Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 07:14 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I know lots of people like me that have switched from eating too many carbs and gone to a high heathy fat diet and gotten great results, like me. The diet that almost killed me included tons of fresh fruit (loved it,) whle grains, and low fat everything.

I will say my wife can eat carbs including lots of fresh fruit and her body lowers her glucose down in 2 hours so for her, she can eat fruit but I can't. She had adopted some of my diet and has lost all of her excess weight but she still eats fruits and cake.

We are in our 60's. I would recommend everyone to test their blood at least once a year to see how your diet is affecting your A1C, triglycerides, cholesterol, etc. if you are getting great results with your blood, weight, fitness and health, that's the diet you should keep. I'm getting great blood numbers, I'm fit with 11% bodyfat (super low for my age), high muscle mass, etc...so a visual check confirms my diet is working for me.
Same here. My body treats carbs the same regardless if it's "clean" or from junk food.

I do agree that a high (or very high) fat diet is not sustainable long term. It's great for a 3-day fat fast to kick your body into gear.

The key is to NOT be afraid of fat. Don't eat low-fat or fat-free foods. All they do is replace the fat with sugar, which makes things 10x worse.

Yes, it's easier to overeat as fat generally has more calories per unit measure but it's also more satiating.

Also, don't mix fat with carbs. So heavy cream with pasta is probably not the best mix. Go with creamed spinach.

My body prefers protein over every other macro though. I feel great when eating protein and don't feel bloated. I don't get that burst and crash of energy like I do with carbs.

And my blood sugar levels/A1C have stabilized.

So for me, it's a protein/fat diet with low carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 07:21 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
There is an interesting book out called "Nature wants you to be fat".

This doctor goes into the many species out there that gorge on fruit prior to hybernation... / winter and use it to get fat. Some species even turn insulin resistant, on purpose in order to gain fat for winter.

The doctor then goes into his findings that humans developed a mutation that allows us to gain more fat from Fructose. This probably gave us an edge when we were starving but is now very bad for us.

If you think, oh I don't eat fruit, well apparently fructrose is in everything lately even hamburgers.

Personally, I have never like fruit of any kind... not even candy flavored as fruit. Still overweight but guessing that is because of fructose in other foods.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:05 AM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
There is an interesting book out called "Nature wants you to be fat".

This doctor goes into the many species out there that gorge on fruit prior to hybernation... / winter and use it to get fat. Some species even turn insulin resistant, on purpose in order to gain fat for winter.

The doctor then goes into his findings that humans developed a mutation that allows us to gain more fat from Fructose. This probably gave us an edge when we were starving but is now very bad for us.

If you think, oh I don't eat fruit, well apparently fructrose is in everything lately even hamburgers.

Personally, I have never like fruit of any kind... not even candy flavored as fruit. Still overweight but guessing that is because of fructose in other foods.
More likely is that you eat more calories than you burn.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:19 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
More likely is that you eat more calories than you burn.
Also fruits have been so genetically modified to be sweeter than their ancestors that it is hard to eat just one, at least that is the case with me.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHelpful View Post
The best way to lose weight depends on many factors, including your current weight, activity level, and dietary preferences. However, I would advise against eating fruit if you're trying to lose weight, as fruit contains sugar and calories that can add up.
Fruit is fine depending on what fruit it is. Fruit is loaded fiber, vitamins, and nutrients. Just eat it in moderation.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHelpful View Post
The best way to lose weight depends on many factors, including your current weight, activity level, and dietary preferences. However, I would advise against eating fruit if you're trying to lose weight, as fruit contains sugar and calories that can add up.
Not buying it. If what you say is in fact true the difference in fructose is marginal.
Fruit wont make you fat. Eat it in moderation - its healthy! I realize diabetics cannot eat it, but this is not a diabetics thread. It's a fruit and weight loss thread. Most people do not have any issues when eating fruit. What is better than a crisp apple, or a nectarine right off the tree? Those will not make anyone fat.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:24 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Not buying it. If what you say is in fact true the difference in fructose is marginal.
Fruit wont make you fat. Eat it in moderation - its healthy! I realize diabetics cannot eat it, but this is not a diabetics thread. It's a fruit and weight loss thread. Most people do not have any issues when eating fruit. What is better than a crisp apple, or a nectarine right off the tree? Those will not make anyone fat.
They have a higher glycemic index than many other fruits.

Watermelon is actually a great fruit to eat. It has a low glycemic index.

Berries are also good choices because they typically have greater nutritional value, compared with the same serving size of random citrus or other tree fruits.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:34 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Fruit is fine depending on what fruit it is. Fruit is loaded fiber, vitamins, and nutrients. Just eat it in moderation.
Just shoots up your blood sugar and feeding diabetes far outweighing its benefits.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:18 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Just shoots up your blood sugar and feeding diabetes far outweighing its benefits.
Fruit is a category of vegetative matter. It comes in all sizes, shapes, colors, nutritional content, consistencies...

A palmful of blueberries should have ZERO effect on the properly medicated/controlled diabetic, other than give them the satisfaction of enjoying something they like, and adding some nutrition to their bodies. They are on the list of HEALTHY foods to consume, for diabetics. Strawberries and bananas are also on that list. Apples are not on that list, because apples are loaded with sugar and have proportionately little nutritional value - compared to the same sized portion of the other fruits.

Including a piece of fruit in your daily diet is a HEALTHY option for diabetics.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:50 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Start with false assumptions and you're doomed to reach false conclusions. Fruits, in general, are storehouses of carbs regardless of how they taste.

Due to the unfortuante circumstances under which insulin was discovered (Banting used crushed pancreas to bring down hi BS in rats without their pancreases), we still tend to think insulin's "purpose" is to keep sugar levels low...In fact, Insulin's physiogical purpose is to manage fat metabolism. It turns glucose into fat, lowering glucose levels, and without it, fat can be turned back into glucose, raising levels. Only certain cells of the kidney absolutely require insulin to function normally.

Many comparative diet studies show that low carb diets are superior to the low fat diets in causing weight loss-- over the first 6 months or so. The studies that continue collecting data beyond that show that everybody tends to gain a good deal of the weight back after that and by one year, no one diet seems to be superior to any other.....

Weight loss needs to involve perpetual attention to calorie restriction (regardless of the details of the diet) over the rest of one's life.

Because a lb of fat contains over 4000 cal, and you only burn ~500 cal with each hour of vigorous exercise (and most of us old fogies who need to lose weight can't keep that up for an hour) exercise is not all that great for losing weight, but an hour of exercise a day is a great way to not gain-- preventing an extra 500 cal from turning into fat each day.
The thing about low-carb diets is, that you're not supposed to go off them after you've reached your weight-loss goal. You can gradually add some carb content back in, but you can't go back to your original carby diet without gaining the weight back. People who stay on a relatively carb-restricted diet after reaching their goal do keep the weight off for years. For the rest of their lives.

The problem, I suppose, is that some people who go on a low-carb diet don't realize, that it's not a temporary diet; it's a way of life. They may not be aware that it's a lifelong commitment, and treat it like any other temporary diet. That's not going to work. Some of the low-carb diet books make it very clear, that low-carb represents a healthier way to live, and that it represents a permanent change to one's lifestyle (including regular exercise). Maybe some books aren't clear about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss