Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 02:51 PM

761 posts, read 450,036 times

Advertisements

https://www.livescience.com/centenar...ile-acids.html

"These bacteria could contribute to a healthy gut and, in turn, healthy aging."

Interesting, but, as usual, more research is needed.

I think it's very promising - they're on to something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 03:42 AM

6,159 posts, read 3,380,493 times
Yes, I agree, and this type of thinking is really starting to gain momentum within the medical community.

Your gut, mainly what you put into your gut, absolutely 100% will dictate your well being and longevity.

Prior way of thinking was just to eat balanced according to the US food pyramid, and hope your genetics are better than others. That’s laughable.

As far as the pyramid, that thing is completely off. 250 carbs in one day? That is straight poison and will put you in the grave years before your time.

There are literally hundreds of things you can do to improve your gut health. I hope people really take the time to get educated about all of it.

My favorite guy is Dr. Eric Berg, but there are others just as competent. Even Dr. Berg readily admits that he got it wrong earlier in his career when he was providing care to obese people. He was telling them what to do based off of faulty recommendations that were considered scientific facts in the world of nutrition at that time.

Anyway, I’m really glad to see this huge change going on. I predict that obesity will be much rare in future generations than it is now.

It’s amazing how bad people are nowadays. My generation, Gen X, plus boomers too, so many are in poor health. I feel sorry for them because it’s not their fault. They weren’t taught how to eat properly. The inflammation, insulin resistance, etc. some are even too far gone, just too much damage.

But for most, it absolutely is not too late to make changes. Sure, you will miss those donuts, but you will feel amazing.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:26 AM

The following article provides some good information about diagnosing and treating dysbiosis of the gastrointestinal tract.

https://www.healthline.com/health/di...alth/dysbiosis

What is dysbiosis?

What causes dysbiosis and who is at risk?

What are the symptoms of dysbiosis?

And the article explains various tests used to diagnose dysbiosis.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:36 AM

6,159 posts, read 3,380,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
The following article provides some good information about diagnosing and treating dysbiosis of the gastrointestinal tract.

https://www.healthline.com/health/di...alth/dysbiosis

What is dysbiosis?

What causes dysbiosis and who is at risk?

What are the symptoms of dysbiosis?

And the article explains various tests used to diagnose dysbiosis.
Yes, I’ve been reading a lot lately about how fermented foods can really fix a lot of gut problems, so much so, that you may not even need to correct it with any medication at all.

Apparently, sauerkraut is supposed to be the best for you, but I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of it. Just doesn’t taste that great to me.

But I do like kimchi quite a bit, I think I just got used to eating it all those years I was stationed in Korea. Plain Greek yogurt and plain kefir are some of my favorites as I feel they taste good by themselves.

So to anyone out there, I’d give fermented foods a try even if you don’t have any problems yet.

Old 02-13-2022, 10:32 AM

I had a serious dog bite several weeks ago and had to take an antibiotic for 10 days. During that time I noticed a big change in my stool. No diarrhea but no form. So I started trying out different probiotic products. Probiotic yogurt didn't seem to do anything. A Probiotic capsule, which seemed to be good quality, didn't do much either. So I bought another brand from a different store and within 3 days I noticed a big difference for the better.

Then since they claim the more strains of bacteria you have in your system the better, I went to a vitamin store and bought one with many different strains. But I haven't noticed any change. I've always been in good health, even after the dog bite, so I guess I shouldn't expect to notice any change.

It's very likely I would have recovered to get a better bowel movement if I had not taken any probiotics. I had double pneumonia
when I was 17 and had to take antibiotics. I noticed the same lack of form in stools at that time too but didn't take any probiotics. In time, my stools went back to normal.

Why? Because they say your appendix serves as a reservoir for the bacteria. That being the case, they claim your microbiome would be replenished in about a month.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:22 AM

Moderator cut: deleted reply to deleted post

Are you referring to my post about dysbiosis? I know it seems unrelated to my opening post but I just happened to find the link and thought it would provide helpful information. Those people who reached 100 with healthy microbiomes may have had some microbe problems along the way. And what did they do about it back in the 1930s, 40s, or 50s? Perhaps they relied on home remedies etc. to recover.

There were men and women in the military during world war ll who faced some awful unhealthy situations in combat and I'm sure it had a negative impact on their microbiome. But many of those combat veterans lived to 100 and beyond.

In my opinion, it could mean that they took positive steps to heal whatever damage was done earlier in life.

Last edited by in_newengland; 02-14-2022 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-15-2022, 09:21 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Scroll down to a paragraph in black-print and it says, "Building a healthy microbiome can take up to 6 months if the correct healthy habits are adopted (diet, exercise, sleep and stress management - and also supplements if needed) however it really is a lifelong journey because you need to continue these habits to maintain a healthy microbiome."

I agree that it's a lifelong journey.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:32 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
https://www.livescience.com/centenar...ile-acids.html

"These bacteria could contribute to a healthy gut and, in turn, healthy aging."

Interesting, but, as usual, more research is needed.

I think it's very promising - they're on to something.
I don't have hard time believing that. And there are many foods you can eat to improve your gut bacteria.

It's basically a whole foods, plant based diet that improves your gut bacteria. In addition, this diet reduces your chances of getting, cancer, heart disease, stroke, alzhiemers/dementia, and many other diseases that we consider "normal aging" but are not, at least not to the extent that we have them.

And as another poster said, fermented foods are really good for your gut.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:55 AM

7,291 posts, read 5,173,859 times
I don't like to get into discussions about religion, but-- if you notice in the article sited originally, they found differences in the gut biome of centenarians compared to two groups of younger subjects----How do they know that some of those younger subjects won't themselves become centenarians someday?...The conclusions are based on false logic....

The only conclusion possible is that this is an interesting dicotomy and deserves experimental, not just observtional study.

It's much more likely that differential bowel biomes are the result of illness/conditions than they are to be the cause of them....If bowel bacteria "caused" Alzheiimer's, for instance, then antibiotics should be able to cure it, right? How stupid does it sound when you say it that way?

Zebras live on the open savannah because they like grass. If they moved to the forest, the can't make the grass grow there.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:16 AM

10,916 posts, read 7,427,734 times
I've had to take antibiotics many, many times. But ALL the gut biota doesn't get wiped out, there's always some left to repopulate. You can take "healthy" types of bacteria in probiotics, but if you don't eat the foods they like (prebiotics like fermented foods), they won't thrive.
If you eat lots of carbs, you'll have lots of carb-loving bacteria. If you eat veggies, or meat, or whatever, those are the bacteria that will thrive. (Good analogy with the forest zebras, Guido).

Plus, there's fungus in your gut, too, which may have similar effects on health.

I recently sent a poop sample off to get my microbiome tested. The company says they will figure out what bacteria and fungus I currently have, and they'll make recommendations on how to encourage beneficial biota. They're taking forever to process the sample (it's been about a month), and they sell probiotics, so I'm a bit worried they'll just tell me to buy their products.

I started taking their probiotics (bacteria and fungus) right after doing the sample, and I'm not sure they've made much difference.
I have lost about 4 lbs, but I also cut out carbs and am started intermittent fasting at the same time. Just those "should" have carved off a few pounds.
I'm hoping they'll help with my mild crohns disease; it kind of comes and goes, and it still kind of coming and going, so I can't see definitive results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss