Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 07:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel37 View Post
I’m sorry to hear that you are working so hard yet not being rewarded for your efforts. That's never a good feeling. And having a dr. tell you nothing can be done would be especially frustrating. There should absolutely be things you can do to break through that plateau though.

Here are a few questions that can help narrow things down:

• How many calories are you consuming each day on average?
• When you say greens and lean protein, what are some examples for you?
• How many hours of sleep do you get each night?
I would say i eat around 1300-1500 but im burning a ton also …

Fish, chicken, salad that i’ll do as dressing olive oil & lemon (no pkgd dressing), cucumbers, occasionally kale, string beans

Btwn 7-8

Im also still pretty small in the scheme of things but im at my highest weight ever now & i hate it (5’2” 135lbs) … @ 5’2” i should be smaller & have been
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 07:24 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would say i eat around 1300-1500 but im burning a ton also …

Fish, chicken, salad that i’ll do as dressing olive oil & lemon (no pkgd dressing), cucumbers, occasionally kale, string beans

Btwn 7-8

Im also still pretty small in the scheme of things but im at my highest weight ever now & i hate it (5’2” 135lbs) … @ 5’2” i should be smaller & have been
Maybe you need to flip your thinking. It matters less what the number on the scale says than how healthy and fit and strong you are in general. Don't hold 40-year-old you to metrics of 20-year-old you.

Old 03-11-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe you need to flip your thinking. It matters less what the number on the scale says than how healthy and fit and strong you are in general. Don't hold 40-year-old you to metrics of 20-year-old you.
Yeah … but i have stomach flab now. I dont like it. Nothing fits. I look really really bad & ppl are starting to say things

Old 03-12-2022, 08:24 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yeah … but i have stomach flab now. I dont like it. Nothing fits. I look really really bad & ppl are starting to say things
Excessive exercise can raise cortisol level (stress hormone) and cause excess belly fat. It can stall weight loss and even lead to weight gain. Daily 3-4 hour workouts might be too much for you. Your workouts are longer than what is typically recommended for a 40 year old woman. You may not be giving your body enough time to rest between workouts. I suggest either decreasing the daily workout time or cutting down to fewer times a week to see if it helps. You could use a calorie app to determine if your calorie deficit is too high which can slow metabolism (or to determine if your deficit is too low). In any case, you need to have an accurate account of your calorie intake.

Old 03-12-2022, 05:09 PM

640 posts, read 448,879 times
OP, you might not want to hear this, but why do you insist on losing weight? You might have reached your natural weight by now! You've tried enough, from what you are saying.

Short of putting yourself on some semi-starvation diet, you won't lose a substantial amount no matter what you do. And unless you plan on torturing yourself for the rest of your life, you will gain all that weight you've lost -- and then some -- once you stop dieting.

If you are grossly obese, a doctor could help. Otherwise, live with the weight you have and enjoy life.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
OP, you might not want to hear this, but why do you insist on losing weight? You might have reached your natural weight by now! You've tried enough, from what you are saying.

Short of putting yourself on some semi-starvation diet, you won't lose a substantial amount no matter what you do. And unless you plan on torturing yourself for the rest of your life, you will gain all that weight you've lost -- and then some -- once you stop dieting.

If you are grossly obese, a doctor could help. Otherwise, live with the weight you have and enjoy life.
I dont enjoy having clothes that dont fit. No thats not enjoyable

Im nowhere near obese & many ppl would prob kill to be my size but when ive been much thinner my whole life & now im not, it’s frustrating.

Old 03-13-2022, 04:16 PM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Excessive exercise can raise cortisol level (stress hormone) and cause excess belly fat. It can stall weight loss and even lead to weight gain. Daily 3-4 hour workouts might be too much for you. Your workouts are longer than what is typically recommended for a 40 year old woman. You may not be giving your body enough time to rest between workouts. I suggest either decreasing the daily workout time or cutting down to fewer times a week to see if it helps. You could use a calorie app to determine if your calorie deficit is too high which can slow metabolism (or to determine if your deficit is too low). In any case, you need to have an accurate account of your calorie intake.
^^This. Estrogen helps mitigate the effects of elevated cortisol, so as women start creeping toward perimenopause, we become less resistant to it. For me, 42 was a kind of threshold where I noticed the belly fat, even with being at the low end of normal weight for my height.

OP: Such an intense workout schedule raises cortisol. As can going too low on carbs. Even older women who are slim and active tend to have a little belly fat. It sucks, but eating and training like young men does not have the same shredding effect on us. You might find this article helpful:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/11/w...fat-women.html

Old 03-16-2022, 02:01 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Agreed. It's counterintuitive but exercise less and you may see your weight loss come back.

One reasoning I read was because when you exercise and exert energy, sometimes your body will try to conserve energy and thus lower metabolic rate. Especially if you over do it.

One other thing to try to kick the weight loss plateau is do a 3-4 day fat fast. Talking 80-90% of your calories from fat (butter, heavy cream, etc.).

I did this and it kicked my weight loss into overdrive.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:57 AM

1,098 posts, read 900,737 times
Low carb is not the way to go for long term health. Zero carb is terrible. Eat a couple of bean heavy meals, rice, potatoes, noodles. Keep the fat low and the protein, fruit and veggies high, don’t be afraid of sugar, you will feel better and when you feel better that’s when the momentum starts.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:02 PM

1,098 posts, read 900,737 times
Quote:
Excessive exercise can raise cortisol level (stress hormone) and cause excess belly fat. It can stall weight loss and even lead to weight gain.
Especially on low carb.

Last edited by Jame22; 03-25-2022 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss