't really drink them anymore, just a few sips.

Do you consider a cup of cooked rice to be one serving?

Old 01-25-2022, 09:26 AM

310 posts, read 323,061 times
First off congratulations for starting a diet. Its really the hardest part of the whole thing.
Get rid of timeline expectations. Losing weight is not linear and some weeks you will lose a decent amount and other weeks nothing. And when you do get to a week with no loss, just keep on pushing ahead. Not reaching a timeline weight goal can really mess with your mind, so ditch those expectations.

Your diet needs some tweaking. Get rid of the veggie straws and chips. Those offer no nutritional value, just empty calories. You need to make the calories you do eat count.
I don't know what a veggie pack is, but chances are the applesauce has sugar in it. I would ditch it. Eat an apple instead. More nutritious and has fiber.
Try and avoid simple carbs. They are found in baked goods - crackers, muffins, cookies, cakes, scones, etc...
Focus on eating foods that a are minimally processed.
Get moving. If you cannot go to a gym start walking. There are lost of exercises you can do that do not include a gym. They are easy to find using Goggle.

The most important part is record your food.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2022, 07:03 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, long story short I am 5 feet 10 inch male. I have gained from 2019 to 2022 110 pounds. I am classified as morbidly obese to the Doctors.

Journey here has led to sleep apnea (waiting for the sleep study). I am drained waking up in the morning and through the day. Mornings are the only time able to truly exercise so up in the past at 3 and 4 in the morning. Waking up at 530 feel drained.

Working on losing weight without much exercise at the moment. As mentioned early morning is the only time able to workout and weather hasn't cooperated much to go for walks outside. So I am researching if I should do a diet plan. Looking back at what has worked in the past is just lot of self control and discipline. Gave up sweets (have a really bad sweet tooth). Gave up fast food, junk food, chips, and so forth. For a while went on a vegetarian diet. Portion control. Not having two sandwiches at lunch. 2 not 4 packs of oatmeal in the morning. Not a sandwich before bed. Not fast food for dinner. No pasta just rice. Only one cup of rice not 2 to 4.

IDK feel don't need a diet plan. Just need to get back to routine again. Giving up red meat, giving up fast food, chips, cookies, and so forth. Normally eat the scraps my daughter has on her food tray if she doesn't eat them.

Snipped this off vs. the plan as-explained. Plans are pointless and unsustainable. Belief systems can be changed however. One thing I know about this part of C-D, opinions vary wildly. Well here's another that is about a methodology vs. a list of to-do's.

I was in similar situation, nearly to the detail. Start of '18, I'd had enough. Found a good nutritional doctor (ND) who understands the complicated factors around weight gain and loss. It's clearly nefarious and multifaceted. If it was a pill they'd have invented it fifty years ago. So, I tried and failed though her counsel was quite good. I failed the program, it didn't fail me...which I figured out later. Being thorough, I tried and failed again early '19

How I solved it is discussed elsewhere. Suffice to say that was 17 1/2 months ago, and I've upended my belief systems without holding onto the reins too tightly. Not "updating" the beliefs, upending them which is a deep subject indeed. White-knuckle weight loss and diets per se never worked well for me across the decades. Words like "self control" and "discipline" are a big setup to fail btw, but have at it.

Read about my radical solution elsewhere if-interested, it isn't difficult to find. That was a method, not a to-do list. As mentioned earlier...

Old 01-31-2022, 03:19 PM

313 posts, read 255,603 times
I would suggest tracking your food with an app like MyFitness Pal. You should also weigh everything-in grams when you can. Your diet sounds overly restrictive and pretty boring and may not be sustainable for very long. Every night you are going to each chicken, rice, and veggies? That sounds awful.

Self control and discipline are important, yes, but also it is important to enjoy what you eat and look forward to it daily. Without being happy with what you eat you are setting yourself up for failure.

Goal weight x 12 is a good place to start to find a good calorie deficit target to hit daily. Try to get 1g of protein per pound of body weight per day (i.e. I weigh ~150 pounds currently and try and get 150g of protein daily). Plan your meals with the protein first. Not only will protein keep you from losing muscle along with fat, you will feel more full.

Fit in treats!!! I have a glass of wine daily and keep my calories around 1700. There is NOTHING wrong with fitting in a daily treat-it will help you stay happy and satisfied and reduce the urges to binge later.

Best of luck and please report back!

Old 02-05-2022, 09:36 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
What sauce are you putting on that chicken? What do you mean by "veggies?" Are they french fries (which are potatoes, therefore "veggies" and therefore basically lying to yourself about "just" eating healthy things)? Broccoli smothered in cheese sauce? Or iceburg lettuce with extra chunky blue cheese dressing and croutons?

How is the rice being dressed? Is it rice pilaf, white rice, brown rice, wild rice, with or without sauce?

The minutia matters in your case. How MUCH peanutbutter are you consuming, and what kind? Skippy original is LOADED with sugar and additional hydrogenated oil has been added to it. Teddie's has no sweetener of any kind at all, and the oil floating on the top in the jar is the oil that separates naturally in the process of grinding peanuts. It can also be poured off instead of mixed in, if you want a denser pastier peanutbutter.

There's no way you've gained 110 pounds in 3 years to become morbidly obese, by eating healthy foods in healthy proportions.

In addition, exercise doesn't require that you leave your house to go walking. Bad weather is not an excuse for choosing not to get your blood circulating.

You can exercise while sitting in a chair. Mornings are the only time you can exercise, so then exercise only in the morning. In the comfort of your own home. For 15-30 minutes every day.

Skinny people die from heart attacks and strokes too. Being a healthier weight doesn't make you healthy. Do you want to be healthy, or do you merely want to weigh fewer pounds?

If the only thing you care about is losing weight, then stop eating. Period, full stop. Starve yourself. You'll get thin, and you'll die thin.

If you want to be healthy, you'll eat better foods, in better portions, and exercise, and live a healthier lifestyle. The weight will come off as part of the process, and you'll get healthier.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:49 PM

761 posts, read 446,053 times
Sleep apnea can be diagnosed at home which would save a lot of time and trouble. There's a pattern of snoring and gasping to watch for.

It starts with loud snoring, then at some point the snoring stops for a few seconds along with no breathing. Suddenly there's a gasp for air and the loud snoring starts up again. That pattern repeats and repeats over and over. If someone at home can observe that pattern while you sleep, that would give you the answer.

Then, to make sure, you can always report this pattern to your doctor.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:25 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times
I have just a tiny piece of advice.

If you're not really getting exercise at all...start small with walking. People usually recommend 1/2 an hour a day, but if that seems overwhelming to you, than start smaller. IMO, consistency is the most important thing.

If you consistently walk even 10 minutes a day, you WILL start feeling GOOD. Getting the blood moving lifts the mood, and soon, you start feeling (indeed, you start craving) more movement, and 15 minutes turns into 1/2 an hour, which turns in to gym memberships or treadmill...anyway...you start actually LIKING exercise.

But consistency is more important than intensity...at least at first.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

Random question bought these apple sauce veggie pouches for my daughter. Was thinking of buying some extras for snacks through the day.

Normal meal be

Oatmeal or 2 eggs

Veggie pouch

Hummus and carrots/celery

1 peanut butter sandwich and 1 serving of baked veggie straws or chips

Veggie pouch

Apple

Rice cake with peanut butter

Chicken, rice, and veggie meal for dinner (2 thin sliced chicken breast/2 servings of vegetables/1 serving of rice)

Sugar free ice popsicle for dessert

Drink about 64 ounces of water a day. Goal is 120 ounces of water a day.

Would like to be 230 by May. Then hopefully start back up running again by then. Run a 5K be September. Then my next goal is by September be 200. Then 180 by January of next year.

Hopefully get back to the gym this Summer if COVID has a momentary decrease in our area. With my heart stuff trying to be cautious. Usually after work I work out in the past. We have a gym at work and where I live. Plan to sign our LO up at the YMCA soon so want to get some use out of the Y as well.
thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss